Lefty Garand Tips?

PDA

antsi
May 11, 2003, 12:12 AM
I've got a Garand I'd like to shoot in CMP/Highpower matches (usually shoot an AR in Hipower). Problem is, I shoot long guns left handed. For casual plinking, I can load the Garand with my right hand then sling up and shoot left-handed -- or, even with the sling on, I can load single shots just fine. The problem obviously is going to be in rapid fire, trying to load clips with my left hand. I just can't figure out how to do it.

Any ideas, anyone?

If you enjoyed reading about "Lefty Garand Tips?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
hps1
May 11, 2003, 12:32 AM
If you can get hold of a copy of the American Rifleman, March, 1967 on page 40 is a pictorial description of loading the M1 for southpaws. Unfortunately, I do not have a flat bed scanner but will type the written description, maybe that will help. Please excuse any typo's, it's getting late.;)

Single-round loading:
Retract the op rod fully rearward to lock. Place round in chamber and seat it with left thumb. Press down on the follower with the tip of the middle finger while retracting the op rod handle with second joint of the index finger. Allow bolt to ride slowly part way over follower, then raise the hand SMARTLY clear of rifle to avoid M1 finger!!!!!

Pressure against op rod handle should be straight rearward to avoid lifting it out of the track and jamming. Hand and wrist should be angled high enough to clear rear sight.

Loading full clip:
Place rounds in clip so top round is on the left side. This gives a more comfortable thumb contact point. Place loaded clip on follower and press down with ball of left thumb until clip is latched. Bolt may have to be assisted in stripping top round from clip by striking handle with heel of left hand. Point the thumb forward so that if struck by bolt it will be deflected upward and clear of the rifle.

Loading partial clip (2 rounds):
Usually done while standing in prepartion for rapid fire. Rifle is supported by the right hand near the balance point. Clip and 2 rounds are placed in receiver w/left hand. Press down on clip and rounds w/fingers of the right hand (fingers wrap over the top left side of receiver in the picture) while left middle or little finger pulls op rod rearward. Lift fingers clear of feed opening when clip is retained by clip latch and allow bolt to move forward unimpeded into closed position. If bolt happens to override top round, allow it to go fully forward then pull op rod back one time and release it.

Make certain bolt is fully closed by striking handle w/heel of hand. An alternate method is to insert clip and rounds w/left hand and use single-loading technique to seat clip and close bolt.

Sorry couldn't post pics, but maybe this will help some. I'm sure if you can get pics from this article it would make it easier. Maybe someone else can assist in that area or perhaps if you called competitions @ NRA someone would be able to assist.

Watch the thumb and fingers!!!:D

Regards,
hps

hps1
May 11, 2003, 12:35 AM
antsi:
If you are unable to get pics and can't sort it out from the description, send me a PM with your address and I'll get a copy made of the article and mail it to you.

Regards,
hps

If you enjoyed reading about "Lefty Garand Tips?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!