Which rifle, yet again?

PDA

Geech
May 9, 2003, 09:38 PM
I've been having some second thoughts about the .22. I think I might like to get an SKS or even an SAR1 instead. What do you guys think?

If you enjoyed reading about "Which rifle, yet again?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rugerfreak
May 9, 2003, 10:20 PM
Get either one---they are blast to shoot and ammo is cheap.

Some of the most fun you'll have with your clothes on----lol.

Geech
May 9, 2003, 11:06 PM
Other than cost, is there any reason to have one over the other?

cratz2
May 10, 2003, 12:01 AM
Well, the 22 will be much quieter than the SKS with the brake. That may or may not affect your decision. And you'll still probably be able to use the 22 more often and more rounds when you do shoot it than you would with the other two.

On the other hand, the SKS or SAR would allow for more serious work. How likely that is to present itself is up to your mind and how paranoid you are. :p

Personally, if I didn;t have either, I'd want a 22 more than an SKS. On the other other hand, there are some excellent prices out there on SKSs right now while 22s will probably be staying the same price for quite a while.

MAKOwner
May 10, 2003, 12:56 AM
That's a tough one. A .22 lr is cheaper to shoot, for $8 you can shoot all day nearly. Everyone needs a good .22 to plink with at some point. But if you don't think you'll really use the .22 that much, a SKS or AK is certainly alot of fun and versatile. You can plink with them too for fairly cheap too (no where near as cheap as .22lr obviously) and then can be used for certain hunting or defense duties as well.

In the end you'll want both a good .22 and a good SKS or AK (I'd get an AK but that's another post...)

goon
May 10, 2003, 01:12 AM
What is your budget?
Yugo SKS for around $150 and a Romanian .22 trainer for around $70. Still leaves you money for ammo.
The cheapest AK that I have seen is the SAR-1 at around $269 or so.
The choice is yours.

Knowing what I know now, I would get a different combination.
Mosin Nagant, Mauser, or Enfield for around $150 or maybe a little less and a .22.
The AK has its uses, but I find it more fun to "snipe" at cans rather than spray at them.
But that is after alot of experience too.
If this is your first rifle, then you may be better off with a round that doesn't have as much recoil, at least until you learn to handle it well.
Actually, you may just be better off to get your own experience.
That is half the fun.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Which rifle, yet again?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!