do you ever skip cleaning your gun?

PDA

Captain Scarlet
May 11, 2003, 02:46 PM
I have this Norinco 1911 w/chrome lined bore that I have shot
about 150 rds through the last couple of trips, I dont plan on
cleaning or oiling it until it starts to feel dirty or gritty, it still feels
smooth when I rack the slide, and it looks pretty clean. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "do you ever skip cleaning your gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mastrogiacomo
May 11, 2003, 02:52 PM
Very bad move in my opinion....:what: No matter how much of a pain in the neck, I ALWAYS take the time to clean my Beretta compacts after a day at the range. It prevents damage to the gun, keeps it in great working order, and it's just the right thing to do for an expensive firearm that you care about. Would you "skip" feeding your dog for a day?:scrutiny:

gbelleh
May 11, 2003, 02:56 PM
I never skip cleaning my guns. Even if I only put 1 round through it, it still gets a full cleaning!

Boats
May 11, 2003, 02:59 PM
What I don't understand is what is so freaking hard about cleaning a gun that a shooter would choose to be lazy about something so simple and vital?

P95Carry
May 11, 2003, 03:09 PM
On balance .... despite sometimes thinking ... ''oh, can't be bothered'' ........ usually do!

Circumstances do tho alter events. For instance, if I have maybe put just 10 SD rounds thru my snubby ..... I doubt it'll get an instant clean. With semi's I think much has to do with cleaning methods too ...... in as much as, if they are not over lubed and so do not collect crud excessively, then a few rounds thru will rarely IMO be prejudicial.

I feel that lube re trigger group and slides does need to be VERY modest ....... enough for friction reduction but no more.

I'll often shoot my SAR1 and not clean every time ........ likewise with SKS. Probably the most likely ''short cut'' for me is an external wipe with my CLP cloth .. so as to avoid corrosion happening from sweaty hands ........ particularly now we have more humidity again.

One exception I do make ..... in terms of always doing a clean ..... is after shooting lead ..... mostly the .44, cos I do get a bit of leading but also .357 with lead.

Jason Demond
May 11, 2003, 03:20 PM
My biggest fear is rust.

dude
May 11, 2003, 03:20 PM
sometimes I clean them.....mostly I don't
oh well

I do run a wet patch of CLP down the barrel before shooting

P95Carry
May 11, 2003, 03:26 PM
I do run a wet patch of CLP down the barrel before shooting Dude - I hope you follow that with a dry patch!!! Even a light film of CLP or similar can greatly increase pressures.

boing
May 11, 2003, 03:34 PM
I get around to it, eventually. Usually. Depends on how many rounds are through it since it's last cleaning.

It's not like the thing is gonna self-destruct in 10 seconds if you don't clean it right away. (corrosive ammo aside)

Any gun you trust your life to should not be threatened by a little dirt.

drod
May 11, 2003, 04:05 PM
I always thoroughly clean guns after shooting. I even clean them when they have not been shot. It doesn't hurt a gun to clean it. It does hurt it to shoot it dirty (or dry).

cool45auto
May 11, 2003, 04:20 PM
I always make sure my Beretta is clean because it is my primary weapon. I'll let my SKS slide sometimes, but I don't want to chance the Beretta not working because of some dirt or grime.

4v50 Gary
May 11, 2003, 04:36 PM
I know better, but I have. :o Looked at the Diamondback 22 the other day and the lead was oxidizing. Opps. Guess I'll clean it tonight along with the 45 I shot with yesterday.

Bainx
May 11, 2003, 04:54 PM
Boats, you're paranoid man.

Unless it is your personal defense weapon, don't sweat cleaning it after you put a few rounds thru it. Why? Because todays ammo is NOT corrosive, thats why.
I put at least 2000 rounds thru my MKII without cleaning and, no problems ever.

Cheers

T.Stahl
May 11, 2003, 05:18 PM
I thoroughly clean my Glock every ~1,000 rounds, just pull through a bore-snake now and then.
Yesterday's trip to the range showed that it's about time again. She starts ejecting to 6-o'clock and even the left (!).

NonServiam
May 11, 2003, 05:33 PM
I'm ashamed to say I clean the crud from my competition .22 (Hammerli 208S) only every once in a while when it's to clogged up for me to bear it anymore :o. I swear, it has much better consistency when I don't clean it.

The .357 and 9mm I clean religiously. For an agnostic like me, that doesn't say much tough ...

Will I burn for this? :evil:

jsalcedo
May 11, 2003, 05:40 PM
I used to clean my guns vigorously everytime.

I was wearing them out.

The safety spring snapped on my SKS from pushing the takedown button too many times.

My MKII ruger reciever flops back and forth on the frip frame.

I have slide stop scratches on my 1911's

Now I run a boresnake coated with hoppes#9 and a silicone cloth
coated with years of hoppes and rem-oil spills is used for wiping
crud off the outside, chamber and boltface.

I think my guns are happier and and so am I

12.7x99mm
May 11, 2003, 05:46 PM
Mine are cleaned spotless the same or the next day. I like cleaning my guns.

Im spending the nice sunny day today out back cooking out steaks and drinking beer and cleaning guns. Got four more to go.

LAWDOGKMS
May 11, 2003, 05:55 PM
I don't always clean my duty guns right after shooting them..

In combat, would you clean it everyday if the environment wasn't particularly dusty or humid?

If I shoot a qual on Wednesday, with my G22 and Backup G27, I might (and sometimes do) wait until the weekend to clean them..

I have enough confidence that 300-400 rounds is not going to adversely effect my duty gun's functioning when I need it..

On the flip side:

If you cleaned one of your guns and missed a part, of installed something incorrectly, although you have a nice and clean gun, what guarantees it will function when you need it..

I would feel more comfortable knowing the weapon had fired since my last cleaning..

Maybe this is an argument for "proof" testing your firearm after cleaning, before trusting your life to it..

sm
May 11, 2003, 06:00 PM
yes

sm
May 11, 2003, 06:04 PM

OF
May 11, 2003, 06:07 PM
I clean my guns only rarely. So far, they don't seem to mind much.

The G29 and the USP actually seem like they could care less if I clean them or not. So I usually don't bother.

- Gabe

Standing Wolf
May 11, 2003, 06:30 PM
I never have skipped cleaning guns. I've dared myself to once or twice, but when you pour hundreds of dollars into a well wrought machine, you tend to take care of it.

VaughnT
May 11, 2003, 06:49 PM
I tend to agree with Lawdog. While a nice, clean gun is, well, nice, it is not a requirement. I've shot thousands of rounds of really foul ammo out of my 686 without a single cleaning, and carry it in an open holster all/every day. It might look rather poor, but I know it won't jam. It has never given me a reason to fear.

My Colt 91 has to be cleaned more regularly but only because the hammer is the only part that isn't stainless and I don't like the idea of it sitting in there rusting where I can't see. Still, unless I'm in a rainstorm, it can sit in the holster all dirty and I won't mind. Knowing that it will perform when in less-than-optimal condition is very comforting (thanks, Ted).

To each his own.

MeekandMild
May 11, 2003, 07:29 PM
Bore Snake = 30 seconds

Bore Snake + field strip and toothbrush = 3 minutes and 30 seconds.

Kobun
May 11, 2003, 07:48 PM
I never clean any of my new guns.
When I shoot the old ones I do, but the new ones gets shot untill they start having problems feeding.
A drop of oil every now and then... and maby a boresnake, but thats it.
The .22's get a scraping to get the crud out aswell as the supressors.
One of my Glocks actually have a bunch of dust and dirt from S.Africa last year.
Still works great.
Guess I should take a evening and clean all of them one day.
K.

cratz2
May 11, 2003, 08:15 PM
I like cleaning guns... it only takes about 5 mintues start to finish to clean a 1911 with FP10, a gunsnake and a cloth. You can do it while reading over a couple longer posts on THR or watching the first few minutes of a rerun of Family Guy. ;)

Or if you really wanna go all out, buy yourself the Band of Brothers collection and you have watching/cleaning material for some time. You get to clean the gun for 5 minutes and rack the slide and dry fire for another 50 minutes - after you make 1,000% sure it's unloaded. :p

JeepDriver
May 11, 2003, 08:19 PM
One day I'll clean my AK. Not sure when that will be.

The rest of them get cleaned after each range trip..............well most of them.

Darrin
May 11, 2003, 09:37 PM
I always clean all 3 of my guns.

My rifle is my first gun. (Also my Dad's first gun) I take better care of this rifle than I do myself.

The P22 is my newest toy, so I still have the "new-ness factor" that makes taking it apart and putting it back together fun. The enjoyment will slow down in either another 1000 rounds or, of course, a new gun. ;)

My Astra A-90 is just so dang easy to take apart, I have to clean it everytime! :D

Bowlcut
May 11, 2003, 09:49 PM
Ive gotten to the point now I dont clean them RIGHT after shooting. Ill end up waiting till say night or two before we go shooting again. Then again we go shooting every week almost. So its not that bad. Ive now got a bore snake that i usualy run down the barrel before we leave the range. Other than a tad bit of powder on the slide the gun usualy is very clean. and the finish on the sw99 is really tough, and dont show powder too much. If we dont go every week then Ill usualy clean it soon there after.

556A2
May 11, 2003, 10:32 PM
Nope always clean after use, even the AK.

Chris Rhines
May 12, 2003, 11:12 AM
Depends on the gun. Most modern firearms do not need to be kept so spotless that you can eat off the breechface, and cleaning them that much can actually be harmful.

My centerfire guns get a boresnake down the barrel and a general wipe-down after every trip to the range. Every 500 rounds/1 month or so, I take them down and give the internals a good scrubbing.

My .22s, on the other hand, I keep the chambers spotless but rarely clean the bore. When I do clean out the bore (maybe once in 1000+ rounds) I only use a patch and string or a boresnake, never a metal rod. Too easy to rub the chamber out of round.

- Chris

gudel
May 12, 2003, 11:23 AM
i clean them every range session. one of these days i'll put them in a hot soapy water to give some good scrubbing.
do people put oil for the firing pin?

pbman
May 12, 2003, 12:17 PM
It depends of the gun.

I clean my rugger 22 when it quits firing reliabley.

Nicely blued guns get cleaned more often.

badgerrr
May 13, 2003, 05:34 AM
I'm firmly in NonServiam's camp on this subject.

Truely clean guns do not do their job as well as moderately fouled ones.

But a clean gun DOES work much better than a badly fouled one.

(We are not including corrosive primers or BP in this phenomenon)

I have suffered more rusting problems because of imperfectly oiled "clean" guns than from uncleaned ones. Modern "Kleenbore" priming leaves a protective layer of fouling in the barrel/action. And I can swear that vaporized cast bullet lube has protective qualities as well.

Most guns do their real work from the first shot out of the barrel. I find a cold, moderately fouled barrel to usually shoot closer to my point of aim for that first shot, than a "clean" cold barrel. The cold barrel usually causes my rifles to shoot a bit high (and perhaps a smidge to the right for the 1st round.....a clean barrel? God only knows!)

Suffice it to say, when I clean a gun, I am usually hot to get the critter out where I can fire at least fire 4 or 5 rounds thru it.

280PLUS
May 13, 2003, 09:01 AM
my mk II will jam a couple of times after cleaning, the casing gets caught on the sharp edge of the chamber entrance

after its been fired 20 rounds or so it doesnt do it anymore,

so ive learned to only clean it every 500 rounds or so, or until i can't stand looking at it anymore.

then i make sure i fire it a few times before the next match,

so essentially its only really thoroughly clean a short time between firings.

it is stainless, mind you.

the rest of my guns are also impervious to corrosion so i treat them pretty much the same.

when i get bored and need something to do, i go down and clean a gun.

i think its the snubbie's turn...

m

jthuang
May 13, 2003, 12:05 PM
I hate cleaning guns. I once left my Bushmaster A2 20" rifle dirty for over a year before finally cleaning it. Right now I think I've got all three primary guns (handgun, rifle and shotgun) all dirty, and last usage was 6 months or more.

I know it's laziness ... too bad cleaning guns isn't as fun as shooting them.

Justin

Bartholomew Roberts
May 13, 2003, 05:01 PM
I clean them when they need it and not before. All of the firearms I own can easily go hundreds of round without cleaning and still be reliable. Until they have about 1,000 rounds through them I rarely do anything beyond a boresnake, wipe-down and relube.

Modern ammo isn't corrosive so the only real point in cleaning more often than that is corrosion prevention based on environmental differences. The environment here just isn't that hard on guns - especially when they spend most nights in a 70F climate-controlled room with dehumidifier instead of lying on the ground outside all night.

Here is the longest I have let each of several firearms go without cleaning:

Bushmaster AR15 - 900 rounds. I might add that I was sorely tempted to never clean it again too as it was functioning great but was just filthy on the inside. Put some CLP on the bolt at 450rds.

Browning Hi-Power - 1,500 rounds right after I got it back from Wickmann's. Lubed the slide and barrel about halfway through. Longest period with no maintenance at all was 900rds.

Glock 26 - Around 2,000? This was before I started logging rounds and maintenance. If I didn't like having a shiny feed ramp so I could get a good visual indicator of an empty chamber, I would never clean the Glock.

Remington 870 - Not sure on the round count; but timewise it was about 4 years.

Of course, you'll also notice a bias towards weapons that are already well-known for their reliability in that lineup so that may explain why I regard cleaning as less of an issue than some here.

Mike Irwin
May 13, 2003, 05:09 PM
All the time unless I'm shooting corrosive ammunition.

I've got from several hundred to several thousand rounds through a couple of my revolvers since their last thorough cleanings.

Slabside
May 13, 2003, 05:28 PM
CS, you might get away w/ that if it's strictly a range gun but personally, I'd at the very least field strip clean it. I probably detail strip and clean my pistols way more than I should, but I do like them stored clean, particularly if they are going to be stored for long periods of time. If I know that I will be taking the same gun to the range a couple wkends in a row, the field strip clean and a proper lube will suffice. Remember, a clean gun is a happy gun, and a happy gun is what you depend on to save your life.;)

Kharn
May 13, 2003, 05:38 PM
Anything that I shoot corrosive ammo through and the two 1911s that reside in my bedroom are the only guns I religiously clean after each range trip. When I'm home from college for the weekend and hit the range, I have more important stuff to do than spend an hour or two wiping carbon off 6+ guns. My girlfriend helps clean my guns, but she always asks if she's doing every little step right, so it takes forever (even on guns she's cleaned 20+ times).

Maybe next time I'll get her to clean the AK while I clean the rest of the guns, then I might get done in 20 minutes

Kharn

blades67
May 13, 2003, 05:50 PM
I skip cleaning a gun sometimes. There are times I'll go shooting two days in a row, so I don't clean any of the guns that will be going to the range on the second day. There have also been times when the schedule doesn't permit time for cleaning for a few days after shooting. I went shooting on the Saturday, the 10th, with my bride-to-be, my best friend and his ex-brother-in-law, who just enlisted in the U.S. Marines and wanted to go shooting for the first time in his life before he left. I took six guns for the kid to try and my friend brought two of his own. After a few hours gettiing the guns good and filthy, there were about a hundred things that need to get done before Mother's Day, so the guns didn't get cleaned. No guns were cleaned on Mother's Day, that time was spent pampering the Mommies in the family. Monday included a 12 hour shift at the hospital, a Tim McGraw concert, cleaning the HK91 and a few hours of sleep. The rest of the guns were cleaned this morning. I discovered that none of the guns were bothered by the wait.

coop57
May 13, 2003, 05:56 PM
In 1999 I went 6,000 rounds without cleaning my Glock 17. I detailed this experimet on Glocktalk.com. I used all kinds of ammo, even the nasty dirty Wolf. This was not my carry gun, it was only used at the range and at IDPA. I had no problems. I wish I had my digital camera at the time. Yes the feed ramp looked like something from the surface of the moon but it kept on workin. I did lubricate the slide rails after ever 2,000 with Mill tec oil. Finally broke down and cleaned it and replaced the recoil assembly. Great experiment. Would not try this will a 1911 or any of my SIGs.

Dionysusigma
May 13, 2003, 07:30 PM
Somebody had to post this...

God gave you a soul.
Your parents, a body.
Your country, a rifle.

Keep all three of them clean.

makdaddy03
May 13, 2003, 07:43 PM
I dont clean my guns like I should. Todays ammo shoots alot cleaner than the stuff from the old days. My Russian Mak has over 2000rds through it with only 2 malfunctions and only 2 cleanings. Strange huh?:D

280PLUS
May 13, 2003, 09:11 PM
i got all the same guns as you, except the glock...

cool...

:D

incidently, i read somwhere the army, i think, found that constantly cleaning the firearms was wearing them out prematurely.

Stevie-Ray
May 13, 2003, 10:21 PM
Always always always clean them right after I come home from the range. Hate dirty guns!

Bonker
May 13, 2003, 11:41 PM
I never clean my guns and I really don't care :)

Darrin
May 14, 2003, 12:10 AM
Ok, I have to ask; am I the only one here who actually likes the smell of gun oil? It's the end of a good shooting day for me. :)

Why is everyone looking at me like that? :uhoh:

swingset
May 14, 2003, 02:30 AM
I only clean thoroughly after a lot of shooting, 100 rounds or more.

Anything below, I put it away. When I do clean, it's thorough.

I also ALWAYS leave my varmint rig fouled by a couple shots, sighted in. I've been burnt on that "fouling shot" and missed on a clean barrel. Never again. My storage is dry and clean, so no worries about rust.

:D

coorsleftfield
May 14, 2003, 09:12 AM
More damage gets done to guns cleaning than anything else.. I probably take mine apart and clean them after a few thousand rounds and thats it. I think it's more dangerous to over clean that under clean.

LoneStranger
May 14, 2003, 11:26 AM
At present my cleaning equipment is in a storage locker in one city, my guns are in a nice house in another city, I'm in a third city.

YES, I am skipping the cleaning of my guns! Unfortunately it will probably be several more months before I can get all three items together in the same place at the same time. Then I will be able to look for a place to get them dirty at(firing range).

Don't ya just luv it when a plan comes together? Now if only I hadn't lost/mislaid plan.

If you enjoyed reading about "do you ever skip cleaning your gun?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!