John Ross' website up now...

PDA

bogie
May 12, 2003, 02:34 PM
I checked it after Knob Creek this spring, and nothing, but it's about half up now, and pretty interesting...

www.john-ross.net (http://www.john-ross.net)

If you enjoyed reading about "John Ross' website up now..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Dave R
May 12, 2003, 03:32 PM
I liked his section on other authors. Some of those books will go on my "to read" list.

Oleg Volk
May 12, 2003, 03:50 PM
Good reading.

atek3
May 13, 2003, 04:49 AM
ross is a cool guy

Henry Bowman
May 13, 2003, 09:34 AM
On my list of favorites. :D

Jim March
May 13, 2003, 11:49 AM
Did anybody catch the link to THIS:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/novels/john_ross.htm

?

DEAR GOD I just about died laughing!

:p

Greg L
May 13, 2003, 12:16 PM
Yeah Jim I saw it. That should be the crowning moment for any writer :D .

Greg

Preacherman
May 13, 2003, 12:23 PM
BWAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA!

That has to be the most original excuse for honeymoon failure I've ever read! I'll have to remember that for my marriage counseling sessions... :D

garrettwc
May 13, 2003, 01:17 PM
Did anybody catch the link to THIS:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/novels/john_ross.htm

That is absolutely hilarious.
:D :D

I still haven't had a chance to read through the whole site yet but it is very interesting. I guess I'm going to have to check this book of his out.

Bogie, thanks for posting the link to his website.

MicroBalrog
May 13, 2003, 02:17 PM
When is it going to be made into a movie?

No idea, and maybe never. I haven’t (yet) sold the screen rights, though I have done a two-hour screen adaptation

Does anybody know more about this screen aptation thing?
And has JR ever been approached by a movie producer?

Shaggy
May 14, 2003, 12:12 AM
I still haven't had a chance to read through the whole site yet but it is very interesting. I guess I'm going to have to check this book of his out.

Ummm...Unintended Consequences is required reading for anybody who owns a firearm and gives one hoot about freedom and the 2nd Amendment. Buy that book and read it immediately!!!

garrettwc
May 14, 2003, 12:48 AM
Ummm...Unintended Consequences is required reading for anybody who owns a firearm and gives one hoot about freedom and the 2nd Amendment. Buy that book and read it immediately!!!

My impression when I began seeing the book at gun shows a few years ago and hearing comments about it was that the book was written for the tin foil hat and black helicopter crowd. The cover just seemed a little over the top to me.

After reading some of the articles on his website and finding them well thought out and interesting I decided to dig deeper.

Amazon.com has a preview feature where you can read a 5-10 page excerpt of a book before you buy it. I looked the book up today, skimmed through the excerpt and decided that this book will be definitely be ordered come payday.

CGofMP
May 14, 2003, 01:38 AM
Well, just last year I kicked down the dollars and purchased Unintended Consequences (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1888118040/them1garaanam-20/103-4021372-1351861) from Amazon.com

While I enjoyed it, Unintended Consequences is a novel that I reccommend ONLY for those mature enough to read between the lines. I do not agree with some of the morality in this book and I do think it is for mature audiences. However the historical facts are interesting and the author has some very thought provoking ideas.

What follows is the review I wrote for Amazon.com.....

Well.... this book is a pretty difficult one to rate. It is a real mixed bag from my personal perspective.

The Good:
Okay I'll admit it.. the book is fun. I am an admitted member of the Gun Culture (as defined by the author) and Unintended Consequences leans toward that segment of the population who understand firearms as something more than evil tools of criminals.

I also very much enjoyed the historical aspects of this book. The author could easily be accused for starting a new genre "contemporary-futuristic-historical fiction" hahahaha The book is set in the past, present, and future - and is made much more believable by referencing things of the past including, laws, people, personalities, and events. I found myself going to the web numerous times and looking up this or that from the book. I found most of the things noted in the book are directly historical or very close. This made it a lot more fun.

The story is done very Tom Clancyesque... that is to say, there is a gradual and in depth development of the characters using a timeline and time stamps. This allows an in depth understanding of character motivation and some rather cool fore-shadowing. Like Clancy the author also uses past historical events and on-the-money technical descriptions to add believability to his story.

The Bad:
There were a few things I did not like about this book. The first was that the ending was short and anticlamactic. After a detailed build up of the personalities involved the ending came abruptly, without the depth expected, and with a quaint little quote that did not do the rest of the book justice.

Also on the negative side of the house, the technicalities of certain reloading data will be over the heads of most readers. It was over mine for sure. I skimmed through a paragraph here an there.

The Ugly:
The reason that this book did not get 5 stars was that I was not at all thrilled with the morality of the main character. If gun-owners are to be portrayed in a positive light then why make liars out of them and add some unusual sexual proclivities to them. The details of cetain sexual encounters and or the sexual lives of the 'heroes' were present in too many places for me to highly reccommend this book. Sadly, the moral failings of the hero were a real detraction from the story.

Still - this is a 'good' book. While I'd not call it great it was entertaining and if you can get past some of the details that do not move the story along, and if you can empathize with a hero who uses women to gain political (and probably psychological) goals then this is worth a read.
http://www.memorableplaces.com/m1garand/bookimages/unintendedconsequences.jpg

---------
Unintended Consequences (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1888118040/them1garaanam-20/103-4021372-1351861) is very well worth the read, but it does have some significant downsides in my opinion.

Charles

Shaggy
May 14, 2003, 02:32 AM
Amazon.com has a preview feature where you can read a 5-10 page excerpt of a book before you buy it. I looked the book up today, skimmed through the excerpt and decided that this book will be definitely be ordered come payday.

If you really want to preview it before you buy, I have the entire book in .pdf form. I'd be happy to send it to you or anyone else. It's a couple megs of data. The .pdf was on a web site.

Edit: I can't find the website and the file is 3.78 MB.

Gray Peterson
May 14, 2003, 02:47 AM
The reason that this book did not get 5 stars was that I was not at all thrilled with the morality of the main character. If gun-owners are to be portrayed in a positive light then why make liars out of them and add some unusual sexual proclivities to them. The details of cetain sexual encounters and or the sexual lives of the 'heroes' were present in too many places for me to highly reccommend this book. Sadly, the moral failings of the hero were a real detraction from the story.

The moral failings of heros are typical in all of us. No one is perfect.

If you enjoyed reading about "John Ross' website up now..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!