Most realistic gun movie?

PDA

winstonsmith
May 10, 2003, 08:57 PM
I was thinking about this the other day. What is the most realistic usage of guns in a film.

The first thing that popped into my head was matrix, and then I realized that I really didn't know any movies that do guns justice.

I just got access to a great used movie collection so Im open for reccomendations here.

If you enjoyed reading about "Most realistic gun movie?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
May 10, 2003, 09:12 PM
Shane.

The first realistic movie shooting, a gunfighter that actually LOOKED and acted like a real gunfighter, and guns that sounded like real guns.

In a book about Charlie Russel the "Cowboy artist', is one of his pen and ink drawings of a Montana gunman shooting a man in a corral. Jack Palance is dressed exactly like the man in the drawing.

Phantom Warrior
May 10, 2003, 09:19 PM
I absolutely love The Matrix. Love it, love it, love it. I'm going to see The Matrix: Reloaded Thursday, Friday, and very possibly Saturday. But it's not quite realistic. Awesome gunplay, yes. But realistic things like reloading, no. Why reloaded when you are carrying a dozen guns?

The best gun movie that comes to my mind right away is "Way of the Gun." Wow. Spectecular. RELOADING, tactical reloads, room clearing, cover fire, sniping w/ a spotter, showing a .45 in the holster with the hammer back. The little things that only gun nuts notice but that really make it good.

"Heat" was also a good gun movie. I didn't enjoy the story as much. But from a technical point it was excellent.

Mike Irwin
May 10, 2003, 09:34 PM
My vote is still L.A. Confidential.

BowStreetRunner
May 10, 2003, 09:37 PM
LA Confidential AND The Way of the Gun are both awesome gun movies!
BSR

Bruce H
May 10, 2003, 10:10 PM
Austin Powers with the machine gun jubblies.

srschick
May 10, 2003, 10:11 PM
Hey,hey,hey,hey,hey (in my best Eddie Murphy voice).

What about Heat?
That has to be some of the best gun play, not to mention some of the best tactics (well, yea, it was by the bad guys though) I've ever seen in a movie.

One of my most favorite movies (out of the 350 DVD's that I own :neener: )

Admiral Thrawn
May 10, 2003, 10:37 PM
The Way Of The Gun
Black Hawk Down
Saving Private Ryan
Band of Brothers
We Were Soldiers

cool45auto
May 10, 2003, 10:39 PM
Way of the Gun
Heat

Both excellent movies.

Razor
May 10, 2003, 10:50 PM
(out of the 350 DVD's that I own)

Say, that's a good start...:neener:

Heat
The Way of the Gun
Proof of Life (the rescue)
Black Hawk Down (3-disc Special Edition out 3June, BTW)

megatronrules
May 11, 2003, 02:27 AM
Another vote here for "The way of the gun" and "heat" are also good and realistic gun movies.

Mike Irwin
May 11, 2003, 02:28 AM
I liked heat a LOT, but some of the scenes had a bit of the "endless magazine" syndrom...

cratz2
May 11, 2003, 04:11 AM
I think pretty much anything other than Road To Perdition. :p The 1911 firing with the slide locked back was almost enough to make me stop the movie.

I guess I'm in the majority as the first two movies that came to mind were Heat and The Way of The Gun.

agony
May 11, 2003, 11:45 AM
Another vote for 'Heat.'

Mastrogiacomo
May 11, 2003, 01:24 PM
Well...here's a bit of a goof -- using "realistic" and "movies" in the same sentence.:D An honest reply would be -- there are none! But there are several really great gun movies. I loved "High Plains Drifter," "The Matrix," -- anything by John Woo and the "Lethal Weapon" series. Big fan of "Jackie Brown" and "Gloria" with Gena Rowlands. Also loved "Chungking Express" for the .38 action by Brigitte Lin. :D :D

Mastrogiacomo
May 11, 2003, 01:27 PM
Incidently, some great Hong Kong gun flicks such as "Full Contact" and others -- "Killer's Romance..." can be found rather cheaply at:

www.yesasia.com
www.half.com

Both great places to start building a good gun movie collection.

themic
May 12, 2003, 11:23 AM
LAST MAN STANDING!

ok, not realistic at all, but damned fun watching people fly back when hit with the mighty 45 :D

mothernatureson
May 12, 2003, 11:40 AM
lots of good gun movies out there, but for a great entertaining movie, wath the original "Tremors", with Kevin Bacon. But it has this husband/wife survivalist twosome. Lots of good firearms, and dialouge is exceptional. Peace
mothernatureson

MLH
May 12, 2003, 11:53 AM
'nuff said:scrutiny:

Tamara
May 12, 2003, 11:56 AM
The Way Of The Gun and Heat, hands down.

Ronin wasn't too awful bad, either.

themic
May 12, 2003, 02:08 PM
tremors was great... that was reba mcintyre herself shootin all those guns

and ronin.... great flick
everyone is asking the gun supplier dude for all these fancy big and automatic guns for their next job... then deniro (the hero) says, hmm, 1911 will do for me.

Schuey2002
May 12, 2003, 03:13 PM
What Tamara said. ;)

BigG
May 12, 2003, 03:29 PM
Way of Gun? Where did they keep all those extra .45 magazines in those dockers? 2) Can't fire a .45 as fast as they did and hit anything. 3) Maybe that's why Caan outgunned em wif a J-frame? ;)

Outlaw Josey Wales pretty dang good with the Colts!

Penforhire
May 12, 2003, 03:59 PM
What, no war movies?!?! How about Full Metal Jacket or Platoon or Sniper or ...

priv8ter
May 12, 2003, 05:48 PM
I've got to go with a Clint Eastwood movie...Unforgiven...

Let's see...Morgan Freeman gut shoots the one guy, and then in the final scene, he has misfire in his shotgun...

to me, that is pretty realistic stuff....

TheMariner
May 12, 2003, 06:02 PM
Hmmm... I too am surprised by the lack of war movies...

I'd say Saving Private Ryan...
Also, Quigley Down Under, Road to Pedition, Matrix, and a few others I can't recall right now..

Also, I know it ain't a movie, but there is an awesome series a friend showed me called Noir. Some of the shots would have been alittle on the "difficult" side but atleast they got the ammo loads for the guns right... plus it features guns like the Walther P99 and the 1934 Beretta

Hugo
May 13, 2003, 09:41 AM
Noir is very good both plotwise and gun use realism. Hellsing is a little bit except for Alucards Foot-long 454 casull automatic and 13 mm, but they look so cool you just dont care. And Victoria's 30mm rifle just makes you drool with envy. Trigun is ........... interesting though mostly eye candy. (Look for a cross heavily inspired by the movie Desperado) :)

Live action movies I would definitely agree with Quigley Down under. (ahhh Magnum PI, good times) AirWolf was cool too, the few times I remember Hawke outside the copter, he used a 1911 pretty accurately. Unfortunately all movies have at least one minor mistake since they are on a budget of time and money so don't be too picky folks. Movies are hard to make.

Flashpoint
May 13, 2003, 12:06 PM
is how the bullet makes, in Gene Hackman, such a clean hole that the sun shine through it.:scrutiny: That awsome scene can be found in the Quick and the Dead.:rolleyes:

moa
May 13, 2003, 12:27 PM
I was really impressed with the combat scenes from Band of Brothers. As good if not better than Saving Private Ryan of Blackhawk Down.

High Noon, the western was not bad realistically for a 1950s movie. Actually had one bad guy reloading his six-gun. Only problem is that I do not remember him first removing the spent cartridge cases one-by-one.

BerettaNut92
May 13, 2003, 01:36 PM
Hard Boiled
The Killer
A Better Tomorrow
:D

Captain Scarlet
May 13, 2003, 03:08 PM
HEAT, DIRTY HARRY, THE ENFORCER, MAGNUM FORCE!!!!!! :cool:

Matthew_Q
May 13, 2003, 03:38 PM
Ronin was pretty good... I cheered when DeNiro said "a 1911 will do for me"

I haven't seen Way of the Gun, but now it's on my list of TO SEE movies.

Saving Private Ryan was pretty good.... Ryan asking for a bandoleer, Melloche in the house with the other guy and the .30 suggesting they check the headspace. The only part I didn't like is the M1s total lack of kick, and the put put put put sound when they fired it.

Ledbetter
May 13, 2003, 04:09 PM
Something different: Ghost Dog, with Forrest Whittaker, directed by Jim Jarmusch. A hit man who actually cleans his suppressor.

Nightcrawler
May 13, 2003, 04:26 PM
Pulp Fiction. The gun HANDLING was terrible (and the expected results of this happened when John Travolta had an ND and shot that dude in the face; shouldn't have been waving his gun around with the finger on the trigger). But the guns were portrayed rather realistically in terms of function and sound.

Heck, that movie that the most realistic sounding suppressor (on a MAC 10) that I've ever heard. I've heard that Quentin Terantino is a big gun geek, too.

Russ
May 13, 2003, 04:44 PM
Phantom Warrier,

I too love the Matrix. Can't wait for Reloaded to get here. Been a long long wait. I have probably seen the Matrix 30 times. Great flick. Hope the sequels are half as good.

Russ

twoblink
May 13, 2003, 09:07 PM
Equilibrium!!

Oh wait.. realisitc..

Heat gets my vote..

Admiral Thrawn
May 13, 2003, 09:55 PM
That guy, Quentin Terantino, is sooo eccentric.

Ahh well, he makes good movies, so what the hell... lol :D

John G
May 13, 2003, 10:08 PM
Dead Man, directed by Jim Jarmusch.

Cool western, with lots of realistic gunplay. People miss, or freeze during a shoot-out. Gunshot wounds bleed, and the fights are ugly. Very cool.

Art Eatman
May 13, 2003, 10:16 PM
Dunno 'bout "best", but "Thief" with James Caan had some of the most realistic pistol-handling I've seen.

This was back in the earlier days of IPSC, before race guns and "gaminess". The movie credited some IPSC/Steel Challenge guys as advisors. (International Shootists, Inc.? Can't pull the names from the Steel Challenge. :() I disremember who made the custom 1911s for the flick.

Stuff like low-Weaver in search mode, straight out of Gunsite. None of the "Harsky and Stutch" nonsense. :)

Art

Frohickey
May 13, 2003, 10:29 PM
Unforgiven, Ned Logan (Morgan Freeman) didn't shoot anyone. It was Mr. William Munny, killer of women and children, that gutshot that cowboy.

Hardtarget
May 13, 2003, 11:39 PM
My three favorites: Josey Wales, Unforgiven (ever notice there seems to be no good guys in this one?), and The wind and the Lion ( great start up). I've seen some great movies listed, so I'm making plans to re-watch several over the next few weeks.
Mark.

priv8ter
May 14, 2003, 12:30 AM
No...I'm pretty sure Morgan Freeman's charecter gut shot him, then couldn't pull the trigger again...and then Clint's charecter, whose killed one of everything that every walked or crawled, couldn't hit him either...

I could be wrong, but I'm willing to bet a soda!

Greg

John G
May 14, 2003, 12:33 AM
I think Freeman couldn't pull the trigger, so Clint had to take the rifle, and did the gut-shooting.

Dean Speir
May 14, 2003, 12:30 PM

Best gun flicks? As good as The Way of the Gun and Heat were, you gotta go back to an earlier Michael Mann film, 1981's Thief with James Caan and a Hoag longslide with S&W K-frame sights (that was the hot IPSC set-up of the day)… Caan executes the all-time best (and probably very first) press-check ever seen on the big screen, and only makes one flub, an extraneous wrist flip while making a reload during the final firefight as Dennis Farina is charging across the brains heavy's lawn, firing a High Standard Model 10 (bullpup) shotgun at him.

I agree that the gun stuff in LA Confidential was top notch, but then the gun wrangler/armorer was the great Thell Reed, one of the original, along with Jeff Cooper, Jack Weaver, John Plein, Eldon Carl and Ray Chapman, Big Bear "Leather-slappers." (Check out Reed's film credits (http://us.imdb.com/Name?Reed,+Thell) sometime!)

Caan's instructor for Thief was one Galen D. "Chuck" Taylor during the time he was Jeff's D.Ops at API. Despite several mentions of Cooper on the DVD edition's SAP, Caan never attended Gunsite; Taylor did it as a private commission since Jeff declined to participate in the movie project, reasoning that an ex-con/career criminal like "Frank" would have had no exposure to the Modern Technique.

I must concur with priv8ter that Unforgiven was excellent in this respect: A very strong Second Amendment statment is made when Sheriff Bill Daggett (Gene Hackman) demands that English Bob (Richard Harris) disarm in order to comply with a municipal ordnance, right down to "that little hide-out gun you keep." Bob does so reluctantly, saying "Would you disarm me in the face of my enemies?" As soon as he gives up that last little gun, Bill Daggett, with his deputies by him, administers a vicious beating to the unarmed visitor.

In the final saloon shoot-out, Eastwood's William Munny faces a superior force of numbers who lose their individual and collective composures the minute the first shot is fired. They are diving and scrambling and throwing lead all over the place, while our protagonist calmly stands there, takes his time and makes every one of his revolver's shots count. A great movie!

one-shot-one
May 14, 2003, 12:50 PM
BEST EASTWOOD, (CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME) HE IS WALKING DOWN THE STREET SHOOTING GUYS, STOPS REMOVES THE CYLINDER FROM HIS SA. AND REPLACES IT WITH A PRELOADED SECOND CYL. AND CONTINUES KILLING.
BEST MODERN (NOT REALISTIC BUT GREAT TO WATCH) TRUE LIES.

Ledbetter
May 14, 2003, 01:16 PM
for giving me an excuse to rent Unforgiven.

I'm gonna see that other Jim Jarmusch film too.

DJJ
May 14, 2003, 02:28 PM
"Ronin" may have had realistic gunplay, except for the "teflon-coated bullet" scene, but for pure Hollywood fantasy, the car chase scenes should have won an Oscar.

90 mph through narrow European streets, no cars pulling out in front of them, no car doors opening, etc.? Please. :rolleyes:

Penforhire
May 14, 2003, 07:50 PM
That Audi's perfect four wheel drift around the traffic circle still gives me goosebumps.

Thumper
May 14, 2003, 08:37 PM
Ronin, heat, Way of the Gun...I agree on all.

Just jumped into the thread to give Red Dawn a little love.

adobewalls
May 14, 2003, 10:15 PM
One-shot-one, I think the movie title you refer to is Eastwood's "Pale Rider".

One more vote for "Unforgiven", at least in the westen genre - it has the story, characters (William Muny, Little Bill and English Bob) and the hardware.

I also liked the original spagetti western, "The Good, the Bad and the Ugly."

DigMe
May 14, 2003, 11:43 PM
To me Black Hawk Down was the be-all end-all of realistic gun movies. One thing they really nailed were the sounds of the guns. You hear that metallic "chink chink" when they shoot their M4's which you don't normally hear in the movies. I just thought that was great as far as getting a pretty realistic view of combat and seeing realistic shooting and guns (M4, CAR-15, SAW, Kalishnikov, MP-5, big .50's, all the chopper-mounted weapons). Great stuff. Although I've never been in modern warfare I feel like this is as good a view of what it's like as we have available right now.

As far as movies that were pure gun fun I'd have to go with The Matrix (great variety of weapons here...M4, Desert Eagle, shotguns, MP-5, Mac-10, etc, etc...). Also enjoyed Ronin, Heat, Taxi Driver, Saving Private Ryan, and all the others that have been named!

Whoever mentioned Jarmusch's Dead Man...Great call! I wouldn't recommend to anyone who doesn't like artsy movies but it's great. Black and white flick with all kinds of cameos and stars. I think this was Robert Mitchum's last movie too.

brad cook

winstonsmith
May 15, 2003, 12:07 AM
There was a mac-10 in the matrix? Where?!?!?!

:what: :what: :what: :what: :what:

Mike Irwin
May 15, 2003, 12:43 AM
You know, I was thinking, too...

The guns and general gun handling in "The Untouchables" with Costner and Connery was actually pretty good, too.

5ptdeerhunter
May 15, 2003, 11:00 AM
I think Black Hawk Down is a great gun movie. Also Saving Private Ryan even though there were a few firearm related mistakes.

DigMe
May 15, 2003, 12:29 PM
There was a mac-10 in the matrix? Where?!?!?!

In the big shootout-a-rama in the lobby. He's got all those guns attached to him that he keeps pulling out and (if my memory serves correctly)he pulls out a pair of Mac-10's sorta near the end of that whole sequence. I might be wrong.

brad cook

280PLUS
May 15, 2003, 04:48 PM
and his power pasties

:neener:

winstonsmith
May 15, 2003, 05:01 PM
I thought those were mini uzis. time to re-examine, I guess. Didn't sound like macs... Anyone got the movie at home? Could you check please? (I'm giving you an excuse to watch the shoot out. Multiple times, even.);)

TechBrute
May 15, 2003, 05:05 PM
I feel like I reading through my DVD collection in this post.:D

clange
May 15, 2003, 05:05 PM
Black Hawk Down
LA Confidential
Heat

Someone said Proof of Life, i thought that was pretty cool but always wondered how realistic it was. Looked good to me but i dont know jack about that stuff. :confused:

Havent seen Way of the Gun, sounds like i should check it out.

DigMe
May 16, 2003, 12:48 AM
I thought those were mini uzis. time to re-examine, I guess. Didn't sound like macs... Anyone got the movie at home?

You're right. I just watched it again with my fiance so she could get refreshed for the sequel tomorrow.

The guns that Neo shoots in that scene (only the ones he has on him...not including the ones he picks up) are pair of MP-5s, then auto pistols (Beretta?), then a pair of machine pistols..Steyr maybe? Some version of TMP?, then a pair of Micro Uzis.

However...I knew I'd seen a Mac 10 in that movie as I'm pretty sure that's what Apoc is shooting in the building that they get trapped after they've seen the Oracle. The gun that Apoc starts shooting in the basement.

brad cook

winstonsmith
May 16, 2003, 12:57 AM
Ok, so I'm not crazy. Thanks for the confirmation. I look forward to tagging each and every gun when I see the matrix two tomorrow. in about 18 hours in fact.

OEF_VET
May 16, 2003, 01:32 AM
Tears of the Sun was pretty good, especially the close order drills; their reaction to an ambush is classic 'violence of action', lay down a base of supressive fire and take the fight to the enemy.

12.7x99mm
May 16, 2003, 01:41 AM
Actually I never heard of the "Way of the Gun" until I started reading this site. (I know Im lame) rented it yesterday and I think I need to see it JUST one more time to make my opinion on it.

Ill go with Austin Powers with the machine gun jubblies. As Bruce mention in post number 6 for now

May 16, 2003, 06:28 AM
Josey Wales - Clint carrying all those extra cap and ball revolvers and for us older guys - Peckenpaw's "The Wild Bunch" guns shoot dry and get reloaded

Bonker
May 16, 2003, 09:47 AM
ANything where they don't hold their pistols sideways! God I am tired of that!

I'll put in another vote for Tremors! Love those guns!

I also like the 50 cal in Tremors2 :)

If you enjoyed reading about "Most realistic gun movie?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!