Oh the waiting! (Or, Zer000 buys a 22/45 for his first pistol)

PDA

Zer000
May 10, 2003, 07:47 PM
I had my heart set on a nice 4in Springfield XD 9 for my first handgun, but after striking out at all the gun shops in town, and taking a second look at my current finances, I decided maybe a .22 was a good first choice. I was looking at the Beretta Neos, but finally decided to go with something I knew would be a good choice. I'm the new proud owner of a Ruger 5.5in bull barreled 22/45. I picked up a Uncle Mikes holster for it, any other accessories I should look at? Now I just need to weather the ten days until I've got it in my sweaty paws. Ohh, the waiting is terrible. I'm starting to remember the pains I went through waiting for my first long gun. So, whats the best ammo to put through the 22/45? Any cleaning tips?

If you enjoyed reading about "Oh the waiting! (Or, Zer000 buys a 22/45 for his first pistol)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mgjohn
May 10, 2003, 10:49 PM
Some spare mags and a mag loader are nice. I use the bulk pack (Walmart 550 round box) Federal in mine.

THese are great guns and will give a lifetime of good service.

arinvolvo
May 11, 2003, 02:54 AM
22/45 was my first pistol...Buy some good ammo for it and you will love it...Certain ammos it will choke on.

But they are great guns....Dont think I have cleaned mine yet...5000 rounds or so through it.

arinvolvo
May 11, 2003, 02:56 AM
BTW, Winchester Xpert 22 works well...as does the Federal copper jacket stuff.

denfoote
May 11, 2003, 05:39 AM
Pay VERY close attention to the re-assembly instructions the first time you field strip it!! The Ruger folks knew what they were doing when the wrote them!! That is the ONLY way to get the pistol back together. Follow not those simple rules and you will just end up getting pissed off!! The advice about using the hole end of a safety pin to pull down the disassembly lever is also sound!! After a few times, it will be as easy as pie!! :D I aught to know, I have three of them!! ;)

Here you go, Bub!!! Something to read while you wait!!! You will need to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader to access the PDF file. ;)

Ruger 22/45 manual (http://www.ruger-firearms.com/Firearms/PDF/01.pdf)

Sactown
May 11, 2003, 04:49 PM
Congratulations on your purchase. I just broke in my second Mark II last week. Ran 500 rnds of Winchestor Wildcat High Velocity to break it in. Only a couple of stoppages.

If you want to upgrade trigger parts check here: www.ontargetguns.com

I am now going to give you the lowdown on the most important part of your Ruger. http://www.arms-ordnance.com/ultimatecliploader.html

The ultimate clip loader. I bought one of these and it's the best thing since sliced bread!! I swear by it, just don't use lead bullets in it because the lead will build up. I was using that little red thumbloader thing, and the ultimate clip loader is soooo much better. As fast as you load a magazine into the gun, you can reload the magazine.

Standing Wolf
May 11, 2003, 07:02 PM
If you don't already have one, I'd recommend an N.R.A. membership so you can keep your new pistol.

Zer000
May 12, 2003, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the advice so far. I'll look in to getting a loader after I get the mags and can see what a pain they are to load.

If you don't already have one, I'd recommend an N.R.A. membership so you can keep your new pistol.

Got that covered. Its my first pistol, not my first gun. ;)

denfoote
May 12, 2003, 05:10 PM
Mags are a pain to load!! The magazine was patterned after the P08 Luger, in fact, the MK-II IS a updated P08 chambered for the .22LR!!! Lugers are notorious for being hard to fill magazines. The tendency transfered itself over to the Ruger!!! :rolleyes:

Cal4D4
May 12, 2003, 06:32 PM
Pick up a little tube of Loctite blue ( medium strength). The front sight screw seems to get loose on every outing. Be prepared to screw around drifting windage on the back sight. Wonder who sells a better sight setup?

Spanky McFly
May 20, 2003, 10:35 PM
I have noticed my front sight getting loose. I will use a little Loctite on mine.

I bought my SS 22/45 (slightly) used with no manual. I have pushed about 1200 rounds through without disassembly. I have cleaned it best I could with WD40 and compressed air, but it is sounding like it has sand in the action. I was worried about taking it apart due to some advice from another gun owner. I am going to try denfoote's advice and disassemble mine right now.

Sisco
May 20, 2003, 10:43 PM
Bought mine waaay back when ebay allowed gun sales, it's the only pistol that makes every trip to the range.
Mounted a red dot sight on it a couple of weeks ago, it's even more fun now.

Zer000
May 20, 2003, 10:58 PM
Well, today was my pickup day, but I couldn't get away from work today to go pick it up. :fire: I'll certainly have it in my sweaty paws tomorrow though. How do you mount a red dot/scope on the 22/45? I didn't see anywhere to mount it.

Sisco
May 20, 2003, 11:20 PM
Jack Weigand http://www.jackweigand.com/rm2fd.html
makes a no-gunsmithing mount for the 22/45. You remove the rear sight and it mounts in the dovetail, that's what I went with.
You can get mounts from B-Square and there's the SoLow which looks interesting http://www.solow.com
More info in this thread
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18342&highlight=red+dot

Spanky McFly
May 20, 2003, 11:43 PM
Well, it took me 6 or 7 tries, but I got it back together. Pay close attention to the position the manual is showing the gun in. I had to point my muzzle straight up the times I got the hammer follower to seat. Just keeping the trigger pulled helped keep me out of trouble also.

Here is a nice looking "no tap" mount I am looking at.

http://www.solow.com/

Zer000
May 21, 2003, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely check it out when I get tired of the iron sights. Now, only a few hours till my lunch break and I can pick up my 22/45.

BevrFevr
May 21, 2003, 12:28 PM
I bought the B Square for my red dot and now I have what must be the tallest handgun ever. Probably (guessing) 11" from top of scope to bottom of mag well. Yikes!

Haven't shot it yet to sight in. After the bSquare you will never be holstering the gun again cause there ain't nothin gonna fit it in that configuration.

So now I have a .22 pistol that requires a big box to tote it around in. I thought it would be a fun set up to hunt squirrels but haven't figured out a comfy way to carry it.

My advice is if you want to put a scope on one spend the extra and Get the mkII Target Slabside. It is already tapped for a scope and you have enough barrel to holster.

Good luck with new gun Just the same. Also good move with the NRA. I'm on EPL. Wish I started like that form the beginning.

-bevr

critter
May 21, 2003, 01:01 PM
Great gun for ANYBODY!

GREAT choice for a first gun!!!

Congratulations and have fun! Just TRY to wear that sucker out! Then you will be ready for one that has the same controls-a 1911 type .45!!! You are suckered in now!!!

Meowhead
May 21, 2003, 03:57 PM
Congratulations! Ruger .22s are great guns. I have a Mk.2 and it's become my favorite pistol in my collection.

Buy a magazine loader tool. Your thumbs will thank you.

Zer000
May 21, 2003, 04:24 PM
Yay! I picked up my new 22/45 during my lunch break. Now I have to wait till the weekend to go shoot it :(

I loaded up a mag, and you guys weren't lying when you said they were hard to load. I'll definitely have to pick up a mag loader. Heres a quick pic of my new baby. :D

http://members.arstechnica.com/subscriptors/x/Zer000/r2245s.jpg

EDIT: I noticed that the Mainspring Housing Latch kinda dug into my hand a little, anyone have experince with one of those slip-on rubber grips?

Meowhead
May 22, 2003, 11:45 AM
I noticed that the Mainspring Housing Latch kinda dug into my hand a little, anyone have experince with one of those slip-on rubber grips?
That's strange. Try pivoting it out of the frame, and reseating it, maybe? I've never had that problem with my Mk.2.

As for those slip-on grips - I don't see any reason why one wouldn't work. You'd have to take it off every time you want to clean the gun, though.

arinvolvo
May 22, 2003, 02:18 PM
I have some of those rubber wrap arounds on mine...they work great.

http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=202878

gudel
May 22, 2003, 04:38 PM
Zer000, did you buy it online or did you get it from local stores? (which store)

Zer000
May 22, 2003, 05:02 PM
I bought it at Far West. Do you buy guns online? If so, where do you get them shipped to?

arinvolvo
May 22, 2003, 05:42 PM
Zer000, You can buy guns online, as long as they are shipped to a liscenced FFL dealer....then you pick the gun up a that local dealer, and usually pay a transfer fee of 20 bucks or thereabouts.

Plus money for brady check.

It is relatively easy, and usually will save you lots of money.

Check out www.cdnninvestments.com

Download the latest catalog, and check out the sweet deals.

Zer000
May 22, 2003, 05:47 PM
Yeah, I've got my eye on a few guns from CDNN (mostly a steyr M9). I was hoping gudel knew a cheap place in town that does transfers. The guys at Far West were pretty vauge about how much it would actually cost for the transfer fee, but I got the idea it wouldn't be cheap.

gudel
May 22, 2003, 06:57 PM
Zer000 there's a place in calle real that you can transfer. i believe they charge you $57 for transfer. they sell custom ammunition.

i do not think they're really willing to help you to get the best deal. i asked them and i got an email saying that they would do it once or twice per year but you have to buy their ammo. i guess they frown upon this practice. they say they don't make profit on transfers, i say BS. $57 is more than what CA laws allow.
there's another gun shop in ventura, i haven't really try that one.

i got my usp45 from far west, not the cheapest place in town but the people seem more willing to talk to you. rick in goleta valley has the lowest price, but he doesn't have anything in stock, you have to order.

Zer000
May 22, 2003, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I've found Far West the most helpful out of all the stores, but their prices leave a little to be desired. I was checking out a CZ 75 there and they said they were going for $470... :eek:

gudel
May 22, 2003, 07:39 PM
they're selling ruger KP95 for $411 ;)
i guess it must be the information you get.

Zer000
May 22, 2003, 07:44 PM
they're selling ruger KP95 for $411

Heh, last time I was in there, the guy was trying to tell me what a great buy the KP95 was. Personally I think the Ruger pistols (including the 22/45) are ugly as hell, so I'd never buy one of the centerfire models, but certainly not at that price. Sigh, I really need to find a cheap place for transfers.

gudel
May 22, 2003, 07:47 PM
goleta gun/dodge city sells that model for $389.
i went to reseda to get my xd, store is huge, 10 times larger than far west. but one of the sales is a jerk, so i went to another sales guy to talk to him instead. smaller stores seems nicer but slightly higher price. actually i was about to get a ruger .22, but i saw the XD, just can't resist :)

Zer000
May 22, 2003, 07:51 PM
Thats pretty funny, I actually went to far west to get an XD, but ended up getting the 22/45 after I decided I couldn't afford an XD at the prices the shops in town wanted. How much did you get that XD for in reseda? Whats the name of the store there?

gudel
May 22, 2003, 07:53 PM
hehe... dodge city sells XD40 for $470, i didn't even bother asking farwest since it will cost more. i went to turner's in vanowen and tampa (exit tampa off 101 south), they are selling XD40 for $429.

Zer000
May 22, 2003, 08:04 PM
Damn! Turner's has the 22/45 for $120 less then I paid for it. :mad: Of course, I'd have to spend a couple bucks in gas to get there, but jeez! I feel like an idiot. I'm going to have to not buy anything else locally. :banghead:

gudel
May 22, 2003, 08:16 PM
i'm going to turner's in the afternoon to pick up my xd on tuesday. you should come and check it out.
i did calculation for gas with my truck of 20mpg. i still save money :) the only thing it takes time, but since i'm a student, i have lots of time. is this the one you have? (http://www.turners.com/engage/displayad.php?H=1&m1=May&m2=May&d1=22&d2=28&img=ads/05-22-03/ruger2245.gif)
where do you shoot?

Zer000
May 22, 2003, 08:22 PM
Yep, exact same one. :( I find that highly distressing. I've always been shooting at the area up on East Camino Cielo, which is a good place for shooting old computers and the like, but not the best place to work on accuracy. I was thinking about taking my 22/45 up to the winchester canyon gun club this weekend to punch some holes in paper with it. I'd like to check out Turners, but I work until 6, which kinda makes things difficult during the week. Where do you normally shoot?

gudel
May 22, 2003, 08:29 PM
i thought the winchester gun canyon is in East Camino Cielo? where can you shoot computer parts? the winchester club seems to allow paper target only.
but if there's a place where you can have other targets than paper, i have some course readers i'd like to blown to bits (which is technically papers, but in a form of a book) :D

i went to ventura range, they only allow you to use their own target (!) but you can use any cartridges you have except for 44 magnum. there's one indoor range in oxnard, shooter's paradise, they require you to use TMJ or their reloads (which is expensive). i find the winchester one is the cost efficient range, you can use any cartridges and they supply you with targets!.

Zer000
May 22, 2003, 08:42 PM
The winchester canyon gun club is on West Camino Cielo. There is a desigated shooting area up on East Camino Cielo too. It is pretty far up the road, which is not in the best shape, so its kind of a trek, but all you need to do is buy an adventure pass for your car for five bucks, and you can shoot anything you want. There's no range officer or anything, so sometimes it can get a little dicey, but I've never had any real problems there. I took my old desk up there last time I was there and laid into it with my mossberg. :evil: I didn't know there was an indoor range in oxnard, do you know what time they close?

gudel
May 22, 2003, 08:55 PM
never heard of that East one. do you have direction/map?
the one in oxnard i believe they close at 7 or 9, but it's in the evening. i don't recommend it, but it's okay if you just want to shoot about 100 rounds or so.

Zer000
May 22, 2003, 09:03 PM
I don't have a map because there is no address... ;) You go past West Camino Cielo and then turn right on East Camino Cielo and just follow it. The shooting area is about three or four miles past where it turns into a dirt road. Its not the easiest place to find, but its not exactly hidden either.

I'm sure the indoor place isn't that great, but sometimes I want to get in a quick shoot after work, and that would do. When I was going to school full time, I had time to go up to East Camino Cielo during the day, but now that I'm working FT it would be dark by the time I got there.

If you enjoyed reading about "Oh the waiting! (Or, Zer000 buys a 22/45 for his first pistol)" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!