Found Gun, actually re-found. Stoeger 16ga SxS, Info Please

PDA

TexasRifleman
September 17, 2006, 07:40 PM
Visit to my fathers house this weekend and he's been cleaning up some things from his mothers estate (my grandmother). Besides a little handgun I posted about in the autoloader forum, I re-found a Side by Side I had been told was long gone.

This gun was my great-grandfathers favorite. He loved his dogs and his quail hunting. I was not old enough to ever hunt with him, and my father saw a quail once in a book, so there was no hunting with my dad at all.

I was loaned this gun by my great grandfather one fall when I was 14 years old and I killed MANY DOVE that year. I loved the gun. I cleaned it and returned it, and it was never seen (by me) again. My great grandfather passed away and although I looked for the thing, I was told it was gone.

Fast forward to this weekend when I'm telling the story of how much I'd love to have that gun, when my dad goes into a closet and comes back saying "Is this what you mean?". Could have knocked me over right there.

So, now that I see it again after 24 years, I finally get to see what it was. When I was 14 all I knew is it was a 16gauge and beautiful.

Any info on these things would be appreciated, and a value if you know one, not that this sucker will EVER leave my hands again. In fact I'll probably want to be buried with it, though my 11 year old son may have a complaint about it by then.

I'm particularly concerned about the broken stock in photo 3. This was broken when I used the gun all those years ago, but I wasn't smart enough to worry about it. I'm absolutely GONNA shoot it, but should I replace the stock?

The gun is marked "Stoeger Arms Corporation New York, Made in Spain" and in another place with "Zephyr Upland King" and its' in 16 gauge.

Thanks for any info!

http://homepage.mac.com/jayc67/zephyr1.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/jayc67/zephyr2.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/jayc67/zephyr3.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Found Gun, actually re-found. Stoeger 16ga SxS, Info Please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jody Johnson
September 17, 2006, 09:34 PM
According to my 1958 Stoeger Shooter's Bible...your Upland King was offered in 12, 16, 20 and .410 ga.

The retail price was $218.00. For comparison, in the same edition, the field gr Win. m21 started at $425.00, and the Fox B-ST was "only" $95.00.

There were four Zephyr models listed;Woodlander, Uplander, Upland King and a single barrel trap, the "Vandalia". Yours was the most expensive of the line, per Stoeger.

It is described as being a true side lock, Purdy-type extension rib, selective-auto ejectors, single trigger and fully engraved.

It was apparently know as the model 4E previously.

Oh...they also offered a dbl bbl and single bbl 10 bore for goose hunters!

Hope this helps a little...

Dave McCracken
September 17, 2006, 10:26 PM
Spanish guns are a real can of worms. While some are superb examples of gun making and very good shotguns, more are problematic. Parts are a cruel joke and service more so.

Sidelocks have a weak point. The four "Horns" that comprise the forwardmost part of the stock are quite thin They often break, This is what happened to yours.

OTOH, someone like Turnbull or Galazan could piece out that stock and return it to near new. Not cheap, but this was your ancestor's pride and joy and well worth a bit of restoration. Wenig might also.

My guess is it handles like the fine game gun it's a copy of. IOW, very well. I wager the usual flagon of mead it's a great dove gun.IMO, definitely worth fixing and keeping.

Now, place your hand on The Holy Book of your choice, raise your other hand and swear by your personal Diety you'll never hacksaw those barrels for CAS or whatever.....

TexasRifleman
September 17, 2006, 10:40 PM
Now, place your hand on The Holy Book of your choice, raise your other hand and swear by your personal Diety you'll never hacksaw those barrels for CAS or whatever.....

Thanks for the info!

And there's no worry about hacksaws, I have a feeling there would be someone waiting for me at the Pearly Gates I could never look in the eye.

somoss
September 17, 2006, 10:45 PM
and beautiful story very nice

If you enjoyed reading about "Found Gun, actually re-found. Stoeger 16ga SxS, Info Please" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!