Now I've bought A Savage 340

PDA

brassdog
September 16, 2006, 10:54 AM
About 2 months ago, I was taking my lunchbreak browing the local gunstore. Initially I wanted Yugo M48 but I didn't like the current selections that were available. Oh well, no big deal since I already have a turk mauser and I started heading for the door when I took a quick glance at the consignment rack. There it was, nothing spectacular but just what I was looking for. A short, light handy rifle and it was chambered for 30-30.
Now to my credit I didn't buy it right away but I did give a good inspection. The crown was clean, the rifling crisp and the bolt easy to lift and rack. I put it down and went back to work and did some online researching. Turns out to be pretty common plain jane type of rifle but everybody had something good to say about it. So, two days later I popped in to see if it was still there. Yeah, seems nobody wanted a 30-30 when they could get a .308 or something like that. Hey, no problem for me! I was looking for a handy deer rifle anyways. Now I bought it for about $230 with the weaver side mount and a Bushnell 9x power scope on it.
At home I looked at this rifle really close and I could see that it was used hard but care for too. The bluing is just about gone the rear sights missing, probably to make room for that huge scope. The stock is dinged up all over and touched up with varnish in spots.
I took it apart slowly using the Gun Digest Assembly as a guide and what a mess. There was rust on the underside and in the trigger group. So now I'm thinking what a loss and I just sprayed it down with RemLube and worked the action to make sure that eveything is coated and put it back together. Later that day I took to the range expected to have to rezero everything since I took the scope off during cleaning. Starting out at 50 yards, I loaded some Winchester Super X's in 150gr SP. Wow! This little thing was putting out 1/2" groups without rezeroing or me really trying.
Now, what can I do about the rust? Just keep it coated? Can I replace the trigger group? I not going to worry about the stock now but I do want to keep the metal from rusting anymore. Anyone got ideas or tips?
Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "Now I've bought A Savage 340" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gdog
September 16, 2006, 01:08 PM
I just traded for a Western Field Model 712. That is the Monkey Wards store brand. Best I can figure, it is an early model Savage 340. Mine is in pretty good shape save for a few parts missing- front and rear sight and the barrel band. Looks like Numrich has everything but the barrel band nut. Any leads on where to get one of those would be appreciated. Mine is 30/30, I think they made them in other calibers. Got the mount and a Bushnell 3x9 scope on it.

6mmbrppc
September 16, 2006, 06:32 PM
Oh you guys have some nice rifles. I owned a savage 340 in 30-30 for my 1st deer rifle , what a awsome rifle killed alot of deer with that rifle , mine had the 18" barrel , just wish i could get another one to play around with.
For the rust i soak it in paper towel soaked in wd-40 then after a couple days get the 4otsteele wool and work it good
that wool will take out the rust not harming the blueing , thats what i do when you come up against rust

now for the savage i saw that boyds gunstocks has the thumbhole stock for the savage 340 and the other modles that resemble
thats why i was wanting another to have the 30-30 in a thumbhole for my boy

good luck awsome rifles

Sunray
September 16, 2006, 10:23 PM
Savage 340's in .30-30 are well known as tack drivers. Take a bit of light gun oil and 0000 steel wool to the rusting then cold blue it. No need to soak it.
If the rust is heavy, use a light touch with a fine brass wire wheel in a bench grinder. Put the safety glasses on too.

Jim K
September 16, 2006, 10:29 PM
Any of the good penetrants will kill rust, including plain old boiling water.

IMHO, you have an excellent moderate cost deer rifle. Don't fall into the trap of spending a lot of time and money trying to make it anything else. It will never be a museum piece or the jewel in anyone's collection, but if you can handle it, it will put venison on the table.

Jim

Pumpkinheaver
September 17, 2006, 11:05 PM
I have got a couple of Stevens 325s, same rifle more or less.

brassdog
September 17, 2006, 11:46 PM
Thanks to the replies. I will give the WD-40 and 0000 steel wool a shot and let you guys know how it comes out. As for spending too much money on this... Nah, not going happen since I am broke!:( But hey, I bought this rifle for working hard and not sitting on its butt.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Now I've bought A Savage 340" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!