Best .22 rifle for under $200?

PDA

leadcounsel
September 5, 2006, 11:31 PM
I'm in the market for an inexpensive plinking .22 rifle to aid in honing shooting skills. Importance placed on durability, reliability, accuracy, upgradability, the usual stuff. Would prefer magazine fed and semi-auto.

Considering the Ruger 10/22 and the Remington 597.

Recommendations?

If you enjoyed reading about "Best .22 rifle for under $200?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
geim druth
September 5, 2006, 11:45 PM
I like my Remington 552, cycles .22 shorts as well as LR, don't know if you'll find one for $200. I've heard good things about the Marlin 60.

_N4Z_
September 5, 2006, 11:48 PM
I would look at a Tula imported from Russia. Supposed to be very nice and under your price range. *hmmmm think those are bolt action though.

No experience with 10/22's. Some love 'em, some hate 'em. They are king of the land of upgrades.

I do have very recent experience with Rem597... :barf: reliability WILL be a coin toss if you go the Remmy route. Buyer beware.

I myself have gone to bolt actions and now use a scoped Marlin 925. I have two friends that each have a Marlin60. Those things are machines and quite accurate. Might give one of them a look, and can be had for little more than 100 dollars.

dm1333
September 5, 2006, 11:48 PM
My Marlin Model 60 is accurate and reliable. I've also heard good things about Savage .22 bolt actions but I don't know the cost of one. I would think any Marlin bolt gun with the micro groove barrel would also be accurate.

Don

Cueball
September 5, 2006, 11:58 PM
The Marlin Model 60 would be a good choice and fits your requirements.

Squidward
September 6, 2006, 12:38 AM
I've got a couple :rolleyes: of 10/22s and like them alot. As previously mentioned they are easily upgraded/modified. Rimfirecentral is a nice place for info.

But, I have been considering a lever action in .22. They sound like fun..

gazpacho
September 6, 2006, 12:43 AM
CZ 452 Scout. For $220 you can get a CZ 452 Special/Trainer, which will get you a longer barrel and a tang rear sight.

The Scandinavian
September 6, 2006, 01:14 AM
I would look at a Tula imported from Russia. Supposed to be very nice and under your price range. *hmmmm think those are bolt action though.

Tula TOZ-99 is semi auto

http://www.tulatoz.ru/en/main.html

rangerruck
September 6, 2006, 02:34 AM
Marlin , any of the 81 series, from 1937 to present. new 981's are about 150 . they are tube fed, very accurate, will fire s.l.lr's, and will hold 25 shorts in the tube at one time~ lots of ouchy. but thats a boltie. then i would go marlin , mossy, and ruger, for accuracy , in that order. the Ruger will be the nicest looking though.

Cosmoline
September 6, 2006, 03:10 AM
Since I got my CZ 452 ZKM I can tolerate no other rimfire. It's truly in a class apart, like a Mauser scaled down. The balance is perfect, the action both smooth and strong. The accuracy can be surreal.

evan price
September 6, 2006, 04:24 AM
You can get the Savage 64 rifle new at Wallyworld for under $99 or so. It's a cheapy but it is dead nuts accurate as far as I have seen.
The benefit to a real cheapy like this is you don't have to care if you ding it up or loan it to your kids.

hossdaniels
September 6, 2006, 12:49 PM
cz 452 if you can afford it, if not get marlin 60 and keep it clean.

Bottom Gun
September 6, 2006, 01:02 PM
The Remingtons and Marlins will be far more accurate than the Ruger. The 10/22's are not noted for accuracy.

See if you can find a used 500 series Remington bolt action at a gun show. They sometimes sell for $100-200. They are durable, reliable, accurate rifles.

CZguy
September 6, 2006, 03:41 PM
CZ 452 Scout. For $220 you can get a CZ 452 Special/Trainer, which will get you a longer barrel and a tang rear sight.

Good advice, it is the most accurate rifle you get get for the price.

In your post you listed the requriements of under $200.00 and a semi auto.

If you are sure of that, then get a Marlin model 60.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3869129

Technosavant
September 6, 2006, 05:05 PM
I bought the Wal-Mart special Remington 597 with camo stock for $130, and added a 3-9 Bushnell rimfire scope for another $35. The thing absolutely drives tacks. It's fun, it handles well, and it's reliable. Add in another magazine and a brick of ammo, and you're still under $200.

More fun can be had, but just try finding it at the same price. Just be sure that if you get one, back the two guide rod screws out a bit- they are usually too tight from the factory.

mrmeval
September 6, 2006, 05:57 PM
I saw a Buckmark carbine which is pretty much a Buckmark pistol with a longer barrel and a buttstock molded in with the frame. Neat looking as heck.

http://www.gunblast.com/Browning_BuckmarkCarbine.htm

I assume molding the buttstock in with the gun keeps you from having a visit by the Gewehrpolizei.

Gord
September 7, 2006, 12:50 AM
You can get the Savage 64 rifle new at Wallyworld for under $99 or so. It's a cheapy but it is dead nuts accurate as far as I have seen.

Mine (64F) is pretty accurate inside of 100 yards. It's got a cheapo synthetic stock and isn't what I'd call heirloom material, but you can buy extra mags at Wally World for $12 and as you said, you don't have to worry about beating it up. It's also pretty lightweight.

Doesn't like the cheap Walmart ammo though.

toivo
September 7, 2006, 01:23 AM
The Scout is a youth model--shorter stock too. (Are you sure about the tang sight?) Go for the Basic or the Special/Trainer. A little over $200, but not much.

If you're set on a semi-auto, go Ruger 10/22, Marlin 60, Marlin 795. Chocolate, vanilla, strawberry. You really can't go wrong.

Cosmoline
September 7, 2006, 03:44 AM
Also you can get the CZ 452 used for $200 or less and it won't be any worse for it. In fact a little break in makes them better.

If you enjoyed reading about "Best .22 rifle for under $200?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!