I solemnly swear...

PDA

Partisan Ranger
May 9, 2003, 04:35 PM
....as a new gun owner (picking up my K-9 tomorrow), I will never

1. Go around bragging that my handgun is the absolute best in the world, no other can match it, offer passionate explanations at the range to all within earshot about how smart I was to buy this gun.

2. Pretend that having a CCW and packing a gun makes me some kind of macho bigshot.

3. Act like I am the Library of Congress of gun knowledge.

4. Call every other brand of firearm a POS.

5. Think that just having the gun on me is enough and that I don't need to bother practicing.

6. Put my finger on the trigger until ready to shoot, and not keep the gun pointed in a safe direction (the law about keeping it unloaded doesn't apply, at least when I'm carrying it).

Anything I left out - things that novice gun owners shouldn't do?

PR

If you enjoyed reading about "I solemnly swear..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BerettaNut92
May 9, 2003, 05:26 PM
Item 4, subsection a), call every other reasonable defensive caliber than your personal preference a POS?

Navy joe
May 9, 2003, 05:38 PM
7. Take a kid shooting so others will defend my right when I am too old to or gone from this world. Heck, take anyone with a mild interest shooting. Repeat often,

8. To live up to Gov. Doug's challenge by buying one gun a month in order to be an American.

9. Shotgun Dave McC's motto. BA/UU/R. Buy Ammo, Use Up, Repeat.

10. Never touch my gun when I am angry, depressed, tired, or drunk. Lock it up and leave it there. Get help if any of the above are recurrent problems. Cheering yourself up by going to the range is an advanced technique for mild unhappiness only.

On #3, become the darn LoC of gun knowledge, just learn real facts unlike the blowhards down at the feed store/gun shop. The more articulate people out there to defend gunowners and educate, the better.

kalibear45
May 9, 2003, 06:02 PM
Here ya go dude:

1. HANDLE ALL FIREARMS AS IF THEY WERE LOADED.
A firearm offers no guarantee that it is unloaded. Therefore, always treat each firearm with respect.

2. NEVER PULL THE TRIGGER UNLESS YOU ARE SURE OF YOUR TARGET.
Always be positive of your target and what is behind it prior to pulling the trigger.

3. WATCH WHERE YOU POINT YOUR FIREARM'S MUZZLE.
Control the direction of your firearm's muzzle at all times by pointing it in a safe direction.

4. MAKE SURE THE AMMUNITION MATCHES THE FIREARM.
Double check your ammunition to make sure it matches the gauge or caliber of the firearm.

5. ALWAYS MAKE SURE THE BARREL IS FREE OF OBSTRUCTIONS.
Before loading, check for obstructions in the barrel.

6. NEVER TAKE CHANCES WITH A LOADED FIREARM.
Unload your firearm before attempting to cross over any obstacle or hazardous terrain.

7. DON'T RELY ON YOUR FIREARM'S SAFETY.
Because a safety is a mechanical device, it could fail at any time. Always remember to place the safety back on immediately after the shot.

8. STORE FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION IN A SAFE PLACE.
Store firearms and ammunition separate from one another and out of the reach of children. POPGUNS strongly recommends the diligent use of trigger locks when storing firearms.

9. NEVER LOAD A FIREARM UNLESS YOU ARE READY TO USE IT.
Don't load your firearm until you are ready to hunt - and unload as soon as you are finished.

10. NEVER MIX ALCOHOL, GUNS AND AMMUNITION.
Alcohol and drugs impair judgment; never consume either before or during hunting or target practice.

El Tejon
May 9, 2003, 06:15 PM
We affirm to:

1. Follow the Four Rules;
2. Understand that the Four Rules always apply, even in a fight;
3. Train and then I will train some more;
4. Understand that there may be a Problem #2 no matter what they say in the gun shoppe;
5. Understand that it is just a silly pistol, not a death ray or talisman to keep polar bears away.

Get to skul; remember Hackathorn's First Law; spread the word by word and deed!:)

Standing Wolf
May 9, 2003, 07:29 PM
In addition to all the don'ts, I hope you'll be proud of yourself for a.) exercising your Second Amendment civil rights, and b.) doing so safely and sensibly.

I hope you'll get some experience under your belt, and introduce others to shooting, too.

Bowlcut
May 9, 2003, 10:43 PM
And by all means....walk with your head held high. Looking alert and pleasant...dont make yourself a target and hopefuly you will never have to exercise your rights you so proudly defend.

If you enjoyed reading about "I solemnly swear..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!