Went shooting for the second time this weekend. Any thoughts?

PDA

dumbhunter
September 11, 2006, 11:52 AM
So I went shooting for the second time this weekend, and had a ball. My friend’s brother brought a bunch of different rifles, pistols, and shotguns. I wrote down what I shot so that I could tell you guys. I started out with a Ruger 10-22. Boy, was that thing was fun! I most definitely have to get one of those. Next I shot a M1 carbine. I really liked that one too. What a nice little rifle. Up next, was a bolt action Remington 700 in .243. Most people said that this was the smallest caliber that you would use on deer. It was pretty accurate, and hardly kicked at all. I can definitely take more recoil than that so we moved up to a Winchester 94 in 30-30. A lot of people recommended this type of set-up, and while I do like the lever guns, and it was fun to shoot, it did not feel as accurate as the bolt actions. Next up was a Tikka (sp?) in 260 Rem. This was one of my favorites. It was the most accurate (for me, anyway), and felt the the best in terms of fit. It just seemed like every time I pulled the trigger, a hole magically appeared in the center ring on the target. Next was another one that I really liked, a Browning BAR in 30-06. Now this time the 30-06 felt liked it didn’t kick nearly as hard as with the other rifle. And it was almost as accurate as the 260.

So now I actually have more questions than answers, but if someone would be kind enough to humor me again , I would really appreciate it.
1. is the 260 enough for deer, and if so, what other game can I take with it? Also, how about ammo availability?
2. Any thoughts about an auto loading gun VS a bolt action for hunting?
3. Can any one give me any advice about those rifles? Are they good quality?

As always, I’m new, so if I missed anything, or if anyone has any suggestions, please feel free to recommend it.

Thank you,
Johnny

If you enjoyed reading about "Went shooting for the second time this weekend. Any thoughts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ScottsGT
September 11, 2006, 12:09 PM
So now I actually have more questions than answers, but if someone would be kind enough to humor me again , I would really appreciate it.
1. is the 260 enough for deer, and if so, what other game can I take with it? Also, how about ammo availability?

I know it would be with the small white tails we have in SC. Not sure about those big honkin' deer up north though. I think it would be enough.

2. Any thoughts about an auto loading gun VS a bolt action for hunting?
Some say tomato, some say tomoto. Traditionally, bolt guns are more accurate, but just how accurate do you need to be for hunting? Were not talking about MOA of accuracy, I'd get what you find the most fun to shoot, or if you have a long hike into the woods, the lightest you can find.

3. Can any one give me any advice about those rifles? Are they good quality?
All the rifles you mentioned sound like quality items and you being a new shooter, I bet they can all shoot better than you can :D Just don't get your hands on an M1 Garand

dumbhunter
September 11, 2006, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Sharps Shooter
September 11, 2006, 05:12 PM
“Is the 260 enough for deer, and if so, what other game can I take with it? Also, how about ammo availability?

Yep, a .260 is plenty for deer. A lot more hunters around here use .243s for mule deer. A .260 is nothing but a “necked up” .260, you know. My wife has taken quite a few mule deer with .243s and 7mm-08s over the years. The 7mm-08 is nothing but a “necked up” .260. All three cartridges, the .243, the .260, and the 7mm-08 are “necked down” .308 Winchesters. The .308 Winchester is also plenty for deer.
As for what other game you can take with a .260, coyotes of course. I’d be hesitant to use it on elk or moose unless you’re sure you can put the bullets right behind their ears or right between their eyes. Then again, I know a few hunters who swear by .243s for elk. I just don’t believe the .243s nor the .260s deliver heavy enough bullets for dependable kills on elk at greater distances than I can be depended on to put a bullet behind an elk’s ear. I think a 7mm-08 with 175-grain bullets would probably be okay for elk to maybe 200 yards. I can assure you, the .308 with 180-grain bullets is fine for elk to 200 yards.
I suspect the .260 is plenty for the black bears around here – a .243 is too. I think it would be good for wild boars, but I’ve never even seen one of those, so I’m guessing.
Ammo availability for the .260 is a question someone else will have to answer. My estimate is it’s not all that hard to find, but you’re unlikely to find a box of it at the Kwik Stop Gas Station in McCammon, Idaho.

“Any thoughts about an auto loading gun VS a bolt action for hunting?’

I started with a .308 auto (M-100 Winchester) over 40 years ago. I took plenty of deer, elk, and even a black bear with it. I think gas operated autos have less felt, or perceived, recoil. I don’t think they are as accurate as bolt actions. At least I’ve never heard of anyone shooting bench-rest competition with one. But we’re talking about “hunting accuracy” here. “Hunting accuracy” is how far away you can consistently punch holes in 8” paper plates under field conditions. The distances will vary depending on your shooting position (standing, squatting, sitting, or prone) and whether or not there’s a convenient tree limb, rock, or fence post to rest your rifle on. And don’t forget about the weather when it comes to “hunting accuracy.” Wind adds another challenge to accuracy in the field.

“Can any one give me any advice about those rifles? Are they good quality?’

I’ve had no experience with a couple of them. However, if someone was to give me a choice to pick just one for my all-around big game hunting rifle, I’d grab that Browning BAR 30-06 in a heartbeat. We have one of those sitting in the gun safe for our Grandson’s first big game rifle. It will be his in about 5 years. The old 30-06 cartridge is adequate for any big game anywhere in North America. It’s perfect for deer. I might be hesitant to go after Kodiak Bears with a 30-06, but loaded with 180-grain plus bullets, I’d be far from unarmed. Furthermore, even though the BAR is probably not as accurate as some of the others you mentioned, it’s accurate enough for hunting. And like you already noticed, automatic 30-06s don’t seem to kick as hard as bolt-action 30-06s.
The Model 94 30-30 is of course one of the classic deer guns, particularly in the woods where shots over 100 yards are unlikely. The 30-30 delivers a 170-grain flat, or round nosed bullet at a little better than 2000fps from the muzzle. Hornady is building some new type of pointy, plastic tipped bullets for the tubular magazines of the Model 94s now. They’re supposed to make the 30-30 shoot a little flatter. I guess that would be okay. I’ve just always considered my Model 94 30-30 as a hundred yard deer gun. It works great in that capacity. If I hunt in an area where I’m likely to have opportunities for longer shots, I carry something else. But I’m not about to get rid of my old thudy-thudy – everybody should have at least one of those around.

geekWithA.45
September 11, 2006, 06:01 PM
Some things to be aware of:

A) The M1 carbine is defined in NJ as an "assault weapon", and is therefore contraband and a felony to posess unless your friend happened to have registered it as such back in '92 or so. If not, advise he STFU. I'd usually advise that he square himself with the law, but since there's no lawful way to dispose of an unregistered "assault weapon" in NJ....

B) If you're planning on hunting in PA, be aware that autoloaders are verbotten for hunting courtesy of hunting/game regulations.

dfaugh
September 12, 2006, 09:42 AM
Only one comment in addition to what's already been mentioned. While 10/22s are fun, and offer endless possibilities to customize (if you're into it, and have the budget), out-of-the-box they are generally not nearly as accurate as some others (including some less expensive guns like the Marlin Model 60)

If you enjoyed reading about "Went shooting for the second time this weekend. Any thoughts?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!