Arabic 8mm Mauser ammo? Help!

PDA

Ian
May 10, 2003, 05:26 PM
I was browsing the "make us an offer on this junk" table at a gun shop, and I found a box of 50 rifle cartridges. All the markings were in some sort of Arabic script, with the exception of the numerals "190". I brought on home to measure, and it's 8x57mm. The headstamp is also all in a squiggly script. Does anyone know where and when this ammo might have come from? Could it be worth anything?

Thanks!

If you enjoyed reading about "Arabic 8mm Mauser ammo? Help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RUT
May 10, 2003, 07:01 PM
I have some of that kicking around too. Could be Turkish. (?)

cracked butt
May 10, 2003, 08:21 PM
If it has "T (crecsent moon with star) C" stamped on the head its Turkish, there should also be a date.

Could possibly be made for Persian rifles? Here's a link to decipher Persian and farsi numerals. On the page, the symbols represent numbers 1-10.

http://www.avalienghadam.com/YEKTADA.HTM

Mike Irwin
May 10, 2003, 09:37 PM
Take your pick.

Turkish, Egyptian, Syrian, and quite a few others are distinct possibilities.

Without actually seeing the headstamp it would be rather impossible to tell.

Jim K
May 11, 2003, 12:08 AM
I don't know which "squiggly script" you mean, but there was a lot of 8mm Israeli ammo floating around years ago. Great stuff, accurate and non-corrosive. By some coincidence, other than caliber, it looks a lot like U.S. .30 ammo. Maybe Frankford Arsenal setting up the plant had something to do with that.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "Arabic 8mm Mauser ammo? Help!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!