My Cowboy Assault Rifle

PDA

George Hill
September 14, 2006, 04:00 PM
http://www.madogre.com/Interviews/Marlin336CS.htm
There is nothing better than taking over a century of lever action tradition, and having your way with it.

If you enjoyed reading about "My Cowboy Assault Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Nekron
September 14, 2006, 05:20 PM
Interesting contraption 'ya got there, George. :)

Have you chrono'd any of your loads out of it yet?

George Hill
September 14, 2006, 06:19 PM
Not yet. Will as soon as I can.

Gewehr98
September 14, 2006, 06:32 PM
Ya need to paint it green, too. :D

PaladinX13
September 14, 2006, 06:56 PM
I want one....

slabsides
September 14, 2006, 08:29 PM
Concept is great. Nothing wrong with a green rifle. I would have kept the wood stock, and gone with aperture sights. Don't like the idea of a sighting system that depends on batteries: Murphy's Law applies.
A dandy truck gun.

Seancass
September 14, 2006, 09:53 PM
the black one is cool, but the green one is totally wicked sick. thanks for the idea. if you have any hi-res pics, i'd love em. pics of either gun that is.

SigfanUSAF
September 14, 2006, 10:18 PM
Just needs 4 or 6 m1913 rails hangin out:D

JTW Jr.
September 14, 2006, 10:39 PM
tactical lever gun ? BIG LEWIE

http://www.yost-bonitz.com/packages/biglewie/

I just know I am gonna end up with one soon.

Nematocyst
September 14, 2006, 11:08 PM
Well, I confess, you got me interested, George.

In deciding on my one and only centerfire rifle (it's all I can afford, and I really only want one do-it-all rifle), I've looked at scouts, Ruger Frontier, various truck guns, standard but short lengths (20"), Remington 7600P's, in .308 or 7mm08, all bolt guns or pumps, etc, etc, blue in the face.

All the while, I've been remembering my long lost Marlin 336, sold in a fit of financial desperation (called graduate school), and wondering...hmm, could one of those work?

This lever gun of yours opens new options.

What length is the barrel, please?

Nem

Powderman
September 14, 2006, 11:22 PM
The rifle begs for an ACOG.

And a tri-rail on top, for a Surefire and a laser.

Even better yet, get your gunsmith to open the bottom and modify it for a single stack magazine, perhaps an Enfield's for rimmed cartridges.

NOW yer tactical, fella.:evil:

Seancass
September 15, 2006, 11:53 AM
that second one was cool too!

why cant the make a 336 in a pistol caliber so i can afford to shoot it. they're so pretty. i love the curved grip, but the 30-30 is about 10 bucks too much a box.

mattw
September 15, 2006, 01:44 PM
All i can say is that I am glad you had the sense to do that to a Marlin instead of ruining a Winchester.

cane
September 15, 2006, 01:56 PM
Seancass, Marlin makes several lever actions in pistol calibers. .32 H&R mag, .38special/.357 mag, .44mag, and .45 Colt. just to name a few.

George Hill
September 15, 2006, 02:06 PM
Those are all the same rifle. Started out long brown, then went short and green and then black synthetic.
The difference between the wood and synthetic is a lot of weight. The slimmer and lighter synthetic stocks transformed the rifle. It felt thick and heavy before, now slim and light... and just right. It makes it feel more like an 1894 Marlin than an 1895 type. And these are the cheap Ramline stocks, which fit tight and snug and a heck of a lot better than I thought. They don't feel cheap and hollow like I thought they would. They feel very solid. And shooting it is just as easy... the .30-30 doesn't have any more thump than it did before... not that it had much to begin with.
This is now my Go To Gun for anything inside 200 yards.
(My 7MM Rem Mag for things past 200.)

Ben Shepherd
September 15, 2006, 02:33 PM
I'm telling you......Try that handload I e-mailed you.

You'll be in love with it-I promise.

Nematocyst
September 16, 2006, 12:37 AM
George,

What length is the barrel?

Thanks,

Nem

George Hill
September 16, 2006, 02:15 PM
16.1 inches.

Ben, I'll see you tomorrow at the gun show. :D

Gewehr98
September 16, 2006, 10:44 PM
(My 7MM Rem Mag for things past 200.)

And so soon after I read the paragraph on MadOgre about silly people and their magnums.

How are we supposed to respect you now, George? Stand by your principles, man! Next thing you know, there'll be an AR-15 in your collection. :o

Vairochana
September 16, 2006, 10:58 PM
I have a Win94 and a 336 both in .30-30.
it seems to me that even thought the Marlin is a lot heavier it seems to kick more.
Has anyone else noticed this?

P. Plainsman
September 17, 2006, 12:13 AM
This turned out to be a very cool project. Congrats. I'd love to try that rifle.

The black synthetic stock looks better than the green did, and it makes the "tacticalization" of the old lever rifle more dramatic. Good choice.

(The green stock was interesting, but it didn't look all that classy IMHO as a single matte color, instead of a traditional laminate where you can see the grain and figure.)

Anyway. If the chrono figures for the .30-30 in the 16" barrel play out like they should, then you've got the rough ballistic equivalent of an AK carbine. Similar price range too. Your gun is manually cycled, of course, and has a smaller ammo capacity. But your gun should also be far lighter and handier than an AK (what is the Black Marlin, around 6+ lbs?), with nice lines, a nice stock and a tuned, crisp sporting trigger. And self-contained; no detachable mags to keep track of.

Not bad.

Write an article for one of the gun slicks about this little piece.

Seancass
September 19, 2006, 11:48 PM
Seancass, Marlin makes several lever actions in pistol calibers. .32 H&R mag, .38special/.357 mag, .44mag, and .45 Colt. just to name a few

this is true, but they make them cowboy style with strait stocks, and not the perty curved stocks of the 336. thats what i really want.

Ben Shepherd
September 20, 2006, 09:22 AM
Vairochana:

Felt recoil depends to a large degree on how the stock fits you individually.

I have a 30-06 that to me kicks harder than my bothers 7mm mag.

Terrill
September 20, 2006, 10:16 AM
Good looking project! I'm another that thinks the lever actions make a great "truck gun". I talked the guys at the factory into a proto-type project but I think I like your "green" better.
http://www.terrillhoffman.com/pics/marlin1.jpg
http://www.terrillhoffman.com/pics/marlin2.jpg
http://www.terrillhoffman.com/pics/marlin3.jpg

Seancass
September 20, 2006, 12:29 PM
hi-res pics Terrill? thats a really cool gun too! i really like the hide-away pockets in the stock.

Terrill
September 20, 2006, 04:01 PM
Thank you sir. You should see the look on the faces of some people when they walk into the studio and there are nothing but guns and knives laying everywhere.

CZguy
September 20, 2006, 07:07 PM
Terrill,

Do you know if a stock like that is going to be commercially available?

George Hill,

That's an interesting project. I liked the green stocks but would have preferred flat rather than glossy.

I am planning a similar project in the near future. I was going to cut the barrel and magazine down to 16.1 inches, and use a Lyman peep sight on the rear, with a Williams Firesight on the front. I wasn't going to do anything to the wood, but you have given me ideas. Good post.

Ben Shepherd
September 21, 2006, 09:28 AM
Terrill-

You make that stock for Win 94's and you have an order for a 1/2 dozen right now.

Terrill
September 21, 2006, 09:48 AM
Thanks guys. Right now there is only one but they are looking at the idea of adding it to the line (Wild Dog-USA). I think it would sell well. So I guess I can sit here with the one and only and gloat a bit.:)

Vairochana
September 21, 2006, 05:53 PM
Love that stock.
It is hard to tell from your pic- does the laser hide away too?

George Hill
October 10, 2006, 04:30 PM
The 7MM Magnum... Yeah, I know I railed against the over use of magnums for hunting. I did that after a weeks worth of selling nothing but .300 Ultra Mags to guys who I know couldnt hit water if they fell out of a boat. They are overcompensating for a lack of balistic understanding by buying guns that shoot as flat as possible for as long as possible.
I selected 7MM because of it's wide spectrum of loading possibilities. And because I got the rifle, a stainless 700 with synth stocks like I wanted, with a scope already mounted on it, with a sling, for two hundred bucks. Dude... $200. Done. If it was a 7MM-08 I would have snagged it. If it was a .30-06 I would have snagged it. Pretty much regardless of the caliber if it was bigger than .223 - I'd have snagged it.
:D
FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, MARLIN - Build a 336 in 7-30 Waters! PLEASE! HORNADY, LEVERevolution in 7-30 Waters to go with it!

Nicolai
October 12, 2006, 09:18 AM
Cowboy Assualt Rifle is way cool. Sure would be nice if Marlin would do their XTR in a shorter barrel, with ghost ring sights, and a Weaver rail.

Terrill
October 12, 2006, 10:59 AM
Vairochana, the laser and light are removable. I hope they come out with a production model soon but no telling at the moment. At least I can say "I have it!".

Vairochana
October 14, 2006, 08:51 AM
Hey Terrill, any idea how much a stock like that would go for- how about sending me one to Australia so I can advertise it for you :)

Nematocyst
October 15, 2006, 04:37 AM
how about sending me one to Australia so I can advertise it for you Here ya' go, mate. ;)

Wild Dog, Australia. (http://www.wilddog.com.au/content/default.asp)

Vairochana
October 15, 2006, 05:15 AM
that's great- now if I can just get them to send me the stock I'll be laughin':neener:

Nematocyst
October 15, 2006, 05:27 AM
:D :D :D

Based on their rapid response to email queries,
they appear to me a great bunch of folks.

Am waiting with eager anticipation for a Marlin 336 stock,
which I dream will be forthcoming...

;)

JShirley
October 15, 2006, 07:46 AM
George...

You're not allowed to talk to me anymore.

John

Bill2e
October 13, 2008, 04:06 PM
remove

Beagle-zebub
October 13, 2008, 05:05 PM
the green one is totally wicked sick.

+1! Whodathunkit?

streakr
October 13, 2008, 08:00 PM
Seancass:

The Model 94 Marlin is a straight grip stock in 32, 357, 44 and 45 calibers. The 18" carbine would work nicely.

s

gentleman987
October 13, 2008, 08:19 PM
very nice truck gun

ReadyontheRight
October 13, 2008, 08:41 PM
Wow. Thread from the dead just in time to break out the thudy thudys for deer season.:D

Nice rifle!

dukenobles
August 8, 2009, 08:10 PM
I LOVE this gun. Inspires me to attempt my own 336 "cowboy assault rifle" as soon as I can find a used 336 in Southeast Oklahoma for less than 200ish.

Ben Shepherd
August 8, 2009, 08:18 PM
Since this thread has come up as a blast from the past, figured I'd chime in again. The gun works. Had the opportunity to shoot it a while back with some of the leverevolution ammo. It'll reach out and touch someone (and quickly at that) if you do your part.

OrangePwrx9
August 8, 2009, 10:44 PM
I like it in green. Looks like John Deere green. Get rid of those white line spacers and substitute yellow, put the Deere deer logo on both sides of the buttstock and put "DEERE" in yellow 1930's script on the forearm and you'd have something every red blooded sodbuster would love to own.

Kinda surprised Marlin hasn't done a special edition like this. Both Marlin and Deere are American traditions and for many of the same reasons.

Eightball
August 8, 2009, 11:12 PM
So, this is a 2x zombie thread? 2006~2008, to now?

Ben Shepherd
August 8, 2009, 11:51 PM
Yes, because old cowboys and their guns don't die, they just turn into legends....

Nematocyst
August 9, 2009, 12:30 AM
I'm actually glad to see this one revived. This is such a cool project. Believe it or not, I've visited this thread multiple times in the last year just to review some of what was written in the past, and once to show a friend.

chauncey
August 9, 2009, 05:38 PM
Bloomburg and Feinstein found this thread, and are working on a ban, as we speak. don't you know, green rifles attract children like an ice cream truck.

I'd like levers, if I was smart enough to keep my thumb out of the way...

If you enjoyed reading about "My Cowboy Assault Rifle" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!