Bull Barrel

PDA

MarkDido
May 10, 2003, 03:00 PM
Ok,

Being new to long guns, I have seen several references to "bull barrels" here and on other boards.

Just what the hell IS a bull barrel?

If you enjoyed reading about "Bull Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Art Eatman
May 10, 2003, 04:17 PM
Bull barrel = heavy barrel. Thicker than the standard sort of hunting rifle's barrel. It is more suitable for target shooting or varmint shooting where one expects to fire more shots over a period of time than, say, a deer hunter.

The thicker barrel is stiffer and heats up more slowly and possibly more uniformly, enhancing accuracy during a course of fire of ten or more rounds, or various courses of fire with short intervals of time in between.

:), Art

cratz2
May 10, 2003, 06:36 PM
They idea is that the bull barrel allows a steadier hold on a target, generall further away. It heats up more slowly with repeat shots. And some folks will swear up and down that they are infinitely more accurate than sporter weight rifles even when just taking two or three shots. And I'm sure there's more than one guy on this forum that can do some pretty fancy shooting with a light weight barrel.

Here's my collection of bull-barreled rifles. Plus or minus a couple. And no makin' fun of my ugly-as-sin green chair either.

http://photos.imageevent.com/cratz2/guns//DCP_1455a.jpg

nextjoe
May 10, 2003, 10:31 PM
I don't care about the chair, but what's that black stuff where the wood's supposed to be? :D

Best,
Joe

benewton
May 11, 2003, 02:55 PM
Nextjoe, that's the wrong question: where's the blackstuff where the wood is would be the correct one.

Gewehr98
May 11, 2003, 03:04 PM
(And it does take the ugly-chair cake) so long as the one I get is also equipped with a spare illuminated-reticle scope, like that one is. ;)

Oh, and a 17" or bigger monitor as part of the package ain't a bad deal, either!

GunNut
May 11, 2003, 03:29 PM
And no makin' fun of my ugly-as-sin green chair either.

Atleast we know that your priorities are in the right order. 1.Guns 2. Guns 3. Guns and somewhere towards the bottom furniture.

Funny thing is I was showing my father in law my $1K Colt Combat Commander and the wife mentioned we could by a new couch for that. Couch will come after many more guns.

Steve

cratz2
May 11, 2003, 08:04 PM
Actually, I much prefer wood stocks to synthetics and truth be told, I have a weakness for grey/black laminate stocks but with the heavy rifles, there are many more choices with kevlar/fiberglass than wood unless you get into replacing stocks and as long as it shoots straight, I'd rather spend money on ammo than replacement stocsl. :p

And make no mistake, my wife is fully in control of our funds and my gun spending took a backseat for a couple years to new furniture when we moved in the new house. ;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Bull Barrel" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!