Mosinitus has officially set in.

PDA

Deer Hunter
September 13, 2006, 10:38 PM
Alright, after the long wait for the C&R and ordering the rifle, it has come in. All I can say is that I'm floored by the workmanship and the beauty of the rifle. While attemping to clean it up just a tad bit, the wood really surprised me. When buying a 80 dollar firearm, I would have expected something more crude. After reading about how much better the mausers and swiss rifles are, and all the internet talk of mosins having such crude bolts, I was expecting a club that I could occasionally shoot. However, this gun's bolt is fantastic. The wood is in great shape, the bayonet is, well, quite pointy. I'm not sure if it was put into service or not, but here's what I got by what's on the receiver.

It's date of manufacture was 1945. Bad year? Good year? It's right at the end of the war, so I'm a little worried about how this thing will shoot. It has an arrow inside a triangle, but I'll need help identifying it. Ishevic or something? All serial numbers are matching, though, so that's a good sign. Here's a few pictures.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a367/killer56/dood003.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a367/killer56/dood002.jpg
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a367/killer56/dood001.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosinitus has officially set in." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
zero_chances
September 13, 2006, 10:44 PM
nice mosin:)

Clean97GTI
September 13, 2006, 11:54 PM
Unless you see a visible flaw, the steel quality of Soviet weapons is always quite good. That is one thing that the commies always seemed to have in great supply. In fact, thats the reason that Russian ammo tends to be steel jacketed and steel core. Steel, they've got plenty of, brass is a different matter.

at any rate, My M44 is of 1944 vintage and true to Mosins, is more accurate with the bayonet extended. I've shot mine at some distance and have no trouble achieving minute of Nazi at 200 yards with the iron sights.

I wouldn't worry about it and it looks like you've got a nice rifle there. Some may not like the suggestion, but strip the wood down and refinish it. You'll have a great looking shooter that will serve you well for another 60 years.

Limeyfellow
September 14, 2006, 12:56 AM
I must admit I do like my M38 Mosin. Makes a nice little scout carbine, though the kick is rather strong for some people. The 91/30 though will always stay with me, in good condition, reasonably accurate and nice to shoot.

foghornl
September 14, 2006, 01:53 PM
I only have 1 Mosin-Nagant, a 1954 Romanian M-44...I lovingly call the "M-44 LoudenBoomer"

With the right ammo (or wrong, depending you your point of view!) it works pretty good to clear the nearby shooting lanes. I once made a guy shooting a .300WinMag pack up and leave...he was muttering something about MY gun being too loud.

buck00
September 14, 2006, 04:09 PM
Nice Mosin!

Just remember one thing:

"The first man shoots the rifle! The second man picks up the rifle after he is killed!" - "Enemy at the Gates"

Deer Hunter
September 14, 2006, 05:10 PM
I just got my first chance to shoot it today. Wow, I'm impressed! From all I heard on the internet about this gun "kicking like an angry missouri mule" and "It'll knock your shoulder into place, after the first shot knocked it out of socket!", I was expecting a little something more than what I felt when I squeezed the trigger. :rolleyes: Come on fellas, it doesn't kick anymore than my 30-30!

Buck00, Great movie. Thanks to J&G Sales, however, I don't have to wait for anyone to die to get my ammo.

Clean,

I don't think I'm going to refinish the stock. I'm keeping this one pretty much as is. I havn't baked the cosmoline off of it, but I have wiped it thoroughly with CLP and worked on the barrel and action a little bit. Ejecting the shells got sticky at times, while using Czech silvertip, but I didn't have any problems with it. Just slam that bolt open and go with it!

thefitzvh
September 14, 2006, 05:22 PM
I love my mosins... I'm gonna name my kid Mosin :-D
hHAHAHAHAH

Clean97GTI
September 14, 2006, 05:30 PM
Sticky shells can certainly be a problem. I've heard of people chucking a small wire brush and soaking it with lacquer thinner to clean the chamber out. The lacquer from the cases can transfer and make things a little rough.

If you enjoyed reading about "Mosinitus has officially set in." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!