Do automatic rifles just use gasoline to fire?

PDA

AsianDragonPower
September 17, 2006, 07:14 PM
?????????????

If you enjoyed reading about "Do automatic rifles just use gasoline to fire?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rection47
September 17, 2006, 07:15 PM
eh.... what?

AsianDragonPower
September 17, 2006, 07:16 PM
you know how assault rifles are gas operated, i was wondering do they use gunpowder or just gasoline? or both?

Brass Fetcher
September 17, 2006, 07:18 PM
'Gas operated' refers to the gas that comes from the burning powder. That is not gasoline.

TexasRifleman
September 17, 2006, 07:18 PM
Yeah but you have to use high octane. If you use the cheap stuff you'll gum up the gas port.
I've heard the AK's are real bad about this, but it never happens to ARs :evil: :scrutiny:

AsianDragonPower
September 17, 2006, 07:20 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAH OOOOO:uhoh: @ JE223:banghead:

ooooooooooooooooooooooohhh iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

nooooooooooooooooooooooow iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii get iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll i alwasy thought gas operated meant it had gasoline in the bullets, silly me:p

thanks for enlightening me

JasonMD85
September 17, 2006, 08:08 PM
I guess you could always look back on the question and say "Atleast I asked first instead of dumping premium into my gas chamber." That could have ended a little rough..:p

R.W.Dale
September 17, 2006, 08:11 PM
Just make certian to read the owners manual and use the proper octane rating for the intended target .

BIGJACK
September 17, 2006, 08:11 PM
BY ALL MEANS US THE HIGH OCTANE STUFF! BEWARE OF ADDITIVES ALSO AS THEY TEND TO GUM UP THE PORTS AN SLIDE. tHEY ALOS WORK WELL WITH ETHANOL.:neener:
:banghead:

EvisceratorSrB
September 17, 2006, 08:25 PM
LOL! That was good. But it's ok we all learn some time.

When the primer is hit, it causes the powder in the cartridge to burn, not explode, but burn really really quickly. The expanding gas in self loading rifles cycles through a gas valve, pushing a gas piston, which in turn pushes a gas piston extension. The gas piston extension literally pushes the bolt back to reset the trigger and load a new round into the chamber on its stroke back.

On bolt actions, the expanding gas is not used at all. You load the internal mag (usually a bolt action rifle will have one) with cartridges, and push the bolt forward and turn the bolt handle down. This chambers a cartridge, and the rifle is ready to fire. Once the round is fired, you manually pull up on the bolt handle and pull back to extract the spent shell case, and push forward again to load a new round into the chamber.

There are other actions in firearms, but these are the two that are in my opinion the most popular. Does this help?

Cacique500
September 17, 2006, 08:28 PM
Who wants to bet that'll start showing up in a users manual in the near future? :scrutiny:

HorseSoldier
September 17, 2006, 08:32 PM
Yeah but you have to use high octane. If you use the cheap stuff you'll gum up the gas port.
I've heard the AK's are real bad about this, but it never happens to ARs

It's because AK's are designed to run on that crappy Russian 76 octane gas. :)

Myself
September 17, 2006, 09:02 PM
If you want to see a real gas operated item check this link.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976776281.htm

Dr.Rob
September 17, 2006, 09:11 PM
While there are 'no stupid questions' there are a number of silly responses, and I'm closing this.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do automatic rifles just use gasoline to fire?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!