Question about propriety on THR.

PDA

PinnedAndRecessed
September 18, 2006, 08:23 PM
There is a thread posted in this forum by a poster who apparantly was banned from the firing line because he used an inappropriate acronym. The acronym is widely recognized as containing profanity. The poster argued with the mods and subsequently was banned.

Yet, on THR, the same thing takes place. And the people who post the inappropriate acronym do so with impunity. The acronym to which I refer is
SHTF.

We know what it means and that it implies vulgarity. Yet THR allows it. As I write this, there are several threads currently running with that in the thread title.

A double standard?

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about propriety on THR." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Devonai
September 18, 2006, 08:49 PM
Only if TFL and THR were run by exactly the same people and had exactly the same code of conduct. Clearly they do not.

Matt King
September 18, 2006, 08:52 PM
I don't really like SHTF, so I try to use WTBFS*.

*When the birds fly South. My own little invention! :D

Mal H
September 18, 2006, 11:32 PM
Double standard? I don't think so.

Yes, we all know what SHTF stands for and most of us know the origin of it (perhaps not knowing the origin makes it just a little more vulgar). It has come to be the standard acronym on the internet for a time when all hell (that's an ok word, BTW) breaks loose in the form of civil unrest, to put it mildly.

The acronym for which the member in question was banned on TFL was not of that variety, it was an extremely profane acronym and offensive to a large percentage of members - big difference.

pax
September 18, 2006, 11:45 PM
TFL ain't THR.

THR ain't TFL.

Glad we got that cleared up. ;)

pax

PinnedAndRecessed
September 19, 2006, 12:33 AM
Well, I don't think it's appropriate for the High Road. I wouldn't want to have to try to explain to my nine-year-old (I don't have a nine-year-old, but you get the point) what the letters SHTF designate.

No fundamental difference in wacki's post. And I don't think Art's mom would appreciate either one of them.

WheelGunMom
September 19, 2006, 02:04 AM
Well, I have an 11-year-old and I would have no problems explaining to her the very serious implications (including the mild vulgarity) of "when the SHTF."

This is not worth a separate thread, IMHO.

Helstrm
September 19, 2006, 09:26 AM
SHTF = Shells Hit the Floor, My 10 year old bought it...

armoredman
September 19, 2006, 11:15 AM
Olegs's living room, not ours. If he is comfortable with it, then we are too.
C'mon, an ACRONYM of a mildly foul word is offensive? Eh, good thing there is no Consitutional right to not be offended.

PinnedAndRecessed
September 19, 2006, 11:47 AM
I have an 11-year-old and I would have no problems explaining to her the very serious implications (including the mild vulgarity)

I'm afraid I question your values as a parent.

an ACRONYM of a mildly foul word is offensive?

The issue began because wacki was censured on the Firing Line for using an acronym that implies profanity. He apparantly took issue with the censure and was subsequently banned.

He came the THR and began complaining. One of the mods said, "When moderators spot cussing (acronym or otherwise), they often just quietly erase it. Laxness would come because moderators don't always see it, and don't always have time to erase it."

But now, on this thread, it appears profanity in an acronym is ok. It just depends upon what "kind" of profanity.

All profanity is vulgar. It represents a lower class of people and is not tolerated among a spiritual and civilized people.

bender
September 19, 2006, 11:51 AM
what's the prob with "Stuff Hits the Fan" ?? :rolleyes:

this reminds me of something my son said a while back. He likes playing Doom on his computer, and awhile back he tells me... " I finally found out what "BFG" stands for..."
I say "well, that's a bad word, don't go around saying it..."
He says "What's wrong with Big Fat Gun?"
I say "uh...."
He says "what did YOU think it meant...?"

Mal H
September 19, 2006, 02:09 PM
PinnedAndRecessed, you need to look up the word "profane". I believe you are confusing simple cuss words with profanity.

Correia
September 19, 2006, 02:22 PM
We talked about this once as a Mod group several years ago.

Bascially SHTF is so firmly entrenched into the gun culture vocabulary that it is never ever going to go away. Even if we started a huge concentrated effort to ban the use of the acronym (which none of us thought was neccesary anyway) it wouldn't work.

And I would be really careful insulting somebody else's parenting skills. I personally try not to cuss in front of my kids (fail miserably at it once in awhile too), but I've known awesome parents who swore infront of theirs, and horrible parents who never let a foul word past their lips. I think you owe WheelGunMom an apology.

chickenfried
September 19, 2006, 02:23 PM
I wrote a response but erased it because this says it all.......:rolleyes:

PinnedAndRecessed
September 19, 2006, 03:21 PM
you need to look up the word "profane". I believe you are confusing simple cuss words with profanity.

Ok. I did. From here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profanity

A profanity (or "swear word", or "curse word", or "foul language")

It's all the same and to appeal to symantics is merely splitting hairs.

buzz_knox
September 19, 2006, 03:37 PM
Yes, foul mouth acronyms are absolutely inappropriate. So, the question is whether or not this was a minor SNAFU or is THR completely FUBARed?

Devonai
September 19, 2006, 03:44 PM
AFAIK, the phrase has always meant that when the stuff hits the oscillating blades, everybody gets covered in it. It doesn't just imply that something bad is happening, but that it is happening on a wide scale.

Wasn't there a scene in Airplane where the SHTF, literally? :D

FWIW (to binge on acronyms), my parents sometimes listened to music with profanity in it when I was young. Warren Zevon comes to mind immediately. My dad told me that I should avoid using profanity as I might offend others, debase myself, and compromise my ability to be taken seriously by the general public.

chickenfried
September 19, 2006, 03:59 PM
MMMMM...........FUBAR w/nougat.........Drooooooolllllll

Biker
September 19, 2006, 04:06 PM
Ya don't have to read it if it offends your delicate, emotional sensibilities.
It really is that simple. Why try to impose your puritanical ideals on a group of folks who are used to seeing and hearing the occasional "hell"?
Take your picture off the oatmeal box, friend, different strokes and all that.

Biker

Car Knocker
September 19, 2006, 04:20 PM
It appears some are offended by the term and others aren't. I really don't see how one could run a forum that doesn't offend anyone at anytime, ever. I guess if one feels strongly enough about the issue, the solution is obvious. I do know that I object to conforming to someone else's idea of what is "spiritual and civilized" in how I deport myself here (other, of course, than Oleg and his designee's, since it's his forum).

PinnedAndRecessed
September 19, 2006, 04:32 PM
Ok, I'm going to type this very slowly so the newcomers can try to keep up.

This issue began here:

http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=221857

Wacki used the acronym, "****" in a thread title. He was chastised because the acronym connotes profanity. Instead of acquiescing, he refused.
He was banned. Not for the acronym, but because of how he responded to the correction.

Wacki came onto the high road and posted the above thread.

Pax said, among other things, When moderators spot cussing (acronym or otherwise), they often just quietly erase it. Laxness would come because moderators don't always see it, and don't always have time to erase it. Members who're annoyed by cuss words in the forum should use the "report this post" (the red triangle thingie at the left bottom of every post) to alert the mods when there's a problem.

However, I brought it to their attention that they do, in fact allow an acronym which connotes profanity, viz., SHTF.

But they choose to ignore the double standard. They answer for that. Not me.

chickenfried
September 19, 2006, 04:36 PM
OOOOHHHHH! I'm telling.

......... profanity, viz., SHTF.

Biker
September 19, 2006, 04:37 PM
"They answer for that. Not me."
You solved your own problem. It's none of your business, it's theirs. See? It's that simple.:)

Biker

PinnedAndRecessed
September 19, 2006, 04:41 PM
Likewise, biker, it's none of your business. See? It's that simple.

Correia
Yep, we're going to hell for that for sure.

Some dude gets kicked off of TFL.

A. TFL problem.
B. Not a THR problem.

Then he comes here, and in his first post, complains about it.

C. See above.

Like I said, we could freak out about SHTF, but we feel it would be pointless and stupid and futile. Between the mods here, we only have like a couple hundred years of experience, so we might know a little tiny bit about this stuff.

You're offended by SHTF, but so far in this thread you've managed to insult a couple of members, questioned another member's parenting skills, told us you were going to write slower (I'm assuming 'cause we all ain't as smart as you), and it's starting to bug me.

Your question was asked and answered.

Closed.

bender
It's not a double standard anyway.

Correia up above said that SHTF is so firmly entrenched in the gun-culture, that they decided to let that one go.

An exception, not a double standard.

If you enjoyed reading about "Question about propriety on THR." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!