WalMart Ruger Mini 14

PDA

The Burnside Ninja
September 17, 2006, 03:06 PM
So, I saw a ruger mini-14 at walmart today and noticed that it had a $475 price tag on it. Why was it so low compared to most gunshops? It should be the same quality as other ruger mini-14s... right?

If you enjoyed reading about "WalMart Ruger Mini 14" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
SigfanUSAF
September 17, 2006, 03:12 PM
I've bought and sold dozens of 870s I bought at Walmart. They buy in such volume they can easily afford to sell firearms cheaply. Its cheaper there than a lot of wholesalers that sell them to dealers for. Buy it:D

Geno
September 17, 2006, 03:15 PM
I bought a NIB Weather Vanguard synthetic at WalMart 2 years ago for $250.00 + sales tax. These usually sell for $450.00

Doc2005

Lone_Gunman
September 17, 2006, 03:19 PM
I have heard that Wal Mart buys guns that meet spec but are not quite as good as the ones that go to other distributors. This is just hearsay though, and might or might not be true. Wal Mart will not comfirm or deny.

BergaminoCAV
They ushaly sell for around 700-800 bucks, I just got my second one for 420, its brand spankin new, not a shot fired, It came with a Bushnell Scope, the stock mag, two 20 round mags, 4 boxs of Hordnady TAP, and a Muzzle break I gotta put on!!! I love Mini-14s, definatly pick one up if the price is that low, I now have two mini 14s and one mini 30!!

heres the new one

http://i9.tinypic.com/4bodmyq.jpg

The Burnside Ninja
thanks guys. so is the ruger mini-14 worth having as my only affordable "defensive" rifle?

1911JMB
September 17, 2006, 03:22 PM
"Why was it so low compared to most gunshops?"

When they aren't clearing out chinas crap, they are forcing american companys to sell products for very low prices, resulting in less pay for workers and lots of damage to our economy. Not that I care about Ruger, seeing as they won't sell bigger magazines to civilians, but its still not good to shop at wallmart. My advise to everyone is to buy used guns from a gun shop if you are on a budget.

The Burnside Ninja
September 17, 2006, 03:27 PM
I would consider that idea, however, when it comes to having a QUALITY weapon for defense purposes (especially if it's my fiancees defense) I'd rather buy a good, new gun than a used shotty rifle.

karlsgunbunker
September 17, 2006, 03:59 PM
Volume Purchasing.

Frog48
September 17, 2006, 04:09 PM

When they aren't clearing out chinas crap, they are forcing american companys to sell products for very low prices...

Nobody is FORCING American manufacturers to sell to Walmart. The manufacturers are free to choose to NOT SELL to Walmart. Walmart isnt holding a gun to anybody's head (no pun intended).

I have heard that Wal Mart buys guns that meet spec but are not quite as good as the ones that go to other distributors. This is just hearsay though, and might or might not be true.

Not true, the guns sold at Walmart are exactly the same as any others of the same model. The only reason Wallyworld sells them so cheap is because they're able to buy is such huge quantities that the manufacturers are able to sell at significant discounts.

craig
September 17, 2006, 04:28 PM
i wish my wal mart had them for that price.

i wish my wal mart had them.:(

dragongoddess
September 17, 2006, 04:31 PM
Ask for their gun order book. You can order one if you want too.

craig
September 17, 2006, 04:39 PM
dragongoddess... thanks. i forgot about being able to do that.:)

Dr_2_B
September 17, 2006, 05:05 PM
Okay, then, I own one AR15 and three AK47's. Why should I look at getting a mini 14? I'm asking sincerely. What will it do for me that the others are not. One thought would be a ranch version with the scope stuck out closer to the front sight. I suppose an M1 Garand should be higher on my list of priorities. Whadya think?

Geronimo45
September 17, 2006, 05:13 PM
Minis are cheaper on average than an AR, some think they look better, they're legal in some jurisdictions where 'assault rifles' are verboten.
What's more, the A-Team used 'em (well, the full auto model).

statelineblues
September 17, 2006, 05:20 PM
I had a Mini-30 (7.62 X 39) and really liked it - accurate and would feed any ammo I put in the mag ( but it did better with the Winchester than anything else). I say if you want it, buy it.:D

Huddog
September 17, 2006, 05:25 PM
If I didn't have a rifle and was in need of one and had the money, I'd buy it with the understanding that the money you put toward the Mini-14 is gone and cannot be saved toward an AR or M4 except as a trade. My only problem is I don't shop at WalMart for personal reasons.

Hk91 Fan
September 17, 2006, 05:48 PM

When they aren't clearing out chinas crap, they are forcing american companys to sell products for very low prices...

Nobody is FORCING American manufacturers to sell to Walmart. The manufacturers are free to choose to NOT SELL to Walmart. Walmart isnt holding a gun to anybody's head (no pun intended).

While this statement is absolutely accurate, it does not necessarily paint the entire picture, nor does it negate the previous sentiment.

It is true that Walmart does not force manufacturers to sell to them. Walmart offers manufacturers the opportunity to increase their market penetration exponentially and offers to assume all marketing costs/responsibilities for a set price. Manufacturers come to depend soley on Walmart, and the pressure begins. This, of course, is totally independant of any pressures regarding the external price environment.

As Americans we should all remember how Craftsman Tools, for example, was born.

thanks guys. so is the ruger mini-14 worth having as my only affordable "defensive" rifle?

I think that the Mini is a fine little rifle. It is not the end-all-be-all of rifles, but it is a decent rifle that I would trust my life to (assuming 20's or PMI 30's). I have never had a malfuntion not related to crappy 30 round mags.

Heavy Metal Hero
September 17, 2006, 05:51 PM
I heard they were great but they can't use Wolf Ammo due to their picky firing pins. That would never stop me from owning one though.

1911JMB
September 17, 2006, 06:05 PM
<Nobody is FORCING American manufacturers to sell to Walmart. The manufacturers are free to choose to NOT SELL to Walmart. Walmart isnt holding a gun to anybody's head (no pun intended).>

Thats only half the point, and probably a lot less actually. The bulk of their merchandice comes from china. They sell chinese crap (and yes american products) for so little that it puts local buisnesses out of buisness. That also of course sends billions to china that could have stayed here. They pay their workers next to nothing while the waltons themselves make billions. Compare that to costco, or even better yet supporting local buisnesses. I live in michigan, and its because of apathetic choices people make like shopping at wallmart that my state is economicaly in the toilet.

Jackal
September 17, 2006, 06:10 PM
I do not buy rifles from Wal Mart. I choose to spend the extra $25.00 and support local gun dealers.

f4t9r
September 17, 2006, 06:12 PM
I wish they still had guns here , recently cleaned them out of the 3 locations that were close to home. Guy in sporting goods said they took them out of 1000 stores this year

Manedwolf
September 17, 2006, 06:12 PM
I have heard that Wal Mart buys guns that meet spec but are not quite as good as the ones that go to other distributors. This is just hearsay though, and might or might not be true.

Not true, the guns sold at Walmart are exactly the same as any others of the same model. The only reason Wallyworld sells them so cheap is because they're able to buy is such huge quantities that the manufacturers are able to sell at significant discounts.

That's supposedly true for guns, yes. The idea came about because that IS what they do for other branded products.

Snapper Mowers told them "no" when they said that they wanted to sell a variety of made-in-China sheetmetal mowers with the Snapper name. Snappers are American-made, expensive, but of high quality.

If they did that with guns, they'd be Remington-branded or Ruger-branded Norincos, which isn't possible due to the ban on new Chinese-made weapon imports.

Seeing as how Norinco's been selling blatant ripoffs of American-as-apple-pie shotguns, that's one ban I really can't say as I mind.

The Burnside Ninja
September 17, 2006, 07:17 PM
thanks for the answers, everyone.

Lone_Gunman
September 17, 2006, 08:14 PM

Why do you say not true? Are you just guessing? Many other people say otherwise.

I would like to know the answer for sure one way or another.

BergaminoCAV
September 17, 2006, 08:50 PM
haha my walmart doesnt sell guns. I would definatly buy it, it takes every kind of ammo, they have never failed me once, and they look really good. I have alot of fun with both the Mini 14s and 30s I own, good for hunting, self defense in the woods or around the property, and fun just to shoot at watermelons or whatever and for that price, beleive me you cant go wrong!!!

nipprdog
September 17, 2006, 09:04 PM
They ushaly sell for around 700-800 bucks]

:rolleyes:

Euclidean
September 17, 2006, 09:06 PM
Iv'e seen them for $750 at gun shows, so in some areas that might be the off the shelf price. Then again I've also seen $600 WASR 10's at gun shows.

craig
September 17, 2006, 09:20 PM
all the local shops were closed today, so i bought my wife a wally world mini 14.

$540.00, but she likes it.:D

ScottsGT
September 17, 2006, 09:32 PM
Saw one today at Wally World priced at or around $550.00 I did not know that they sold for so much considering the negativity towards their accuracy.

ceetee
September 17, 2006, 09:35 PM
I do not buy rifles from Wal Mart. I choose to spend the extra $25.00 and support local gun dealers.

Wow... If I could find a local dealer that sold guns for $25.00 over Wally World prices, I'd buy all my stuff there, too! I guess it's just too bad that the closest gunshops to my house sell their guns at 125% and 150% (respectively) of MSRP...

mrmeval
September 17, 2006, 10:12 PM
Blatant ripoff?

You mean like Beretta swiping from Colt who swiped from High Standard?

As to the Norinco lever action shotgun the patent has expired and they are free to make them. If Winchester had got on the CAS bandwagon and made them at even twice that price I'd be happy but since they have not Norinco will get the money. It's a well build gun and I'd not mind having it and some 12ga FH rounds for it.

Pumpkinheaver
September 17, 2006, 10:51 PM
I don't as a rule buy my firearms from wally world but last year just before christmas I was in buying a pair of gloves and looked at the gunrack. They had a Remington model 700 BDl SS on clearance for $300. I figured for that price I could buy it and if it didn't shoot I could at least get my money back. After some trigger work and load development it is shooting .400" groups at 100 yards. The other rifle I bought from them was a savage 112FV it shot .500" groups. If these are seconds then I want more of them!!! I no longer have the savage but the Remington will be used for deer hunting this fall.

orionengnr
September 17, 2006, 10:57 PM
and all of this relates to Mini 14s...ummm, how?

If you enjoyed reading about "WalMart Ruger Mini 14" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!