I'm going to be on public radio (I think)

PDA

Monkeyleg
May 10, 2003, 05:33 PM
The other day a reporter from NPR station WHLA in La Crosse, WI called me to get comments on the passage of the concealed carry legislation in Minnesota. We spent about fifteen or twenty minutes on the phone, with him taping my comments. I think I got all the points across effectively.

I'm not sure my little tuner can bring in a station that far away, so if anyone catches the program and can give a synopsis that would be great. The show will air either Monday or Tuesday, probably at 5:19 pm I'm told.

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm going to be on public radio (I think)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
QuickDraw
May 11, 2003, 01:08 AM
Might be able to get it online.
I'll try to listen.

QuickDraw

bedlamite
May 11, 2003, 01:29 AM
The frequency of WHLA is 90.3 MHz, and those of us in eastern Wisconsin are SOL, as FM is line of sight only. Dick, have you mantioned this to Senator Zien? He might be interested in hearing this, and may be able to record it.

Monkeyleg
May 20, 2003, 12:07 AM
Ooohhhh, yeah. I got my points across, as certainly Senator Zien did. How come those points weren't given any time?

Here's the transcript of the "inteviews:"

WISCONSIN CONCEALED CARRY…2__ CART: _______
ROISUM
5-12-03

UNDER THE RECENTLY PASSED LAW IN MINNESOTA, SET TO GO INTO EFFECT ON MAY 28TH, SHERIFFS MUST GRANT PERMITS TO RESIDENTS WITHOUT DISCRESION IF THEY FIT THE LAW’S BASIS REQUIREMENTS, AND AREN’T DISQUALIFIED BECAUSE OF CRIMINAL, MENTAL HELATH, OR SAFETY CONCERNS. THAT PERSON MUST ALSO AGREE TO TAKE HANDGUN TRAINING.

THERE IS A SIMILAR BILL WAITING TO BE INTRODUCED IN WISCONSIN._ RIGHT NOW,_ ONLY POLICE OFFICERS ARE ALLOWED TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUNS IN THE STATE.__ THE BILL’S CO-AUTHOR STATE SENATOR DAVID ZIEN OF EAU CLAIRE SAYS ITS JUST A MATTER OF TIME.

(((004-WE HAVE____ JUNE-010)))

.ZIEN SAYS THE BILL WILL BE INTRODUCED_ IN JUNE, AFTER THE STATE SUPREME COURT IS EXPECTED TO RULE.

(((26-WE’RE FIGURING__ DO THAT-32)))_ .

ZIEN SAYS THE BILL NEARLY PASSED THE STATE SENATE LAST YEAR, UNTIL HE SAYS THEN SENATE MAJORITY LEADER CHUCK QHVALA KILLED IT.

THE GRASSROOTS GROUP THE WISCONSIN CONCEALED CARRY ASSOCIATION, OR THE W-C-C-A HOPES TO AVOID A SIMILAR SITUATION THIS TIME AROUND.__ TREASURER DICK BAKER SAYS THE W-C-C-A IS WORKING WITH GROUPS LIKE THE NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION TO GATHER SUPPORT FOR THE CAUSE._ HE SAYS THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE ALREADY WORKING TO MAKE SURE THE BILL PASSES.

BAKER SAYS CONCEALED CARRY LEGISLATION HAS COME UP AT LEAST ONCE IN eveRy one of the LAST_ FIVE LEGISLATIVE SESSIONS….

(((78-THERE ARE NOW__ BUSINESS-83)))-TAPE 2

ONE KEY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE MINNESOTA LAW AND THE ONE BEING PROPOSED BY SENATOR ZEIN, AND STATE REPRESENTATIVE SCOTT GUNDERSON OF UNION GROVE,_ IS THAT IN MINNESOTA CONCEALED WEAPONS CAN BE CARRIED INTO BUILDINGS WHERE STATE LAWS DON’T BAN THEM…LIKE CITY HALLS AND LIBRARIES.___ ZEIN’S BILL HAS SEVERAL LIMITATIONS ON WHERE A PERSON WITH A HANDGUN CAN OR CANNOT GO

LA-CROSSE COUNTY SHERIFF MIKE WEISSENBERGER HAS TWO CONCERNS OVER THE PROPOSED LAW.__ IT WOULD GREATLY ADD TO HIS DEPARTMENTS’_ PAPERWORK WITHOUT ADDITONAL FUNDS COMING FROM THE STATE OR COUNTY TO COVER THE ADDED COSTS, PLUS HE SAYS THE PROPOSED LAW COMES WITH HANDCUFFS….

(((230-THE PROPOSED LEGISLATION_ PERMIT-237))))-TAPE 2

WEISSENBERGER SAYS MANY WISCONSIN SHERIFF’S BELIEVE THE GUN PERMIT PROCESS SHOULD BE HANDLED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE AND NOT BY THEM.___ WEISSENBERGER SAYS WISCONSIN’S TWO MAIN SHERIFF’S ASSOCIATIONS OPPOSE ZIEN AND GUNDERSON’S PROPOSAL.

____ STEVE ROISUM…WPR
_
_
_
_
_
_Um, shouldn't the transcribers learn to either properly spell or, at the very least, consistently misspell someone's name?

Secondly, since WHLA has so many listeners in both MN and WI, wouldn't WHLA be doing a public service to its listeners by exploring the issue with more depth?

(Duh! It's NPR. Paid for by taxpayers.

:banghead: :banghead: )

Thirdly: who the heck is Sheriff Weissenberger? I've been out to the La Crosse area many times, and I've noticed that there are just two sheriff's squads, and they both need a new set of points and condensors.

I delivered chapter and verse regarding both the fears of concealed carry and the facts.
NPR didn't report that.

Could it be that they have an "agenda?"

Strings
May 20, 2003, 04:57 PM
I wouldn't hold on to much hope on NPR actually being non-biassed. Or any other media outlet...

If you enjoyed reading about "I'm going to be on public radio (I think)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!