Big Guy CCW Holster?

PDA

History Prof
September 17, 2006, 07:12 PM
I haven't taken the class yet, but since I have been planning, I realized that I may have a problem with my size. I'm a big dude. If I carry IWB front, first the butt of the gun will stick out because my belly does. Second, when I sit - OUCH. IWB back or sides might not be too bad, but on the sides, a bit of the same problem. When a big person sits, it all spreads. Anyone have any suggestions? TIA

ETA: Forgot to mention - I don't wear a belt, I wear suspenders (my kidney stone MD told me to avoid belts. THAT may become a problem.

If you enjoyed reading about "Big Guy CCW Holster?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
carnaby
September 17, 2006, 07:59 PM
Without a stiff belt, you're probably stuck with a light gun (kel-tec or bersa etc), smartcarry, or a shoulder rig. I don't see any alternative.

VWTim
September 18, 2006, 12:08 AM
Well if you wear a stiff gun belt with the suspenders you don't need to sinch it tight. And the belt will support a holster good. You can try IWB at ~4:00, or perhaps an OWB in a similar position.

History Prof
September 18, 2006, 12:42 AM
Well, I suppose a loose belt with those suspenders to hook to the belt...

MountainBear
September 18, 2006, 01:33 AM
Pocket carry with a small pocket auto or snub nose revolver. You could also ankle carry as most of us (yes, I'm not small either) wear loose fit jeans. As for summer, pocket or shoulder rig might be your only options...

saltysquid
September 18, 2006, 01:46 AM
Sounds like me and I rarely use a belt and sometimes use suspenders so I like an iwb clip holster. I like the Don Hume 715-M a lot and it rides low enought that the butt doesn't really stick out even with my big belly. I usually carry a pt-145 and SA XD45, not sure what you are carrying ofr if this will fit your bill.

http://www.donhume.com/Products/ProductsPage.cfm?ProductID=35

tegemu
September 18, 2006, 01:23 PM
I suggest a Brommeland www.brommelandgunleather.com Max Con V and a pair of Perry Suspenders www.perrysuspenders.com

History Prof
September 20, 2006, 11:59 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I found a retailer that sells perry suspenders about 3 blocks from my house. Now to find a stiff belt and an appropriate holster for which ever of my HGs I will carry. Now I just gotta wait until Nov. for the CCW course!

Bogart
September 22, 2006, 01:23 AM
Im 6"1" 280 lbs around a 40" waist I ware a The Wilderness (http://thewilderness.com/catalog/default.php/cPath/3?osCsid=b1ee27b34f0a5939758bdf446e1d4bbd) Intsructor 5 stich belt & use a Comp-Tac (http://www.comp-tac.com/) C-T.A.C holdster with a Para Dual Stack 1911, or a Sig 220 without issues :D

bender
September 22, 2006, 05:37 PM
first a "skinny guy" thread, then a "big guy" thread...
:)

RustyShackelford
September 23, 2006, 01:00 AM
I'm a COS(Customer of Size, Southwest airlines term for larger pasengers, ;) ) too and I'd say if you want to carry concealed look into a well made shoulder rig. It won't put any pressure on your lower back and you can carry it with spare mags/speedloaders. I used a great shoulder holster from Aker for my Beretta 96D pistol. The new Galco Miami Classic 2 is nice also, ;) .

www.deltaforce.com www.usgalco.com www.bianchi-intl.com

Rusty

Clipper
September 23, 2006, 08:34 AM
I'm 6'2" @ 350#. I find that the most convenient way for me to carry is to pocket a Kel-Tec .380 in a DeSantis pocket holster in summer, and SOB (around 4:00-4:30) my Taurus PT-145 in winter. Sportsman's guide has a nice, well made OWB SOB holster for $30.00 that works very well for me.

If you enjoyed reading about "Big Guy CCW Holster?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!