Uberti 1858 Remington 44 Carbine

PDA

Countrygreen
September 16, 2006, 04:07 PM
This is my first C&B and I was realy suprised by it's accuracy. My problem is that, when I shoot it small pieces of the cap (or something) will fly back and hit me on the left cheek. I was thinking of getting a R&D Conversion Cylinder. Can anyone tell me if that would solve the problem?

If you enjoyed reading about "Uberti 1858 Remington 44 Carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sundance44s
September 16, 2006, 04:21 PM
Those Remmie rifles put the sparks and fire too close to your face ...have some one shoot it at dark or near dark and watch where the fire and shower of sparks go .. blinding to say the least . Kinda made me change my mind about wanting one of those . Be sure and wear eye protection when shooting it .

pohill
September 17, 2006, 01:20 AM
In R.L.Wilson's Colt book he quotes a report by a man named John Scoffern on revolving rifles: "Fire a revolving pistol at night; observe the escape of the lateral flame like the halo around the head of a saint. How would you like your arm to be in that burning halo of flame? Colt tells you his carbines need to be held with two hands. I tell you they cannot be held with two hands; the coat sleeve would be burned through presently....I tell you revolving full length arms are a failure."
Also, he quotes Amos Colt after a demonstration of a revolving shotgun: "It took me all the evening to pick the powder and pieces of lead out of my face."

J.T. Gerrity
September 17, 2006, 02:23 PM
To answer your question, yes, using a cartridge cylinder will cure the powder blast in your face! I switched to an R&D cylinder on mine years ago and have never switched back! Also, you don't hold one of these to fire like a normal rifle with one hand on the trigger and one holding the barrel; you use both hands together, one over the other, as if you were using a two-handed pistol stance. A great example of this may be seen in the pilot episode of "The Lazarus Man", which has been turned into a movie, and you should be able to rent it (what a great series that was... too bad they cut it short :( ).
J.T.

Yankee John
September 17, 2006, 07:17 PM
Yes, My Revolving Carbine also showers me with tiny bits of debris. I love it just the same!

I have been considering an R&D Conversion cylinder for it though....

John

Countrygreen
September 17, 2006, 08:54 PM
Thanks for the info. I love to shoot this gun so much that I got a '58 Remington pistol from Cabela's. I use Goex FFFg in the Uberti but it fouls the Pietta so bad that after 3 shots the cylinder wont turn. I tried some Pyrodex FFg that my Brother-in-Law had and it doesn't foul near as bad:)

Cincinnati Slim
September 18, 2006, 12:18 PM
My problem is that, when I shoot it small pieces of the cap (or something) will fly back and hit me on the left cheek. I was thinking of getting a R&D Conversion Cylinder. Can anyone tell me if that would solve the problem?

I'll tell ya what might help. Big 'ol Victorian style beard-face whisker coverage ! Then y'all just comb out the cap fragments after yer done shootin'.:D

Seriously pard, TRM or Treso nipples will help some. Smaller flash-holes mean less blow-back from the cylinder's chambers. This reduces the flying cap debris problems some. I know it don't look very "Cowboy" but a face-shield visor thingie might be a good idea when your face is that close to a powder/lead spittin' percussion cylinder. Or you can start growin' yer beard!:rolleyes:

Shoot that thing after dark sometime ifin' ya really want a fireworks show...

Later,

Cincinnati Slim

sjohns
September 18, 2006, 12:44 PM
you know...
you can always wear a Jason mask on the range, it'll keepthe sparks off yer face and the line clear...

I got a conversion cylinder for mine. It seems to shoot fairly high now.
anyone else experience that?

If you enjoyed reading about "Uberti 1858 Remington 44 Carbine" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!