SKS stocks

PDA

Med 10
May 10, 2003, 01:06 AM
What kind of wood are the stocks of SKS's made of?

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS stocks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cabinetman
May 10, 2003, 07:30 AM
That really depends on the variety of SKS you're talking about.

The M59 Yugo (not 59/66) is definitely teak. I've got a 59/66 which is Beech. I've seen others that were some variety of Oak or some other hard-to-identify, lightweight deciduous (hard) wood. It's interesting to compare four different stocks side by side. One, the the Teak stock, will weigh a ton while the others are very lightweight. They've been made from just about everything on hand. The Albanian stocks are the poorest quality so far, imho. They didn't pay a lot of attention to the finishing details on those stocks nor did they apply a very good finish on them. Also, the equipment the Albanians used must have been worn out as the stocks don't conform to the other SKSs out there in size and shape. Go figure.

Also, all the SKSs I've seen have a shellac finish of some kind on them EXCEPT the Yugos which appear to have some type of oil finish. Both can easily be reproduced for restoration or repair purposes.

Finally, the ultimate color of these stocks is usually the result of the finish/shellac being used. They run the gamut from ultra blond to dark/deep red.

Hope this helps.

Rome

Chipperman
May 10, 2003, 12:27 PM
My Yugo has a Beech stock

Badger Arms
May 10, 2003, 03:52 PM
I have no idea what wood is on my stocks. How do you figure this out?

cool45auto
May 10, 2003, 05:29 PM
I have no idea what kind is on my Romanian SKS.:confused:

Med 10
May 11, 2003, 02:21 PM
My Russian has a dark brown oil stain to it.

I was just curious. Thanks for the replies.

If you enjoyed reading about "SKS stocks" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!