U.S. Postal Service Woes....

PDA

Redlg155
May 9, 2003, 09:20 PM
Ok..this is gun related because It concerns my sending off a money order for an AR upper that I had hoped to recieve by next week for a scheduled shoot with some freinds. So far it doesn't look very promising.

Anyway, I went to the Post Office and I ask for ovenight delivery. Well they won't deliver overnight to Sparta , Wisconsin. For my 13 bucks they say it will take two days. Ok..so I ask how long will I have to wait for priority mail? 2-3 days the clerk tells me after looking on his computer. Well, that was Monday and today is Friday and I have yet to recieve delivery confirmation from the U.S. Postal Service. I should have known something was amiss when they couldn't even overnight mail it to that location.

Anyone know how long I should give them before requesting they refund my money order and I just resend it back to the seller using someone more reliable?

I'm an impatient man sometimes...:D

Good Shooting
Red

If you enjoyed reading about "U.S. Postal Service Woes...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Standing Wolf
May 10, 2003, 05:00 PM
Federal Express, Airborne Express, U.P.S. can get it wherever it needs to go whenever it needs to get there, and as long as you've got the tracking number, you can track it on the internet. You may or may not pay a little more, but a.) the peace of mind is usually worth it, and b.) private carriers lose less stuff than the post office.

El Tejon
May 10, 2003, 06:09 PM
Red, from someone who has to use the Post Office for his bidness, take it from me, don't use the Post Office.

jade
May 10, 2003, 10:19 PM
my husband had a similar problem a little while ago. he sent a money order 2-day express with delivery confirmation. it took 8 days to get there but it did eventually arrive.

jade

Redlg155
May 11, 2003, 01:00 AM
take it from me, don't use the Post Office.

I'm learning this. I'm glad I had delivery confirmation and a money order number or else the seller would have good cause to doubt that I had sent it. He's been patient with me and will also work with me to expedite delivery once payment arrives, if it does. Otherwise my only other recourse is to wait 15 days and ask for a reissue. I'll definitely use a service from now on that has up to date tracking information so I can follow the progress of my item.

This stinks because I've ordered a lot from Sable Co in Illinois and I've never had to wait more than 3 days to have it delivered to me in Florida. I would think Wisconsin wouldn't be that much different.

Good Shooting
Red

waterdog
May 11, 2003, 10:59 AM
The Post Office needs to hear all this bad news, and so does your representatives.

With all the money those imcompetent pukes collect, they should have the best service in the world.

waterdog

cdbeaver
May 11, 2003, 03:25 PM
The good folks at USPS never could remember what the last letter in their acronym stands for.

4v50 Gary
May 11, 2003, 03:41 PM
cdbeaver: lemme guess, sleeper? Did I get it rite?

BTW, I was sending a book, The Coldest War by James Brady (not melon mind fame) to an army sergeant stationed in Kabul. Had to fill out a customs declaration which I did. Well, the package came back to me stating no declaration, no delivery. Dang if the USPS lost the declaration that their employee applied to the package. That was about 1 1/2 weeks of delivery time lost. Nice going fellas. Hopefully the sergeant (not a TFL/THRer) gets the book & the jerky.

TarpleyG
May 12, 2003, 01:54 PM
Well, I have had pretty good luck with the USPS, especially when shipping/receiving cross country. The same package could go to Oregon from Florida and be there 5 days faster than UPS Ground and cheaper. Maybe I am just lucky.

GT

TechBrute
May 12, 2003, 02:01 PM
The post office has spent years creating an adversarial relationship with its customers, and then whines when people use fedex, ups, etc.

My latest escapade at the post office involved trying to use my credit card. There are signs everywhere that the card needs to be signed to use it, with good reason. However, the room temperature IQ moron wouldn't accept my credit card because, instead of my actual signature, it says "Please ask for photo ID." My photo ID (CA DL) clearly has my signature on it, but since it wasn't signed I couldn't use it. DUHHHHHH!!!!

Slabside
May 12, 2003, 04:46 PM
Yes, I do have experience in this unfortunately. I've had MOs to be "lost in transit" to their destinations. The MOs are guaranteed and will be replaced. However, you will be out the extra money til the reimbursement comes back to you. This is the hard part about a lost MO.

I was told by my PO to wait a total of 7-14 business days on lost MOs. This isn't in a manual anywhere I don't believe, just what I was told. That number of days is more than sufficient for even first class postage. One MO I sent was Priority Mail and simply disappeared. I also sent via Priority w/ delivery confirmation that came up lost. It was even entered by the USPS that it was delivered but never made it. Then again, the USPS doesn't have the most reliable record on deliveries anyway.

I'd suggest that you call the USPS MO Division claims dept direct at 1.800.868.2443. Inquire if the MO has been cashed. If it hasn't, then you will need to go to your PO and fill out a form 6401. Yes, unfortunately, there is a fee. It's a few dollars. You will have to wait 60 days to see if the MO clears/is cashed. If it doesn't, you will receive a replacement/reimbursement MO after the 60 day waiting period. They will mail a new one out to you on the 61st day.

Having said all of that, if the MO is cashed by someone other than the intended party, the USPS will have to conduct a "fraud investigation". Then, they won't reimburse you until the conclusion of the investigation...which could take several wks in addition to the 60 day waiting period.

Best of Luck,
Slabside

Redlg155
May 13, 2003, 01:32 AM
Slabside,

I called the Post Office today and got the 60 day runaround bit. They have got to be kidding on this. I pay them for a money order. I pay the postage for Priority Mail. I pay for delivery confirmation. Now they want me to pay again because they lost my money order and have to let them keep my money interest free for 60 days before ....MAILING ME another money order? What if they lose that one in the mail too????:banghead: :cuss:

So far I think the only leg I have to stand on is that I can show the reciepts for the money order, postage for Priority Mail, and reciept for delivery confirmation all purchased at the same time and sent off. That at the very least should point out that it was their fault and there is no fraud involved. There has got to be some clause for extenuating circumstances. I just can't see being out $390.00 for 60 days, not to mention the loss of the item I wanted to order.

Good SHooting
Red

Slabside
May 13, 2003, 03:33 PM
Hello Red,

I understand where you are coming from all too well. I'm currently in the process of a lost USPS MO also and it isn't the first time for me either. Yes, that time delay is upsetting. However, the USPS has properly followed procedures w/ the lost MOs. I have also been out for sizeable amounts as well. However, USPS MO is guaranteed and insured and you will get back your reimbursent. I guess the good thing is that they will issue a reimbursement on the 61st day. The time requirement starts from the date and time that you purchased the MO, not from when it was reported. Don't know if they told you that, but that is the case.

I definitely agree w/ you about the fee for filing the form 6401 for a lost MO. It is absolutely rediculous that you have to pay to file a form for something that they lost. That should definitely be a free service.

Definitely hold on to your receipts. That is your guarantee of reimbursement and proof of purchase.

As far as the seller of the item you want goes...you should let them know what has happened, what extra expenses you have incurred, etc. If they are a decent person, they should work w/ you on the situation. After all, you sent them money in the first place. You should be able to work something else out w/ them. Perhaps Paypal should be thought of as an option. It's quick and easy, and almost and instantaneous transaction.

Whatever happens and whatever you decide to do on your item, the very best of luck to you.

Regards,
Slabside

TarpleyG
May 13, 2003, 06:24 PM
Slabside,

I wouldn't be holding on to some stuff for you would I??? Sounds all too familiar from a transaction I had from 1911forum. :scrutiny: If so, I still have the parts and we have been in contact via e-mail and I hope you are able to work it out with little headache. If you are not that person, well, I don't have anything for you but I still hope you are able to work it out with little headache. Regardless of my somewhat positive experience I have recently had with the USPS, I think they are a joke and this business about charging a fee to replace something THEY lost...you're kidding me, right?

GT

standingbear
May 13, 2003, 07:30 PM
ups some ruger rings for an exchange.(this was 3 months ago..)finally after getting nowhere,i called in the insurance and few days later i got a response that indeed they found the rings(nicly smashed with the shipping label ripped off)in a warehouse.needless to say,they are shipping them back to me,i have to repackage the box and then drop it off to be shipped again(free this time)will be a nice xmas gift for myself when and if the rings/bases ever do arrive.

Redlg155
May 17, 2003, 02:03 AM
Ok..update.

Nope..still didn't show up.

Yep..I'm still pissed!

Talked with the Postal Service Customer Service Rep here in Panama City and she was very agreeable in aknowledging that the USPS was at fault in this instance. She even offered to overnight mail funds for me free of charge, provided of course that I had funds available. Of course prying another $390 for a upper from a wife who is already pissed they lost the first MO is pretty much an impossibility. Oh well..

Still, even though she offered free "overnight mail", it doesn't bypass the trouble of me getting my money back once the MO is cancelled. It seems that they are at the mercy of the issuing bank. What bank the USPS uses is anyones guess.

Oh well. She told me to check with her towards the first of the week and she would help me with the next step.

You know...when I was there I saw a postal safety bulletin for mailhandlers. It says that in case of a dog attack to use your mail bag so that the dog will attack it instead of you. Hmmmm...maybe that's where my letter went. :rolleyes:

Good SHooting
Red

Sir Galahad
May 17, 2003, 02:16 AM
USPS, Amtrak, Conrail.....hmmmm.....and now Sen. Kerry thinks the government should get involved in health care. Can you picture that service? "Did you empty Patient 4321s bedpan today?" "No, why? I emptied it last week." :rolleyes:

Slabside
May 17, 2003, 10:28 PM
Red,

Glad you are getting somewhat taken care of. However, keep in mind that the local postal folks can't help you like the MO Division can. Often, the local postal folks don't even know their own regs. I've delt w/ the MO Division directly and have been treated professionally. Ms.Chesnut really knows her stuff. If you get any static, ask for her. She will help you.

Still, it is very frustrating, I KNOW! I've been in the same boat for a while now. Just keep on calling and checking til your reimbursement is sent on it's way to you.

The comment that the postal lady gave you about the funds being at the mercy of the issuing bank is totally bogus. The MOs are guaranteed and insured. That cash is held in trust to pay off the MOs.

Best,
Slabside

Ian
May 17, 2003, 10:41 PM
The USPS is run by the government - what do you expect from 'em?

Doc
May 17, 2003, 11:48 PM
so, I hate to seem like a newbie, but

you can get money orders anywhere, including AMEX, they seem to have better customer service, so why struggle with the USPS?

Also, I gave up for speedy delivery and got a FEDEX account. They have served my needs well and are responsive to customer service issues.

Slabside
May 18, 2003, 12:06 AM
Hello Doc. Thing is, some sellers specifically request payment be made by USPS MO. That pretty much limits your options when that's what they want.

Another reason is that USPS MOs are federally insured, where non-govt institutions don't necessarily do that. In addition, USPS MOs can be cashed at any USPS.

If you do have the luxury of selection, then you have good suggestions.

Regards,
Slabside

The-Distinctive-Edge
May 18, 2003, 12:41 AM
UPS is the way to go! Most of our stuff goes out UPS! Paul

Doc
May 18, 2003, 01:27 AM
Slabside:

OK so USP MO are insured by Feds, but all money orders are as good as cash and replacible by the vendor (AMEX, etc).

I hope the seller would not see another MO as license to cash it and not deliver the goods. :eek:

I understand in the gen-x that waiting is taboo, but though I am anxious to get the goods, I can wait patiently while the seller makes sure my non USPS MO is good. (So why bother with the cost and fuss of an MO?)

I hope the seller has a bank account, since that would be a sign of a reputable seller. The he/she could cash the MO shortly after receiving it (after all, it comes to his home or business, so he/she has to go OUT to cash it anyway. Last I checked the bank had better hours than the USPS "stores")

I'm not really a conforming sort of guy. I would tell the seller I was sending a MO and send an MO. If the seller wanted to wait 3 days (WHY??) to ship the gun, so be it. If he/she wouldn't do business with me without a Postal Money Order, that would make me nervous as the buyer.

Just a little rant...:evil:

Redlg155
May 18, 2003, 01:32 AM
Slabside,

I've contacted the seller and asked that he give me until Tuesday before cancelling the order. First thing Wednesday morning I'm headed over to the post office to take care of the paperwork so I can file for a lost/stolen money order. I'm going to see if the the postal service rep will make a call for me to the MO Division and see if she can expedite things a bit.

I'm just glad that it wasn't a car payment that got lost in the mail.

So far I've had zero problems with UPS and Fed Ex.

Good Shooting
Red

duckfoot
May 18, 2003, 06:09 AM
I'm a help desk tech for the Postal Service and told a employee that I reset his password to "123456' tonight and they asked me to spell it! (I don't work for the usps I just help them out at nights.)

I'm not sure how I get my mail.

And if I told you all the stories I know every one would send everything via UPS.

Then again I got a package from UPS with a boot print across the word fragile marked on the box.

For firearms I would go with fedex.

.02 taken with salt

wingman
May 18, 2003, 08:23 AM
In my area of the country had more problems with fedex then usps. I
ship most all that I send by priority
mail and "so far" has went without
a hitch.

If you enjoyed reading about "U.S. Postal Service Woes...." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!