870 Barrel Length Question--buying a new shotty

PDA

usp_fan
September 15, 2006, 01:16 PM
I'm going to buy a shotgun shortly. I've decided on the 870 Express as the best combination of utility, price, and fit for me. I can get it with a 28" barrel or a 26" barrel locally. The 28" is $10 less. I think I prefer the shorter tube, but I'm resonably aware that I'm a novice concerning shotguns. Is one length better / worse / more / less handy?

Thanks,

--usp_fan

If you enjoyed reading about "870 Barrel Length Question--buying a new shotty" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
mattw
September 15, 2006, 01:45 PM
Get the longest barrel that you can. I got the 26" and now I wish I would've gotten the "28. Think about it... It is already a long barrel, why not have the longest? You are probably going to buy a 18" barrel later on anyway.

Dave McCracken
September 15, 2006, 09:26 PM
My current goto 870 wears a 30" tube. YMMV, but in general longer is better.

Frankenstein, my overpublicized parts 870 is wearing a 26" LC barrel. It's a little too fast for best work on clays, but nice on real birds.

In your shoes, I'd get the 28" if you're of average size or larger.

usp_fan
September 17, 2006, 08:30 PM
Thanks Dave and Mattw.

So it looks like I'm running 2 for the longer barrel. Anyone else have experience they'd like to share? Comments on length vs. handiness?

--usp_fan

SigfanUSAF
September 17, 2006, 08:34 PM
I had a 3" Express for years. 18" in the off season, 28" in season. Can't say I've never snagged the end of it on anything, or banged a tree, I'd say go 28" for sure.

_N4Z_
September 17, 2006, 09:13 PM
My 870 is the oldest arm currently in my modest inventory. It is an Express I bought at a Wal Mart in 1988. Came with a 28" vented rib which has been a superb dove and quail shooter. Within the last 5 years I went ahead and added a 20" remington rifle sight barrel for around the house duty, and target practice w/ slugs.

Works equally well with either.

If you enjoyed reading about "870 Barrel Length Question--buying a new shotty" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!