Reasons for Class A license in MA

PDA

Blain
May 11, 2003, 12:58 AM
Just curious if anyone has a list of good reasons/excuses to give to the police cheif when he asks you why you want/need a class A FID card in MA. A class A card allows you to buy and own semi auto rifles and pistols that can accept more than 10 rounds. It is also a CCW license. It is a must, but is up to the police chiefs discretion. The better reasons one gives him, the better!

If you enjoyed reading about "Reasons for Class A license in MA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
XeroSygnal
May 11, 2003, 01:06 AM
I just put "For All Lawful Purposes" as my reason on both my initial application and on my renewal. Don't know if that's a good enough reason or not for your chief. I gues it depends on what town/city it is. For the record, my application and renewel were in Quincy which seems to be very good about granting Class-A permits.

Benjamin
May 11, 2003, 01:45 PM
"For all lawful purposes" - then you're covered for anything.

You may then be asked to explain.

Other purposes are "target & hunting" (per my FID)

I know there are others, but can't recall at this moment. Given the choice, opt for all purposes. Best of luck with your LTC.

Blain
May 11, 2003, 01:55 PM
Yeah, my FID card has "Sport/Hunting/Target.

If asked to clarify all lawful purposes I will just say "self defense, sprot, target, and hunting". Though I will be very tempted to put in "2nd Amendment", doubt that would go over too well, though.

Say, don't you also have to write an essay or get references or some other BS like that? I know that the cost of the thing is going to be near $100. $50 for the course, and $50 for the license. Damn rip off, if you ask me.

Mastrogiacomo
May 11, 2003, 02:39 PM
Just sent another letter to beg the Chief for mercy. In Peabody it gets upgraded to an A the second time around when you go to renew. Still, I don't want to wait that long as I need it for work -- and regardless of what the Chief thinks -- you CAN'T GET HIRED WITH A CLASS B GUN PERMIT FOR A CLASS A ARMED SECURITY JOB!! Tried "For all Lawful purposes" -- it doesn't fly in Peabody.:cuss: :banghead: :fire:

Standing Wolf
May 11, 2003, 06:37 PM
From the sound of it, Taxachussetts is just jerking law-abiding American citizens around for the sake of jerking law-abiding American citizens around.

M1911
May 11, 2003, 07:35 PM
It is also a CCW license. Actually, it might be a CCW. It depends upon the reason for issuance. A reason for issuance that reads "All Lawful Purposes" is a CCW. One that reads "Target and Sporting" is not.

I suggest you contact GOAL (http://www.goal.org). You are a member, aren't you? They may have some information about your town. Some chiefs give out ALP quite freely. Others will only give them out if you have a picture of the Chief with a goat.

The "best" reason is if you 1) own your own business and 2) can document that as a result of 1) that you regularly deposit significant sums of cash.

Mastrogiacomo
May 11, 2003, 08:04 PM
That arguement wouldn't hold water if you haven't worked in three years because no one is hiring; I can't figure out how to have the experience employers want without someone actually breaking down and giving me a job. If I could, I'd have a Ph.D in Logic.... So much for GOAL too if you don't have money for them either -- and I doubt they could help you. You need a lawyer -- so do I but I can't afford one.:fire:

airpw
May 11, 2003, 08:15 PM
Apply for the Class A, if nothing else, it lets you buy pistols that can have "high capacity" mags.

"All Lawful purpose" = CCW

Certain towns are better than others.

Randolph and Bedford gives All Lawful Purpose if you pass the background check.

Good luck.

Mastrogiacomo
May 11, 2003, 08:26 PM
"Certain towns are better than others" is putting it mildly. I'm trying again for the Class A now -- God willing someone will pity me. I have a list of people I'd love to reapply for employment with. I plan to move out of this state when I have the money to do so. Pray to Christ that's soon.:banghead:

M1911
May 12, 2003, 01:56 PM
So much for GOAL too if you don't have money for them eitherIt costs $30 to join GOAL. If you can't afford that, how can you afford ammunition?

Mastrogiacomo
May 12, 2003, 02:07 PM
I can't. I haven't been to the range in a while...

Devonai
May 12, 2003, 02:29 PM
Good stuff:

Petaining to LTC classes (http://www.state.ma.us/legis/laws/mgl/140-131.htm)

Mastrogiacomo
May 12, 2003, 03:25 PM
Christ I'm shocked! Turned down yet again for a Class A even though I presented a list of people who've rejected me for armed job without the Class A. Also tried a slew of businesses that haven't been hiring either. "We have a policy and you need to be hired for a Class A position before we'll issue you the permit." Where's that damn pro-bono lawyer when you need one -- just the movies?:fire: :cuss: :banghead: :cuss: :fire:

M1911
May 12, 2003, 04:51 PM
Mastro: Have you considered taking an unarmed job with one of those companies? After working for them for a while, then maybe they'll be willing to write you a letter to the chief for a Class A.

Mastrogiacomo
May 12, 2003, 05:01 PM
I've been trying to do just that. Most recently SOS in Dedham was hiring "armed and unarmed." After being turned down for the armed job, I asked about the unarmed positions. Never heard back from them. I hope this company on Wednesday will give me a break.

Anyone know which Green line to take to get to 1 Brighton Ave. in Allston, MA?:confused:

shermacman
May 12, 2003, 05:40 PM
Mastro, B line on the Greenline.
www.mbta.com punch up Boston College.
I can't believe the licensing cop is being such a jerk.
:fire:

Kingson
May 12, 2003, 09:28 PM
Wow out boston way must suck. The Chief here is nice, gave me and my girlfriend a class A license(for all lawful purposes). Went back a year later(last year) and got a machine gun license and he signed off on the form 4 to get the machine gun. Western MA sounds so much better then out east.

shermacman
May 13, 2003, 07:36 AM
First of all, welcome aboard Kingson! I live in Hingham on the South Shore. The licensing officer here was incredulous that I wanted a carry permit. He wanted me to tell him that I carried large sums of cash for my business (I don't), he wanted me to say that I worked in dangerous parts of Boston (I have for 20 years and never once have had a run-in with anyone where a gun might have come in handy). I finally told him that I would go to the Braintree range, get a call to pick up one of my kids and without a full Class A license I would commit a felony by getting in my car and turning right instead of driving straight back to my house. He thought about that one for a minute and issued the license. By the way, he never asked my wife any of those questions, but she is cuter than I am...:D

M1911
May 13, 2003, 04:25 PM
Where's that damn pro-bono lawyer when you need oneHave you called a lawyer and explained your situation? The worst that can happen is that they say they can't help you. All it costs is a phone call. Try Darius Arbabi, Jesse Cohen, or Michael Brennan:

http://www.massgunlaw.com

WyldOne
May 13, 2003, 05:14 PM
Mastro,

I seriously doubt you'll get a license in Boston. Even last year, with the "subway rapist" guy, the Boston Police Chief kept saying that nobody was going to get a permit, period, end of story.

Oh, and the subway rapist guy is back again. Time to go get my whistle. :(

M1911
May 13, 2003, 06:21 PM
WyldOne: He's not in Boston. He's in one of the northern suburbs (though it sounds they're no better than the Boston PD...).

WyldOne
May 14, 2003, 09:59 AM
Oh. Well then, nevermind. :)

I guess I was thrown off by the "Location: Boston" thingy. :o

Devonai
May 14, 2003, 10:58 AM
Again, I appeal to you to move to Beverly.

BTW, Mastrogiacomo, if you ever want to do some free shooting I have a range use permit for Martin Burns WMA up in Byfield. PM me if you ever want to go shooting on the weekend.

If you enjoyed reading about "Reasons for Class A license in MA" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!