Bi-Pod or Shooting rest/sandbag ?

PDA

Ari
May 10, 2003, 04:26 PM
Which is more consistent for benchrest shooting? Bi - Pod or Shooting rest?

If you enjoyed reading about "Bi-Pod or Shooting rest/sandbag ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
craigz
May 10, 2003, 05:02 PM
Bipods are great, but a good rest is always preferable. However, most of the time, it's kind of hard to fit one in your rifle case.

Doc
May 10, 2003, 10:16 PM
do you mean for competion shooting or just shooting of the bench?

sand bags always fit in the back of the truck! a bipod is very handy when hunting

DMK
May 12, 2003, 07:07 PM
I have a canvas military butt pack that I carry ammo in (in boxes, strippers, mags whatever I happen to be using). I also always bring a large towel with me since it's handy for all sorts of stuff. Once I setup and get out the ammo I need, I leave about half in the pack, then I fold the towel and lay it on top. Fold the top of the pack over and wa-la! Instant bench rest. It's heavy enough not to move and if I'm shooting a rifle, I always have it to carry the ammo in.

ShaiVong
May 12, 2003, 10:33 PM
If your sighting a rifle in, I think you can get a more stable shot off of bags. If your plinking or killing paper, I think firing from a bipod is better, because its good practice... Unless ofcourse i misunderstood your question, which i think i did. :scrutiny:

cratz2
May 12, 2003, 11:31 PM
Yeah... best possible shooting for me is off sandbags up front and out back. Never tried one of those fancy adjustable things that supports the front and back of the rifle so I can't comment on those. In the field (keeping in mind I hunt small animals, not large game) I have a bipod as often as not so that is how I practice much more often than with sandbags. Other than sighting in or betting a shooting buddy for dinner etc... I don't rely much on sandbags but rely heavily on bipods.

And I don't know if it's common practice or not, but when I shoot with sandbags, I use sandbags under the forearm and under the buttstock. When I use a bipod, I either just hold the buttstock against my shoulder for support or, if the situation allows, I'll support the buttstock with my fist at some position to allow for proper elevation. The sandbags are much more stable. At least for me.

CARSON
May 13, 2003, 05:38 PM
I agree with cratz2. I usually use sanbags or a rest at the range, or the handmade Outers Varmint Rest my father made me, and the bipod in the field or jumping from station to station. If you plan to shoot at the range frequently, I would also recommend the Millett Shooting Rest. It is made of a soft synthetic where the rear rest fits inside the front rest. I keep it in the trunk of my car all the time and I think it is one of the most ueful rests I have.

If you enjoyed reading about "Bi-Pod or Shooting rest/sandbag ?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!