Do you close one eye to aim your pistol?

PDA

Headless
September 17, 2006, 09:18 PM
Well guys, I've been fighting with my S&W 659 for months, quite unhappy with my ability to hit anything with it. Today i took ~500 rounds out to the range with me and decided to really work on it and figure out where i was going wrong with aiming. Turns out, once i stopped closing one eye and left both eyes open, i was able to aim perfectly (14/14 in the 8" target @ 10yards) whereas i was totally inconsistent previous and tended to aim low all the time. I'm wondering if i was doing 'the wrong thing' by closing one eye.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you close one eye to aim your pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
RustyFN
September 17, 2006, 09:31 PM
I did the same think thinking it would help my dominant eye focus better.:banghead: I was shooting in a pistol league. After a few weeks I tried shooting with both eyes open and I started scoring a lot higher.
Rusty

Standing Wolf
September 17, 2006, 09:37 PM
You left out the third choice: close both eyes.

kludge
September 17, 2006, 09:44 PM
I was taught long ago (NRA/4H Shooting Sports) to target shoot with both eyes open (rifle and pistol). I can close one eye and aim, but I don't remember this ever changing the point of impact. If I'm 'point' shooting I have to have both eyes open -- it's just the way your eyes work.

Then there's the "front sight" crowd. I've tried this on occasion, but this absolutely ruins my ability to shoot with both eyes open, and in my mind focusing on the front sight with one eye closed is not a good "tactical" thing to do. I've quit trying. Some say it helps accuracy/group size, but I haven't seen it (no pun intended).

Kor
September 17, 2006, 11:17 PM
1) Closing one eye will slightly throw off the vision in the other eye - this is why my first visit to the optometrist(@ 8 yrs old) took over 1-1/2 hours. He gave me the little paddle to cover my eye with, but I ALSO closed the eye I was covering(:o ), so the indicated prescription he figured out for each eye still looked wrong to me when I looked through the clicky-lenses gadget with both eyes open.

2)To help yourself overcome the "double vision sight picture" you may initially notice with both eyes open, put a small piece of Scotch tape on the lens of your shooting glasses over your non-dominant eye. This removes the "sight picture" seen by your non-dominant eye, leaving visible only the correct sight picture seen by your dominant eye. Do this in dry-fire practice at home for 15-30 minutes every night, for a month - eventually, you will get yourself so grooved-in physically and mentally that you will see that correct sight picture almost without conscious effort, while being able to "automatically" ignore that "non-dominant sight picture."

johnny blaze
September 17, 2006, 11:25 PM
When I was younger, I used to close one eye.
I noticed that after awhile I could not see very well. And my closed eye would feel really strange.
An older gentleman told me to keep both eyes open. That is what I did.
I have been keeping both eyes open for years now, and it just feels natural.
The shot patterns are much, much better.
WORKS FOR ME

Punkermonkey
September 17, 2006, 11:32 PM
Unfortunately I have to close my left eye. Being that I am right handed and left eye dominant, It makes it very difficult to shoot with both eyes open. I can do it, but I don't shoot as well.

jlh26oo
September 18, 2006, 12:02 AM
Once you get used to it, binocular vision provides more depth clues. Though some would argue target shooting is 2d not 3d. It's close, but I think it helps.

Nematocyst
September 18, 2006, 12:27 AM
I, too, am a right handed shooter that is left eye dominant.

That makes shooting my handguns more difficult.

Yet, as I learned on THR a year ago, there is a ... "zen" to shooting with both eyes open. It takes practice to be able to resolve that weird double image that results when shooting with both eyes open, but it can be done. Lots of dryfire practice helps. One gets used to which image (of the two) is the right one.

Dang, I'd rather do most anything with both eyes open, including shooting a handgun when my life is at stake.

Nem

psychophipps
September 18, 2006, 12:56 AM
I close my non-domininant eye for a moment and then I'm fine.

Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )

Nematocyst
September 18, 2006, 01:01 AM
I close my non-dominant eye for a moment and then I'm fine.That technique helps me learn which image is "real".

Justaman
September 18, 2006, 01:15 AM
I face the other direction while using a mirror to aim through the Iron sights. Kind of like in those old parlor trick shots.

This give you an extra cool factor when facing down violent felons.

:rolleyes:

cloudedice
September 18, 2006, 01:15 AM
+1 psychophipps

possum
September 18, 2006, 01:26 AM
I have found that either way i shoot my xd i do just fine, but i personally have adopted the two eye open method and do just fine. i practice this way so if the time comes in the real world i will go right to it and see my target but at the same time be able to see the objects around the target, you have much better field of view when doing the two eye open method.

MT GUNNY
September 18, 2006, 03:13 PM
Snapcaps are a great tool not only do they teach trigger contol, after a while
when shooting your mussle memory will take over and you lookright through
your sights. after my first competition shoot I couldnt remember one time i looked at the sights, thus normal vision with both eyes open

10-Ring
September 18, 2006, 08:53 PM
How about (C) - close both eyes? :evil:

Seriously, I was taught to keep both eyes open so that is what I do.

OpFlash
September 18, 2006, 09:13 PM
I use both eyes open typically, but sometimes the environment makes for confusing double images and I have to revert to one eye. Imagine multiple white targets downrange and now you have one halfway superimposed over the other, very distracting.

Screehopper
September 19, 2006, 01:31 AM
Right handed, left eye dominate (annoying). I tried forcing myself to use the right eye as the dominate eye, but it doesn't work. Both eyes open. Obviously I can't close my right eye or else the target would shift.

For rifle I have no issues using my right eye w/iron sights or scope.

Go figure.

Reyn
September 19, 2006, 09:11 AM
Im right handed left eye dominant. My right eye has slightly better vision though. If im shooting for groups which i do out to 60yds i will either close my left eye or put tape over my left eye lens. For 15yds and under workin on speed and target transition i use both eyes open with my left eye being dominant. I generally will start with both eyes first because im not as good if my right eye gets used to shooting first.Its a tug of war with my dominant eye.

dillonuser
September 19, 2006, 04:17 PM
I selected "close one eye" because I only have one,thanks to some dummy driving a car...

The above driver probably did the following:

You left out the third choice: close both eyes.

mp510
September 19, 2006, 04:53 PM
I can't shoot a rifle with both eyes open regardless of how hard I try, unless it uses a dot sight. Handguns are another matter.

Jack19
September 19, 2006, 05:20 PM
I haven't read all of the thread, and I'm sure others have commented similarly...but keep both eyes open. Closing one eye limits your field of view.

You need two eyes to look for bad guys.

Geno
September 19, 2006, 05:37 PM
Point shooting: both eyes open

Doc2005

highlander 5
September 19, 2006, 05:59 PM
I keep both opened but I tend to be monocular for shooting binocular for distance I don't find it that difficult to shoot this way in fact have tried closing off eye and find it awkward.
Was told once by someone much wiser than I most people tend to be Left or Right eye dominant they just don't realize it
BTW I've had 5 eye surgeries 2 for cataracts at 5 yrs old 1 detached retina and 2 to repair the damage from the first 2
first surgeries were back in the 50' they didn't have the neat painless methods they have now Yeah I know i've been thru the mill

Jeff Timm
September 19, 2006, 06:38 PM
I have an astigmatism of +3. It helps.

Geoff
Who hits what he aims at, usually. :D

torpid
September 19, 2006, 06:48 PM
I use my third eye to visualize and become the shot itself, therefore no shot is needed, as the shot has happened before it was even begun...

:)

gandog56
September 19, 2006, 06:58 PM
If I'm using the iron sights, I close one eye. It just seems more natural to me. If I'm using my Crimson Trace laser Grips I have on three of my pistols, I leave both eyes open.

hnk45acp
September 19, 2006, 07:41 PM
Shoot with both eyes open for the above reasons.
Plus, when you are in a stress situation, your body's natural reaction is to open both eyes to increase peripheral vision. This happens so you can see threats. Shooting w/ both eyes open allows you to go with you body's natural reaction instead of fighting it

S&Wfan
September 19, 2006, 09:26 PM
Learn to shoot with both eyes open.

Then, later you'll learn you are shooting better when you start noticing that you are seeing the muzzle flash with every round . . . meaning you didn't flinch and close your eyes when the gun is going off.

Until both eyes are always open, and until you are also "seeing" each muzzle flash without blinking, you'll not be the fine shooter that you are capable of becoming!

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/246/246167/folders/183771/19266441.JPG

REMEMBER . . . NO FLINCH . . . AND NO BLINKING!

greener
September 19, 2006, 10:18 PM
This is a long read on vision and shooting, but it is pretty good. Basically, it's whatever works with the eyes, but closing one eye will cause the pupil of the open eye to dialate, reducing focus. You are probably better off shooting with both eyes open, even if you need an occluder to keep focused. Worth wading through.

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html#focused

EddieCoyle
September 19, 2006, 10:44 PM
I keep both eyes open. I'm right eye dominant, but I shoot lefty. I shoot lefty not by choice (I used to shoot righty) but because of an injury that left me unable to shoot a handgun with my right hand.

When I shoot a handgun, I have to turn my head slightly to the left to put my right eye in line with the sights. I found that I shoot best with a modified Weaver stance, with my elbows unlocked, and the gun and my head held high. It looks funny but it works for me.

joneb
September 21, 2006, 01:19 AM
I'm right handed and left eye dominate :cuss: but after years of shooting with both eyes open my right eyeball is always in the sights :) I started out with a short squint of the left eye and over time I retrained my eyeballs when shooting :D

psychophipps
September 21, 2006, 03:49 AM
Just a little side note...

Please tell me you had the camera on a stand of some sort, S&Wfan. I realise that I'm totally being a complete dink here and probably insulting your intelligence but I have some friends who aren't the sharpest tools in the shed after they have a few beers in them.

Your picture just gave me a mental picture of you pointing your loaded pistol at someone's head with your finger in the trigger as they took that picture.

If not, I apologize. :o If so, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!? :fire:
Mark(psycho)Phipps( HAHAHA! )

RustyFN
September 21, 2006, 05:16 PM
I use my third eye to visualize and become the shot itself, therefore no shot is needed, as the shot has happened before it was even begun...
The only problem is those third eye shots can be a little messy.:D I was surprised to see how many right hand, left eye dominant people there are here, I didn't think it was that common. I am also and my problem is that I can't focus the sight with my right eye do to vision problems. I am shooting in a 22 pistol league with a red dot scope. If I shoot with either eye open and the other one closed I shoot in the high 50's low 60's out of 100. With both eyes open I can shoot in the high 80's. Even with both eyes open I am using my left eye more.

Impala
September 21, 2006, 05:36 PM
I have always closed one eye to aim, the way my father originally taught me when I was 12, I see a lot of people keep both eyes open, It's more of a force of habit for me to close one which always pisses off my ex marine friend who I think was taught to keep both open.

cracked junior
September 21, 2006, 08:36 PM
i have a question. i am right hand, left eye dominant. i know that by the doing the triangle finger/hand trick while moving hands closer to my face. i have done it hundreds of times, and always goes to my left eye.

i have tried shooting one eye closed like i was taught when little and tried the both eyes open. i am usualy pretty good shot with left eye closed, tried the right eye closed and i am horrible. i cant get used to both eyes open because of the double target sight picture or else i get the 2 barrel sight picture. now on to my question. what is the best/easist way to tell which picture to use, the left or the right. if i could find out which one is the proper one to use. i dont think i would have a problem doing both eyes open. thanks

joneb
September 21, 2006, 10:01 PM
CJ, I was in your shoes at one time, read all posts carefully you'll find atleast two that will help. shooting with both eyes open aids in depth perception and peripheral vision . In my experience the eyes can be trained .

ikko909
September 21, 2006, 10:24 PM
What if you're cross-eyed?

cracked junior
September 21, 2006, 10:24 PM
i have searched on it before. never really found anything to help. i read that people have trained their eyes. but never found how to train the eyes. i have tried the scotch tape on my glasses and even a eye patch. but both just screw my eyes up. if i do the eye patch long enough, my head hurts, like i read other people have that problem

1guitarman
November 9, 2008, 06:55 PM
Thanks everyone, I'm just glad to hear that I'm not the only one dealing with the double vision thing. I've tried all ways. Both open, left hand & right eye, right hand and left eye. Left & left, right & right. With both, I get double sights etc. I guess practice is the key.

rainbowbob
November 9, 2008, 07:18 PM
I'm just glad to hear that I'm not the only one dealing with the double vision thing.

Guitarman:

This an old thread and I believe there have been many others on the subject - but it is always of interest.

In one of the threads (perhaps this one - I'll admit I haven't reviewed all the posts) someone suggested the following:

Shooting right-handed and left-eyed (leaving your right eye open) - cock your head to the right until your left eye is looking down the sights. I would add that you can wink your right eye to confirm that your left eye is on the front sight.

...Or you can shoot right-handed and right-eyed with both eyes open by cocking your head to the left.

The trick is to cock your head left or right so that the eye you are aiming with is loking down the sights - and the other isn't.

I used to shoot right-handed with left eye closed - right eye open. Now I can shoot either hand, both eyes open, either eye on the sights.

It sounds more complicated than it is...try it.

M203Sniper
November 10, 2008, 12:50 AM
One side effect of using only 1 eye;

You find yourself bringing your head to the sights instead of bringing the sights in line with your eyes.

If you find your shoulders are fatigued at the end of a range day; you should get someone to watch you shoot and point out your the flaws in your stance.

Worked for me :)

Marcus L.
November 10, 2008, 07:59 AM
I keep them both open unless I am shooting weak handed around a weak hand barricade. On weak side barricade shooting you expose your head a bit too much if you use your dominant eye, so for me I have to close my dominant eye in order to switch to my weak eye.

Deanimator
November 10, 2008, 09:12 AM
I've tried shooting with both eyes open. It just doesn't work for me.

Do what works for YOU.

Steve C
November 10, 2008, 10:56 AM
For precision target work, long distance shooting, and rifle shooting I will block out my left eye or close it. For, shotgun, rapid fire or shooting pistol at targets like steel plate and poppers where range is close I keep both eyes open.

Probably the most common error is focusing on the target and not the sights.

J Bird
November 10, 2008, 11:08 AM
Yes I have my problems aiming , and if not thinking, I close one eye. My biggest problem is the glasses. I have no-line bi-focal glasses. Is there something better to wear at the range?

putteral
November 10, 2008, 11:34 AM
I have a hard time focusing with both eyes open. So one eye for me!

WNC Seabee
November 10, 2008, 11:52 AM
For all you "keep both eyes open" crowd, is your thinking more tactical/SD awareness related, or truly accuracy?

It seems to me that when I shoot Bullseye, I do best with one eye closed or covered. When I shoot IDPA or practice point shooting, I'm more likely to keep both open.

Harve Curry
November 10, 2008, 11:55 AM
Scope or iron I shoot with the right eye. With a handgun from a rest I can shoot left eye, and give the other eye a rest. For close up I've tried shooting with both eyes open but I need to pratice alot more.

From reading this topic I take it that most of you shooting both eyes open is for close range shooting? Say between 7 and 20 yards. Am I correct?

rainbowbob
November 10, 2008, 12:07 PM
...for most of you shooting both eyes open is for close range shooting? Say between 7 and 20 yards. Am I correct?

That is correct in my case. I'm shooting both eyes open for SD drills at close range. It seems faster, at least as accurate, and provides a wider field of vision. The widest field of vision is obtained by using the right eye shooting right-handed, and the left eye shooting left-handed (with both eyes open).

CAPTAIN MIKE
November 10, 2008, 05:48 PM
Accuracy is everything when the chips are down. I am right-eye dominant and so I close the left eye when lining up my shots. Keeping both eyes open when aiming would make my shot inaccurate. What's the point of doing that?

Reid73
November 10, 2008, 06:01 PM
Keeping both eyes open when aiming would make my shot inaccurate. What's the point of doing that?

Closing one eye results in loss of binocular and peripheral vision ... certainly no point to that! When 'the chips are down' you'll almost certainly be significantly impeded by tunnel vision (http://www.rmcat.com/page17.html); you won't want to make the situation worse by closing one eye.

It also tends to increase nervous tension, which hampers accuracy. If you try competitive bullseye shooting you will note that most top scorers shoot with both eyes open, even though some need to block the non-dominant eye with a translucent patch.

benderx4
November 10, 2008, 08:39 PM
For pistols: Both eyes wide open here! Works like a champ. For a rifle, I close one eye.

Reid73
November 11, 2008, 10:10 AM
FWIW, here are a few thoughts from people much more knowledgeable than I.

Binocular aiming has a number of major advantages. The shooter does not have to expend the additional effort involved in squinting the eye, and this is very important when he is engaged in prolonged firings. The binocular acuity of vision is usually better than the monocular. The visual perception of one eye intensifies the total stimulus sent to the central nervous system from the visual perception of the other eye. In such aiming, the stimuli sent by two eyes are more natural than those sent by a single one.United States Army Markmanship Unit, Pistol Markmanship Guide, p.128

Most shooters use only one eye for sighting, closing or covering the other. However, the pupils contract and dilate together. If the non-aiming eye is closed, or totally covered, the pupil of the aiming eye will open wider – a reflex action – and admit more light. This creates glare in the retina and lessens visual depth – so keep both eyes open and make sure the non-aiming eye is only partially covered.Dr. Laslo Antal, Competitive Pistol Shooting, p. 130 (emphasis in original)

Whether you should aim with both eyes or with only one eye open and the other closed is for each pistol shooter to decide for himself. The former has greater advantages because our eyes, being two in number, are by nature used to focusing together. Another significant factor is that when you shut one eye, the entire side of your face inevitably screws up and has an adverse affect on the relaxed stance required. On the whole, a period of a few weeks’ acclimatization or reacclimatization is usually long enough for transferring the dominant role to the aiming eye of the shooter who wants to shoot with both eyes open.Hans Standl, Pistol Shooting, p.24

searcher451
November 11, 2008, 10:14 AM
In the same way that I practice firing with two hands (in alternating grips), right-hand only, and left-hand only, I often alternate between right-eye closed, left-eye closed, and both eyes open while on the range. You just never know what you might run into a real-world situation and what you'll have to get past to survive.

btefft
November 11, 2008, 10:29 AM
I was taught in the Army to keep both eyes open - so I do. I shoot better with both open.

Ranger school told me that another reason to keep both eyes open is that if an enemy is approaching you from the side, with both eyes open, you'll have a much better chance of noticing him before he takes you out.

Hack

Farnorthdan
November 12, 2008, 01:36 PM
Unfortunately I have to close my left eye. Being that I am right handed and left eye dominant, It makes it very difficult to shoot with both eyes open. I can do it, but I don't shoot as well.

Ditto.....

DS

CoRoMo
November 12, 2008, 05:56 PM
I wish I could keep them both open and shoot well. I've been trying for a long time now, but just haven't mastered it. Been shooting with one eye for far too long to grasp the skill quickly.

mavracer
November 12, 2008, 10:48 PM
one eye open (eye dominance issues) if I have both open and focus on front sight I see two targets.
I shot skeet as a youngster and my shoulder got sore dad smarted off and said "well use the other one then ya sissy" I did. so now not only do I shoot with one eye closed pistol rifle or shotgun it's right handed right eye left handed left eye.

Irate Iguana
November 13, 2008, 04:12 PM
one eye open (eye dominance issues) if I have both open and focus on front sight I see two targets.

I've got the same issue. Since I'm a new shooter I haven't been set in my ways yet. I tried shooting with one eye closed so I see only one target, but it feels really odd. Pretty uncomfortable. I figure I might as well learn to shoot with both eyes open. As long as I put the sights on the left most target I'm good to go. I hope that with training I can ignore the right most image automatically.

Blacksmoke
November 14, 2008, 08:23 AM
Here is how I shoot.

First, I look down the barrel to make sure the gun is loaded and there is nothing in the way.

Second, When a target presents itself I point, cock, close both eyes and turn my head, squeeze.

AFter dischrage I open my eyes to see what damage I have done and who is still standing.

-Curly Howard

I generally keep both eyes open, unless a scope is in use. Sorry for the dumb joke. The question struck me as funny.

1911 guy
November 14, 2008, 09:02 AM
Human beings have binocular vision for a reason. Unless there's something wrong with one eye, use both. I got a slap to the back of the head when I was learning and tried to squint. Infantry Dads are like that, I guess.

6_gunner
November 15, 2008, 10:06 AM
I've been working on this. The suggestion to put tape over the lens of my glasses over the weak eye has been very helpful. Without the tape, though, I still have trouble. It works if I squint my weak eye, but when I try to sight with both eyes wide open, I see two front sights. If I try to focus on the correct one, it tends to disappear. If I REALLY focus, I can get a proper sight picture, but the target is out of focus.

Hopefully, with enough training, I will be able to teach myself to see the proper sight picture. I have poor eyesight and wear glasses. Perhaps that's part of the problem

1911 guy
November 15, 2008, 11:06 AM
You're completely normal. Focusing on the front sight will make the target out of focus. That's just how the eyeball works.

I know it seems counter-intuitive to focus on the sight, when you want to hit the target. That's the one sure-fire way to tighten your groups, though. Keeping both eyes open and focusing on the reticle works with scopes, too.

the foot
November 15, 2008, 07:40 PM
Keep your eyes open.

Reid73
November 17, 2008, 04:51 PM
If I REALLY focus, I can get a proper sight picture, but the target is out of focus.Like 1911 guy says, this is absolutely normal.

I have poor eyesight and wear glasses. Perhaps that's part of the problem.Perfect uncorrected vision is always going to be a tiny bit better than corrected vision. That said, if your prescription is correct and your glasses fit well, the practical difference should be insignificant.

Hopefully, with enough training, I will be able to teach myself to see the proper sight picture.Based (only) upon your complaint that the target is out of focus when you have a proper sight picture, I wonder what sort of training you're currently getting. Any decent instructor should have covered the sighting issue in the first lesson. And this (very basic) topic is also very well explained in all pistol shooting books that I have ever read.

Don't waste time trying to teaching yourself; that's unnecessarily reinventing the wheel, plus you'll develop bad habits. Pay some money and hire an experienced coach. And read as much as possible. The three books I referenced above are all very good, and are worth seeking out (the U.S. Army Markmanship Unit's text is in the public domain and can be accessed free on-line). There are also other books, many of which are equally good, so check your local library. In the interim, here are a few quick references:

(1) Technical Basics for Pistol Shooting (http://www.targetshooting.ca/reframerize.cfm?redirect=http://www.targetshooting.ca/train_tech_p.htm);

(2) "The Wheel of Misfortune" (http://home.earthlink.net/~potomac008/Pistol%20Wheel.htm); and

(3) Handgun Shooting Tips (http://www.self-defender.net/article17.htm).

Good luck!

twoclones
November 17, 2008, 11:10 PM
Close one for iron sights, both open for laser.

6_gunner
November 18, 2008, 09:46 AM
Based (only) upon your complaint that the target is out of focus when you have a proper sight picture, I wonder what sort of training you're currently getting. Any decent instructor should have covered the sighting issue in the first lesson. And this (very basic) topic is also very well explained in all pistol shooting books that I have ever read.

Maybe "training" was a poor choice of words, on my part. I know what to do, I just need to practice until it feels natural. I'm a decent shot when I close or squint my weak eye; but I need to work on aiming with both eyes open until I can do it without thinking about it.

Thanks for the links. I'll be sure to check them out.

atrain08
December 17, 2008, 02:12 PM
I'm having trouble with double image, both eyes open obviously. Sometimes I get a perfect sight picture but most of the time I get a double image. I'm trying different techniques but so far no luck, I think I just need to train my eyes to do what I want.

Irate Iguana
December 17, 2008, 03:16 PM
Being a few weeks further now, I can say that it definitely gets easier. Just as long as you keep at it. It almost feels natural to me now. I seldom even see the second image.

KBintheSLC
December 17, 2008, 03:30 PM
Inside of 25 yards I leave both eyes open and focus on the target. Beyond 25 yards I close one eye and focus on the front sight.

I'm having trouble with double image, both eyes open obviously. Sometimes I get a perfect sight picture but most of the time I get a double image. I'm trying different techniques but so far no luck, I think I just need to train my eyes to do what I want.
Try covering your weak eye with some masking tape over your glasses. That way you can keep both eyes open, but learn to isolate the image of the dominant eye.

Claude Clay
December 17, 2008, 03:31 PM
i am one with the gun. i have the pebble in one hand and the gun in the other; both eyes closed and i see the hole in my target before i fire.
i also believe that if i keep jumping with a smaller parachute that eventually i will not need any.

right handed, left eye dominate. by aligning my shoulders to 10:30/4:30 the target is at 12 o'clock and my left eye is with it and the sights and i shoot both eyes open.

atrain08
December 17, 2008, 09:36 PM
Try covering your weak eye with some masking tape over your glasses. That way you can keep both eyes open, but learn to isolate the image of the dominant eye.
I'll try that this weekend. I think I tend to cross eye a little bit when focusing on the sights, isn't that part of what causes the two front sights picture? I might be totally wrong but I feel like I cross eye a bit when looking down the sights. Both my eyes are 20/20 and I’m not sure which is my dominant eye; I'm assuming it’s my right.

punkndisorderly
December 17, 2008, 11:14 PM
I'm left eye dominant, but realized it after years of using my right eye. I tend to half close the left eye until my brain shifts over to the right eye, then I open it back up.

Knives
December 20, 2008, 09:48 PM
Both eyes open.

denfoote
December 21, 2008, 03:12 PM
God was gave me stereoscopic vision.
I use it!!

atrain08
December 27, 2008, 06:42 PM
UPDATE: Since my last post I have practiced a lot and I can now focus on my sights with both eyes open and without any double image! My accuracy has improved a lot with this little added vision capability.

MCgunner
December 27, 2008, 07:28 PM
My right eye is so bad, I don't have to bother, practically blind in it anyway.:banghead:

Mike OTDP
December 27, 2008, 08:08 PM
I cheat. Knobloch shooting glasses, with a frosted blinder over the left eye.

NotSoFast
December 27, 2008, 08:36 PM
While I know I need to shoot with both eyes open, I'm still working on accuracy issues I have with that. Meantime I shoot with one eye open, especially when I'm trying to go for accuracy.

Fenris
December 28, 2008, 04:39 AM
I keep both eyes open. But I am very right eye dominant, so I never have any double image problem. Usually the only way I can even see the left eyes perspective in the overlap region is to close the right eye.

I guess this means I keep both eyes open but only use one eye.

Now when I've tried drills using left eye only with right eye taped... well I didn't always miss.

Fenris
December 28, 2008, 05:09 AM
To help keep target and front sight in focus as much as possible during practice/learning, practice in very bright conditions. This will cause your pupils to constrict, which increases your depth perception. This is why pin hole cameras don't need focusing lenses.

One possible drill I've read for training eyes somewhere is to use both eyes, then close desired non-dominant eye concentrating on the single eye sight picture then reopen eye trying to focus your mind on the sight image you want from the desired dominant eye. Repeat ad nauseum.

This is an attempting to teach your brain to ignore the sight perspective you don't want while still able to use the eye for peripheral vision. (Note: I didn't need to do this so I can't attest to the effectiveness, though I imagine it would take a great deal of dedication and effort. You are basically trying to reprogram how your brain processes visual information in a single circumstance (shooting) while the brain has years of pre-existing training. Remember it's all a software problem.)

Crawdad
January 1, 2009, 09:44 PM
I'm right handed and left eye dominant, and leave both open. It's dangerous to do otherwise, in my opinion.

If you enjoyed reading about "Do you close one eye to aim your pistol?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!