Norinco 1887 LeverGun and Norinco 99 CoachGun

PDA

RJMacReady
September 17, 2006, 12:02 AM
What do you guys think of the Norinco 1887 LeverGun and Norinco 99 CoachGun?
Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Norinco 1887 LeverGun and Norinco 99 CoachGun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10MMGary
September 17, 2006, 12:11 AM
I have never even held either. I will say that if they have the same level of quality and value that my Norinco 1911A1 copy has(amazing)they will be good guns. Now that is a big "if" so,,,, well you know the rest. Good luck and let us know what you get.

SigfanUSAF
September 17, 2006, 12:19 AM
The only thing I can say is when my dad was reviewing firearms for Gunsmithing Guns of the New West, they were the ONLY ones who would NOT send guns to test.

oletymer
September 17, 2006, 11:10 AM
You can get much better coach guns from other manufacturers, but the lever gun does not give you much choice if you want one.

Onmilo
September 17, 2006, 12:28 PM
SigfanUSAF, David Chicoine is your dad?
Tell him thank you from me.
That book was a big help in repairing an 1877 Colt revolver when I couldn't figure it out my own self.

Texfire
September 17, 2006, 03:15 PM
I've got a Norinco 97, so when I started looking for a double I also looked at Norinco. I just couldn't get around how ugly the double safety arrangement looked to me though. The ones I looked at had the tang safety and a second crossbolt style safety at the butt of the barrels. I also looked at the '87, and I have heard from some who are happy with thiers, but decided I'd wait until I could get a Coyote Cap slicked up '87 at a later date. His 1887s are the same ones that Norinco is importing, they made them at his request, but he slicks his up after getting them and adds a way to load two shells at a time for CAS.

I ended up getting a deluxe Stoeger internal hammer double, for not too much more than a Norinco. A really nice double with gorgeous coloring and finish, the automatic tang safety annoys me and I was going to get it removed, but ended up training myself to push it forward anytime I shouldered the arm and haven't done anything with it so far. I'll probably get the chambers honed and the break open smoothed at a future date, but it's a refreshing change from the '97.

Tex

ps- Coyote Cap's website. http://www.coyotecap.com/index1.htm

SigfanUSAF
September 17, 2006, 04:17 PM
Onmilo, I'd be happy to, glad he could help!

Dave Rishar
September 17, 2006, 04:45 PM
I picked up one of the Norinco SxS's years ago when Big 5 had them on sale.

Lots of tooling marks on non-critical surfaces. The innards benefited from some polishing. Mine seems to rust very easily -- not sure if it's the finish or the steel, but it needs to be cleaned and inspected a bit more frequently than my other firearms. It has always gone BANG whenever I pulled the trigger.

It works well enough, I guess.

Tom C.
September 18, 2006, 10:50 AM
When the ChiCom Model 97s started coming in, they weren't very good. Rough and inconsistent heat treatment of small parts. They have gone through something like 4 "generations" and I understand they are pretty good now.
The Model 87 looks very interesting, but they are just starting to arrive. I have only seen a couple at cowboy matches so far. The one I saw last month didn't seem to eject consistently. When I spoke to a cowboy gunsmith, he said to wait at least a year for them to get their production act together.

If you enjoyed reading about "Norinco 1887 LeverGun and Norinco 99 CoachGun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!