Range report,new rollmark Colt 1991

PDA

KillitnGrillit
January 4, 2003, 09:10 PM
Sort of a range report,I have one of the newer rollmarks 1991,blued finish,Govt .45.The gun itself is a very reliable shooter,I fired 400 rds of different types of HP's including +p and even ball ammo,using 12 different mags from several manufactures and never had any missfires,ftf,or fte.Of course thats not even enough rds to even break in a 1911,but it can only get better as far as I can tell, as for accuracy all I can say is I need more practice and that will happen soon I promise,I do enjoy shooting .45's and am very happy with this 1991.Now the finish?Thats a hole new story,when I first seen it and bought it the finish I thought was great,nice blue finish,untill i started useing Sidearmor holster then little by little the holster started wearing off the blue and before I knew it it was scratched then I began to litely sand the inside of the holster wear it's rubbing the slide,then treated the sidearmor with Armorall,Now for the moment I hav'nt notice any new scratches.Maybe later I'll have the pistol refinished.Over all I think I got a good deal,only paided $550.00 and for a starter 1911 thats pretty good in my book.Thanks for reading.

If you enjoyed reading about "Range report,new rollmark Colt 1991" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sean Smith
January 4, 2003, 10:19 PM
Yeah, NO blued finish will hold up to wear well. The only thing blue is really good at is looking nice. :D

SodaPop
January 5, 2003, 01:08 AM
Excuse me but................I was not under the impression that the Colt1991A1 was a +p gun?

I got a good deal,only paided $550.00

Well I paid $375 NIB 4yrs ago.:neener:

tex_n_cal
January 5, 2003, 02:57 AM
Yes, SodaPop, but you have ugly dorky rollmarks that only a Glock owner would cherish.:neener:

I have a stainless new rollmark 1991A1, and it too is excellent in every way. I have three late production Colts, and like all of them. :D

Edit to add: I shoot +P's occasionally in all my steel framed, late model .45's, which includes both the early and late model 1991A1's. I don't shoot +P's in either my alloy framed Commander, or Defender.

Kahr carrier
January 5, 2003, 03:03 AM
Sounds like a good Range report ,Happy Shooting.:evil:

dsk
January 5, 2003, 03:22 AM
Any quality, steel-frame 1911 of recent manufacture is perfectly fine with +P loads. You just simply need to run a stronger recoil spring (18.5-22#) if you intend to do it all the time. I'd counsel against using +P's in older (pre-WW2), softer 1911s though unless you want to beat your gun to hell.

No, the blued finish isn't very durable. It isn't very rust-resistant either. But it sure looks purdy. A heavily-used defense gun could benefit from a tougher finish, preferably hard chrome. If you prefer the black look good ol' parkerizing will do the trick. Here's a new rollmark Colt that I personally customized, then had Dave Helton refinish in black parkerizing. Cool grips, too. :cool:

http://www.nwlink.com/~dkamm/customgrip.jpg

Schuey2002
January 5, 2003, 03:29 AM
dsk, Sweeeeeeeet gun! :what:

This coming from a hardcore Glocker! :evil:

sonoranjack
January 5, 2003, 05:27 AM
When planing a budget for a 91A1. I can figgure out the cost of the pistol, grips, mags, night sights, & leather. What I can't figgure out is a budget for any gunsmithing/customizing the pistol might need? Now I've looked at gunsmithing web sites to get an idea. But since I don't know much about 1911, I'm kinda lost. I guess the gunsmithing customizing comes in 2 types. Need & cosmetic. Need would be in terms of reliabilty. If the new 91A1 has a reliability problem shouldn't that go back to Colt? Then I wouldn't have to pay a gunsmith to make the pistol reliable. Next would be a trigger job. Also have the hammer replaced w/ what? I kinda like the look of that skeletion hammer. Then de-horn which might mean a new finish. Here's what I've come up w/ from 1 gunsmith. Reliability package @ $60. Replace the hammer w/ C&S hammer includes a trigger job @ $160. De-hord @ $60. Parkerize @ $95. Total $375. Now how much is a need instead of a want? Did is miss any thing to help the pistol. I guess it would be better to haver a bugger budget & not use all the money than to need money & not have it. I don't want a racegun. This will be a carry pistol.

ruger357
January 5, 2003, 07:48 AM
Nice grips.

If you enjoyed reading about "Range report,new rollmark Colt 1991" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!