Anyone else bust clays with a "defense shotgun"?

PDA

1KPerDay
September 15, 2006, 06:31 PM
I like to shoot my Mossberg 590 (marinecote, with heat shield) at hand-thrown clays. I suppose it doesn't swing as quickly as a dedicated skeet gun but it seems to do pretty well! Plus I don't have to reload very often.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone else bust clays with a "defense shotgun"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
bakerj
September 15, 2006, 06:35 PM
Naa I use a 10/22:D

GunnySkox
September 15, 2006, 06:49 PM
It seems like it'd be an ideal way to get familiar with how an HD shottie feels and swings and shoots. Plus, fun!

~GnSx

david_the_greek
September 15, 2006, 07:17 PM
I used an M3 super90 before. I loved it, all the "old timers" and people with their dedicated skeet guns looked in awe.

Ben Shepherd
September 15, 2006, 07:21 PM
Does a Siaga count?

zoom6zoom
September 15, 2006, 07:23 PM
I started out trap shooting with a beater Mossberg 500 myself. Couldn't see spending big bucks on a trap gun right away.

RioShooter
September 15, 2006, 07:23 PM
I shoot skeet with a Mossberg Persuader; 20" barrel, cylinder bore, 7 round magazine. It's great at stations 1 and 7. Station 8 is fairly easy, too.

I haven't gotten the lead down on station 4 yet. I don't know if it's the short barrel, or just me.

I've put about 2000 rounds through it, and I feel very confident handling the gun. The gun stays next to my bed when it's not being used. Of course, in the house it's loaded with "00" buckshot and not birdshot.

ChristopherG
September 15, 2006, 07:41 PM
My son and I were out cutting firewood last Tuesday. After we filled the truck, I got out my 870 Police Mag (6-shot extended mag; 20" IC barrel with Hi-viz rifle sights; sidesaddle and buttstock ammo holders) and a box of clays.

My arms were already tired (we use a crosscut saw and maul on our firewood). After he had thrown 90 clays for me, and I had mounted that heavy beast of a shotgun near a hundred times, I could barely raise my hands to the steering wheel to drive home :rolleyes:

Still, it is great fun and a great shotgun workout. Not the ONLY training I do or would want to do with my HD gun, but one good form of training for sure.

sm
September 15, 2006, 07:56 PM
Something about 2 guys, 2 ladies all with Ithaca 37 police guns with wood stocks shooting flurries as a 4 person team.

We did it Win 1897s too.

"Ya'll sound like full auto out there"

We were. ;)

Zundfolge
September 15, 2006, 08:15 PM
At the THR Colorado get together last weekend I busted a few with my Tromix converted Saiga 12.

LeonCarr
September 15, 2006, 10:06 PM
The Sheriff's Office I worked for in West Texas has a skeet, trap and sporting clays match every year to benefit the DARE program. Every year the Game Warden for that area shows up for the match with his issue Remington 870P (20" IC I think), and gives the diehard skeet shooters a run for their money, usually breaking 20-21 out of 25 on the skeet course. Loads of fun to watch. Most of the Game Wardens in Texas are VERY proficient with their weapons (Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun).

Just my .02,
LeonCarr

PJR
September 15, 2006, 10:38 PM
Absolutely. I shot skeet last Wednesday with my 14" Remington 870 Police. Got everyone's attention. Very loud gun.

Then I switched to my Perazzi.:D

Dave McCracken
September 15, 2006, 10:57 PM
Back when the State of Maryland paid me to shoot up their ammo and to teach others to do likewise, we instructors often had lunch time sessions with riot guns and birdshot loads over an antique trap machine and White Flyers. Lots of fun and lots of clays shot to flinders.

Good idea for practice with your HD tool. If you can hit a 4" disc moving at 50 MPH on an complex vector, you can hit slower, larger, more dangerous targets too.

FYI, 4" also happens to be the width of the widest part of the human CNS.

Have fun, get proficient, be safe.....

Hoser
September 15, 2006, 11:02 PM
I shoot 5-Stand and skeet with my 11 round Benelli sometimes. I get more than a few stares and grumbles from the old timers. Thats ok, keeps them young.

A 25 round quail walk in under a minute is great fun. Stoke it up and just keep shooting and loading.

9mmMike
September 16, 2006, 12:09 AM
I used to do this all the time with my 20" rifle-sighted 870's. I'd bring a few loaners in the same configuration and we'd bust "hand-tossed" at the free range. Haven't done this since I started shooting SC with my '56 Wingmaster.
I think that maybe I'll try to get out this weekend...........

BozemanMT
September 16, 2006, 08:36 AM
Sometimes
Sometimes I think about those quail flurry games (where they throw up like 25 birds as fast as they can and you are in a team and shoot them all) and think it would be fun with the 9 round Benelli M2

Although sometimes I think i can reload faster on my SxS. (I know, practice practice)

I guess part of it is that all the games are limited ot one (trap) or two in the gun, never more than that, so it's no advantage to use a bigger magazined gun.
but it's still fun.

Boom-stick
September 16, 2006, 08:59 AM
Used a buddies 6 shot savage at a clay meet a few weeks back.

Got some real funny looks from the old school:evil:

Not sure if it was because of the gun or the fact that I only broke about 1 clay with it:confused:

Dam thing was shooting such a wide spread anything further than about 15ft away and you could see the birds fly through the shot.

LaEscopeta
September 16, 2006, 10:59 AM
It seems like it'd be an ideal way to get familiar with how an HD shottie feels and swings and shoots. Plus, fun!Exactly. I only use my HD 870P for skeet for the above reasons. Itís not "tacticalĒ through, (I take the flash light off) so I donít get any stares from the over/under guys. One of these days Iím going to try trap, but with an 18Ē barrel I thinking that will be pretty hard.

PJR
September 16, 2006, 11:08 AM
I only use my HD 870P for skeet for the above reasons. It’s not "tactical” through, (I take the flash light off) so I don’t get any stares from the over/under guys.
Not me. I use mine with all attachments in place including the light.:D

I've had some remarks made by some of the other shooters and even asked whether my short 870 was legal. But I am a regular shooter at the club and my various eccentricities are well tolerated. ;)

sterling180
September 16, 2006, 11:12 AM
Not sure if it was because of the gun or the fact that I only broke about 1 clay with it

Next time,try bringing a Saiga 12 ,with a 3 and 5 round mags,to the clay grounds.You will certainly raise more than a few eyebrows.:) :)

Ditchtiger
September 16, 2006, 11:51 AM
My 590,IC. bore, 3 friends hand throwing at the same time, I average 7-8 clays. It's also not hard to hit from the hip with a large shot pattern. I get around 2/3's of them.- one friend throwing.

RecoilRob
September 16, 2006, 12:04 PM
Shot my first round of sporting clays with a 20" EAA Bounty Hunter II (Bakail mfg.) with external hammers. Used the only ammo I had around which was 1 1/2 oz. high brass #6 shot.

Lots of fun and, as the evening darkened, the muzzle flash became quite pronounced. Letting others shoot it allowed me to hear the difference in report vs. the 'target guns' everyone else had.

You definately get some curious looks from the regular shooters but no hostility at this club. Many wanted to give it a try and were smiling afterwards.

gaweidert
September 16, 2006, 02:24 PM
I have used my 1300 Camp Defender to shoot sporting clays. Kind of fun. Nobody seemed to mind.

Doggieman
September 18, 2006, 04:07 AM
yup, my mossy 500 8-shot will break trap really nicely. I throw them myself from a spare tire thrower and can hit two at a time about 4 times out of 5. Very surprising. Plus shooting two at a time gets you into the habit of racking the slide immediately after firing which can only help in a SHTF situation IMHO.

foghornl
September 20, 2006, 01:35 PM
I have busted a few with my Maverick 88 set up in HomeLand Security mode...18-1/2" cylinder bore barrel, but I do better smoking the clays if it is setup in Woods & Water mode...28" Modfied choke barrel.

hmmm maybe I need a 24" or 26" ImpCyl choke for powdering the little frisbees... :confused:

VeT|Us
September 20, 2006, 01:41 PM
Last time I used my shortbarreled shotgun at clays I got 18 / 25.

If you enjoyed reading about "Anyone else bust clays with a "defense shotgun"?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!