Winchester M100 dissasembly problem

PDA

jhco50
September 2, 2006, 02:39 AM
I have been working a couple of rifles for a soldier, a Winchester M94 that I fixed and gave back, and a Winchester M100. The M100 has me stumped. I cannot get it to dissasemble because the bolt won't retract. According to the dissasembly instructions in the NRA book I have, the bolt must be retracted in order to separate the action from the stock. I have tried everything and it will not retract. I think it may be something in the trigger assembly, but that is just a guess. The safety doesn't seem to work properly either. It won't switch from safe to fire positions and the trigger feels like the hammer is in the down position. Any ideas?

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester M100 dissasembly problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BEARMAN
September 2, 2006, 03:35 AM
I don't know if this will help but there is a nice clear schematic at www.again.net/~steve/page7a.htm goto winchester then to model 100

JohnBT
September 2, 2006, 10:55 AM
edited to add a link that works www.wisnersinc.com/additionalinfo/winchesterl_88_100.htm

MODEL 100 DISASSEMBLY: The proper disassembly of the model 100 is to first remove the magazine, then remove the forearm screw AND the trigger guard screw behind the trigger guard. Now pull the operating handle all the way to the rear. While holding it to the rear, pivot the barrel unit up out of the stock. The rear of the receiver is held in place by it fitting in a notch in the recoil block in the stock. The reason that the operating handle has to be rearward is to allow enough clearance for the side rods from the handle to the gas cylinder unit to clear the slot in the forearm section. Since these rods are hidden in the forearm with wood covering them except when the handle is pulled all the way back.

If the gas cylinder is rusted so tightly into the operating slide assembly that it can not be pulled rearward, there is one solution. You will by now have some movement of the barrel away from the forearm. Select a long punch that will go in between the barrel & the forearm. Locate the small retainer ring that locks the gas cylinder sleeve/plug in place, hit it hard enough with the punch to break it. Now you can use a large long screwdriver to engage the slot on the end of this plug, unscrew it. You should now be able to move the operating handle to the rear. What you have done is to remove the “cap nut” that holds the gas cylinder into the barrels gas lug, the cylinder being rusted in the operating handle, it will now be retracted out of the lug, allowing the handle to be retracted. This information supplied by a long-time Winchester warranty gunsmith Walter Lodewick.

MODEL 100 OPERATING HANDLE FREE BUT NOT RETRACTING ALL THE WAY :- This usually can be attributed to the owner trying to disassemble the gun using the thought that the trigger housing will come out first from the bottom. They can not get it to come out (usually bending the side rails) so they reassemble it, only to now find that the handle will not operate. What they have done is that the safety somehow got pushed off, in the process, they pulled the trigger & not knowing what has just happened, when they retightened this unit the hammer’s top rear corner is now bound up between the bolt sleeve & the head on the rear of the firing pin. The trick is now to remove the rear guard screw, pry the trigger guard assembly down far enough to reach inside & recock the hammer with a long hooked rod.

jhco50
September 2, 2006, 11:56 PM
Many thanks! The diagram is great and reading the other instructions I believe I know what the problem is. I think the hammer has been released as you stated. I now need to see if I can get it cocked back. Thank you fella's very :D much.

jhco50
September 4, 2006, 09:21 PM
Mission accomplished!!!! John, you were right, the hammer was in the uncocked position and I took a 16 penny nail, bent it 2/3 of the way back from the tip and pushed the hammer back. I could not get it to fully cock so while holding the rifle between my legs, hammer partway back with the nail, I pulled the bolt back. It road straight back and cocked the hammer just slicker than a whistle. Thank you so much. You were right on!:D :D :D :D :D Now to clean it and give it back to that Airman.

JohnBT
September 4, 2006, 10:08 PM
That's great, glad it worked out. I didn't get anything accomplished today gunwise. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

John

jhco50
September 5, 2006, 01:42 AM
I know what you mean. I broke the gun down but didn't get to start cleaning yet. I took two guns to fix for this young man. The first was a Winchester M94 that he had the lever hung open on. I discovered that he had installed a sidemount scope and the screws were too short. The link pin was backing out and sticking in the hole, hanging the lever open. The M100 is not extracting. After getting it apart I examined everything and it looks good, but it is one dirty gun. As hard as it was to get apart I can understand why. I will clean it up and let him test it. I believe it is just dirt and lack of lubrication. I will explain the trick to dissassembly to him so he can clean it once in a while:o I'm sure glad I posted here or that rifle might have completely kicked my heine.:eek:

Pumpkinheaver
September 6, 2006, 09:58 PM
Clean the chamber and extractor. Make sure the chamber is clean and dry. I use the pressurized cleaner like gun scrubber and spray the heck out of the extractor.

jhco50
September 6, 2006, 10:46 PM
I cleaned the action and gun up. However, I don't think I will be able to clean the chamber and muzzle end of the barrel to my satisfation. About 6" in from the muzzle, from the muzzle, there is so much buildup that I cannot see the lands. I was able to get the back of the barrel shiny but I just don't have the equipment to do the barrel end. I don't think this gun has ever been cleaned. I am going to suggest to the young man to go to one of the local shops that will have a better method of cleaning the barrel. I have never in my life seen a barrel so full of fouling. :what: The gun is back together. I will be sure to tell the young man of the tricks you gentleman taught me so that in the future he can take the gun apart and clean it. He told me it belonged to his father.

Pumpkinheaver
September 6, 2006, 10:53 PM
I know what you mean. The one I inherited from my grandfather was so fouled that it took for ever to get all the copper out of it. He bought it new in 1961 and cleaned once at the most!!

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester M100 dissasembly problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!