CA: Senator Scott up to his dirty tricks

PDA

SIGarmed
May 9, 2003, 08:21 PM
Senator Scott is the author of SB 190 the bill that would make all pistols in California illegal for sale unless they incorporate a chamber load indicator and magazine disconnect into their design. The effect of this bill if signed by the governor and made law would be devastating to gun shops not mention preventing the law abiding from purchasing some of the best firearms available.
This is victim disarmament indeed.

On April 29th SB 190 was defeated in the Senate Public Safety Committee thanks to much opposition. Unfortunately Senator Scott did not get the message and he is intent on pushing his victim disarmament scheme regardless of what citizens in California think about his attempts to disarm them.

He gutted another bill, SB 489 which had nothing to do with firearms, and inserted the same wording as the former SB 190. SB 489 passed through the same committee that originally failed SB 190 on May 6! This is only a week later! I guess Scott and his buddies thought they would try and come in under the radar, and it worked.

More info here (http://www.nramemberscouncils.com/legs.shtml)

This bill is now headed to the Senate Appropriations Committee where we can stop it next. Please Californians, let your representatives know about this and be sure to contact the Senate Appropriations Committee in a timely manner.

If you enjoyed reading about "CA: Senator Scott up to his dirty tricks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Drizzt
June 2, 2003, 11:12 PM
The Associated Press State & Local Wire

June 2, 2003, Monday, BC cycle

7:15 PM Eastern Time

SECTION: State and Regional

LENGTH: 252 words

HEADLINE: New pistols would have to have anti-accident devices

DATELINE: SACRAMENTO

BODY:
Newly designed handguns would have to be equipped with devices intended to prevent accidental shootings under legislation approved Monday by the state Senate.

The measure by Sen. Jack Scott, D-Altadena, would require that the firearms have either a chamber load indicator or a magazine disconnect mechanism, starting with models produced in 2005. New handgun models made after Jan. 1, 2007, would have to have both items.

A load indicator reveals if a bullet is in the firing chamber. A magazine disconnect mechanism prevents the gun from being fired when the bullet magazine is removed, even if there is a round in the chamber.

Scott said a study by Johns Hopkins University indicated that requiring the devices would reduce the number of accidental shootings by 24 percent.

"We want to do what we can do to limit deaths and injuries from firearms," he said.

But Sen. Rico Oller, R-San Andreas, said the devices would give gun owners a false sense of security. "Firearms are inherently dangerous," he said. "To say this is going to make those guns less dangerous is a very backward argument."

Some firearms, he added, can't be adapted to accommodate the devices.

"This bill is designed to make it harder to have guns qualify (for sale) in California," he said. "It's going to cost consumers a tremendous amount of money..., (and) it's not going to have any impact on gun safety."

A 22-16 vote sent the bill to the Assembly.

Standing Wolf
June 2, 2003, 11:43 PM
I guess Scott and his buddies thought they would try and come in under the radar, and it worked.

There's nothing too loathsome, too contemptible, too unscrupulous, or too patently stupid for leftist extremists in the People's Republic of California. They won't be satisfied until the last law-abiding subject has been disarmed and only criminals and their bodyguards have firearms.

SIGarmed
June 3, 2003, 12:11 AM
Californians if you click the link for information in the original message you can get updated. SB 489 is now on the Senate floor! Please remember to contact your representatives in a timely manner. If this bill gets to Gray Davis's desk this bill as law will pretty much ban all pistols for sale in California!
This doesn't have anything to do with safety as the author purports. It is in fact a ban on pistols.

Malone LaVeigh
June 3, 2003, 12:53 AM
Message of opposition sent to my State Senator. Bet he doesn't get too many like that from my zip code.

BTW, conservatives are very adept at this same "too loathsome, too contemptible, too unscrupulous, or too patently stupid" ploy. John Doolittle has tried to sneak the Auburn Dam through this way uncountable times.

longeyes
June 3, 2003, 11:25 AM
Scott is an obsessed man. He's been on a crusade since his son's death by a "shooting accident." He is one of a small cadre of gun-haters in Sacramento who, thanks to their infernal doggedness, are having a huge impact. We need to find some equally obsessed pro-gun, pro-self-defense representatives to run and win.

SIGarmed
June 3, 2003, 12:59 PM
Senator Scott is misdirecting his energy. In case people out there don't know his son was killed when an irresponsible freind pointed a loaded gun at him and squeezed the trigger. I'd like to know what penalty there was for the freind? I don't think there was any.
Instead this Senator wrongly blames the tragedy on guns and by doing so he's removing our freedoms.

SIGarmed
June 3, 2003, 09:02 PM
I've written so many letters and faxes in the last month its incredible.

Do you guys contact the victim disarmer reps or do you just sign them off and concentrate on the good guys and fence sitters?
I figure it can't hurt to let them all know, and there aren't that many good guys.

jimpeel
June 4, 2003, 03:11 AM
I'm sure that he will soon author a bill making it illegal to bury your firearms against confiscation -- not that there will ever be confiscation you understand ...

redhead
June 4, 2003, 09:37 AM
Do you guys contact the victim disarmer reps or do you just sign them off and concentrate on the good guys and fence sitters?

I contact them all. I figure that they need to know that we aren't all in agreement with them out here. I'm told it also helps them to know that I, as a woman oppose these gun control laws, since the stereotype is that men would be pro-gun and women anti-gun. So I've been told. Since I've contacted these treasonous oppressors with many faxxes, and only heard back from one who happens to be pro-gun, I'm not sure it matters. :banghead:

Russ
June 4, 2003, 10:35 AM
Senator Scott's son was killed by one of his son's friends with a shotgun. My guess is the beer was flowing freely and the kid was waving Daddy's shotgun around and didn't know it was loaded. Accidental shooting and a tradgedy no doubt about it.

Jack Scott, who used to be president of Pasadena City College, a a huge junior college in Pasadena, CA, took it upon himself to get elected to the State Assembly, now to the State Senate. He decided guns were his enemy. After all, it wasn't the kid who shot his son's fault, it was the evil shotgun that jumped into the hands of the kid and made him shoot Jack Scott's son.

Jack Scott has been the author of most of the onerous gun laws to be enacted since Governor Gray Davis, the DemocRAT PIG, took office 5 years ago now.

Jack decided to go after pistols mainly. 1 gun a month, safety testing, Licensing of gun owners. A veritable communist (Democratic Party) dream.

Make no mistake. The DemocRAT party in California is more closely aligned with Hitler, Lenin and Stalin than any State government in the US in recent years. Usually, there was a Republican Governor to stop the madness but not now. It is Faciocommunism at work.

While these two philosphies are at different ends of the political spectrum most say, when it comes to guns they are the same.

You can contact all the legistlators on the committee and the whole Legislature. I did when I lived there in the PRK. For the most part they could care less.

However, when asked what you did, you can say something other than I sat on my Fat Butt and did nothing.

redhead
June 4, 2003, 10:47 AM
However, when asked what you did, you can say something other than I sat on my Fat Butt and did nothing.

Are you saying I've got a fat butt? Well, I never....:D

longeyes
June 4, 2003, 02:23 PM
Scott, like Ahab, has found his White Whale. Better to go after Moby Gun than blame the crew, in this case the whole lot of liberals who are hell-bent on destroying anything resembling individual responsibility. Scott knows in his heart that what happened wasn't the fault of the gun per se, much less law-abiding gun owners, but his passion about this suggests to me at least that perhaps he feels a world of guilt about his son's involvement in that situation. Perhaps that whole scene needs to be "outted" and brought into the light.

Shalako
June 4, 2003, 06:28 PM
It seems this Scott fellow is doing quite well for himself. All he needed was a good crusade to undertake and an assumed common enemy to crucify and look at him now. Hitler would be proud.

If you enjoyed reading about "CA: Senator Scott up to his dirty tricks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!