Krist Konverter with Gate

PDA

Zero_DgZ
August 31, 2006, 04:32 PM
Greetings all, once more.

I've been eyeballing the Krist Cartridge Konverter thingamabob on their website as of late and I haven't been able to find a way to contact the inventor/manufacturer. For those of us with fancypants target model stainless steel 1858's, is there a stainless (or at least non-black) version of this sucker available anyplace? I can't seem to turn one up.

I may have to get the stock one, remove the finish, and then chrome or nickel it...

If you enjoyed reading about "Krist Konverter with Gate" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Smokin_Gun
August 31, 2006, 06:28 PM
I don't think they make a stainless but here's two websites with Places that sell Kirst products.
http://www.kirstkonverter.com/ported.html
http://www.riverjunction.com/kirst/konverterFAQ.html

I believe R&D Converters Dropins 1858's are made in stainless...

Howdy Doody
September 1, 2006, 01:25 AM
Walt Kirst sometimes posts on the cowboy boards like SASS wire, The Frontier Spot and CAS City. His alias is Samuel Remington.

HUnter58
September 1, 2006, 07:43 AM
They made one in nickel finish at one time.

Cincinnati Slim
September 1, 2006, 09:28 AM
Howdy,

I got a Gated Kirst in a Blue Pietta Remmie. It dropped right in and works great ! Grinding the loading port w/a Dremel took some work and about a dozen 5/8" sanding drums. I Blued the new port with Birchwoods/Casey Cold Blue. It looked good at first but I have to keep touching it up and it doesn't really match the deep factory blue of the rest of the gun. Of course a stainless or polished white steel revolver won't have that problem. I know R&D offers their cylinder in brushed nickle and a machine turned "jeweled" version. It is so easy to drop the cylinder out of a Remmie I'm not sure you really gain much with the loading gate.

As for having the Kirst plated I have some relevant observations. I took the trigger guard of a Remmie and the front strap/trigger guard of a 1860 Colt to the local chrome shop for nickle plating. The price was right; only ten bucks each!
But these guys restore auto bumpers for a living. The plating looked great but it was really thick ! I'm talking 0.003-0.004 thick at least !

This shop was used to chrome plating auto parts expected to be left out in the weather for years. I had to polish and do a little grinding to get the Remmie triger guard to fit back into the revolver frame. I would be hesitant to let these guys plate a close-tolerance item like a revolver cylinder. Especially since these conversion cylinders are usually a tight /close fit to begin with. The cylinder could end up too long, chambers too tight and/or bolt locking notches too small after a thick layer of nickle plating.

Perhaps a Jewelery plating service could plate your cylinder without laying it on too thick.

Good Luck,

Cincinnati Slim

If you enjoyed reading about "Krist Konverter with Gate" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!