"Dial 911 and Die".....not just a cliche'

PDA

SJG26
May 9, 2003, 05:18 PM
:what:
Would a firearm have changed this outcome?
Unfortunately, we will never know............from today's Philly Inquirer:
"Unable to pinpoint Zayas' location, horrified 911 operators listened for 18 minutes while Zayas howled in pain as his captors stabbed him repeatedly in the thighs. They demanded drugs and money; Zayas said he didn't have any. There were occasional silences, brief conversations and endless screams......":cuss:

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/news/5818939.htm

If you enjoyed reading about ""Dial 911 and Die".....not just a cliche'" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Navy joe
May 9, 2003, 05:44 PM
Two guys kidnapped? Yeah, I'd say one or both of them being armed woulda fixed things up a lot better. At worst this guy would have died on his feet assuming his attackers had guns too.

I'm sure every good police officer dreams of stopping a crime in progress like this, but in reality they are almost always too late. You could put one cop on every city block and it would not be enough. Take responsibility for yourself.

natedog
May 9, 2003, 06:39 PM
This also shows that just submitting to your assailant and "giving them what they want" is very dangerous. :banghead:

PATH
May 9, 2003, 06:48 PM
:fire: :cuss: 911. Thsi is why people need to be armed!

Standing Wolf
May 9, 2003, 07:23 PM
Police don't prevent or stop crimes: they solve them. Armed citizens stop crimes.

sm
May 9, 2003, 07:42 PM
Something to be said being brought up before 911...I'm grateful.

Self reliance, good neighbors...we may have finally gotten through the party line...after the fact...to notify the police/sheriff.

Even then one was expected to "take care of the situation".

cool45auto
May 9, 2003, 08:52 PM
OMG. That's awful.:(

911::banghead: :cuss:

winstonsmith
May 9, 2003, 10:07 PM
I got mugged a while back by three "disadvantaged youths" One of them had a knife. They took all my money (they ripped a 20, a point of pride and passive agressive revenge for me) and they were going to take my cd player until I said "dude I hear cops"

I called the police on my cell phone. You want to know how long it took them to get there? 20 minutes.

I HAD A KNIFE TO MY THROAT AND IT TOOK THEM 20 MINUTES TO GET THERE.

I was at the cross of two major streets in the middle of San Francisco, at 3 in the afternoon.

Brings much more weight to what someone said "Police solve crimes not stop them"

I wonder what the "disadvantaged youths" would have said if I pulled out a glock 32?

Waitone
May 9, 2003, 10:39 PM
winstonsmith,

No wonder you want to get into this gun thing. Glad is worked out ok for you.

A few months ago my baby daughter (21 years old) had a gun pulled on her. Changed her attitude toward personal responsibility and self-defense.

MarkDido
May 9, 2003, 10:54 PM
Winstonsmith....

>>I wonder what the "disadvantaged youths" would have said if I pulled out a glock 32?<<

If you were in San Fransicso, the disadvantage yutes would have been portrayed as simply trying to rasie money to donate to charity...and you would have been an "angry white male gun nut"

Crimper-D
May 10, 2003, 12:08 AM
An approximate quote from James Thurber:

"Don't go unarmed in Paradise till you are darned sure thaat'swhere you are!";)

AK103K
May 10, 2003, 10:08 AM
Everone needs to read "Dial 911 and die" put out by the JPFO. It will open your eyes and others you tell, to the fallacy of the police protecting you, and their responsibilty to do so. They have made sure that they cant be held liable for not doing so.
My arguement to those who say I'm wrong is this, I hand them my cell phone, show them my knife, and tell them to make the call. Then I ask them who will win the race. :) Its amazing how many STILL resist the idea of taking resposibility for or care of themselves. Darwin was right, only the fittest survive. I aways taught my kids, no one will look out for you better than you. If you dont put yourself first, you will come in last.

Dan Morris
May 10, 2003, 10:42 AM
Last time I needed a backup, it took 22 minutes for pd help to arrive. Knife threatning dude took off before they arrived. I had a .40 behind me. Trust me, I didn't want to USE it! Hel backed down.
Dan

TechBrute
May 10, 2003, 11:44 AM
Ok people, I'm only going to say this once:

911 IS ABSOLUTELY CRITICAL!! YOU MUST DIAL 911!!

Without 911, you'd have to figure out what to do with the body yourself.:D

MarkDido
May 10, 2003, 12:08 PM
I have read that some of the more "creative" criminals out there have been doing home-invasion type robberies, posing as law enforcement.

They'll break down a door, scream "Police!" or "Sheriff!" and proceed to rip off the residents of the house, or worse.

My biggest fear is that one day, some clerk / typist will transpose some numbers on a warrant, and the REAL Sheriff's Office here in Orlando will come through my front door by mistake.

I would then become an unfortunate statistic......

kannonfyre
May 10, 2003, 12:33 PM
For an American city with about 3.5 million people, what is the average police population?

In my country of about 3-4 million souls, we have about 12,500 active duty cops. This means that for every 220 odd people we have 1 officer. That's not very re-assuring for me. The last time is saw a cop was about 4-5 months ago. It really reinforces the feeling that If I am confronted by a violent perp, the only person who can stop his aggression is me.

This is why self defense training, being legally equipped and having a "NEVER be a victim" attitude is essential. IMHO, dailing 911 and expecting the po-po to show up real soon is like still believing in the tooth fairy. :cuss:

Doc
May 10, 2003, 04:36 PM
boy that's scary!

I am glad to say that knowing the police are there to solve crime, not prevent it.
I dial 911 and wait with loaded gun

winstonsmith
May 10, 2003, 08:49 PM
Theres a follow up to my story.

As the cops were taking down the "disadvantaged youth's looking for charities'" description (I have a near photographic memory so it went fast) they said to me something along the lines of "Yeah, I feel bad for you. You're in school, (it happened right outside of my school) and they're not. I mean, they obviously need the money.... more than you"

I was like WHAT THE HELL! I NEED THE MONEY! IT"S MY FRIGGIN MONEY!

"Yes officer."

This thing happened right outside of my school. They can't even get to a violent crime happening to a minor right outside of a SCHOOL.

Just say no to late popo!

blades67
May 10, 2003, 09:01 PM
Just start carrying an axe handle around with you. A good piece of hickory keeps folks honest.:evil:

PsyWarrior
May 10, 2003, 09:03 PM
I have read that some of the more "creative" criminals out there have been doing home-invasion type robberies, posing as law enforcement.

They'll break down a door, scream "Police!" or "Sheriff!" and proceed to rip off the residents of the house, or worse.

My biggest fear is that one day, some clerk / typist will transpose some numbers on a warrant, and the REAL Sheriff's Office here in Orlando will come through my front door by mistake.

I would then become an unfortunate statistic......

A situation similar to this happened in the Nashville area a while back. The officers misread the house number and broke a guys door down. he grabbed his handy little shotgun and got blasted to bits by the cops. The officers did not yell police, search warrant or anything. They just busted the door down and went running in.

Doc
May 10, 2003, 09:26 PM
A situation similar to this happened in the Nashville area a while back. The officers misread the house number and broke a guys door down. he grabbed his handy little shotgun and got blasted to bits by the cops. The officers did not yell police, search warrant or anything. They just busted the door down and went running in.

happened to some friends in med school too. Cops got the apt number wrong (or more likely the clerk in the judge's office!)
They were just sitting there 'mindin dey own bi'niz' and the door came crashing in.

No injuries, they did get to experience felony prone for a little while, during the search the good guys figured out they were in the wrong place fairly quickly.

Made for a good story, especially considering the neighborhood in which they were living.

By the way, the cops raided the correct apt the next night and got all the bad guys.

If you enjoyed reading about ""Dial 911 and Die".....not just a cliche'" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!