Have you ever had a gun explode on you?

PDA

Justaman
September 18, 2006, 07:34 PM
I'm not talking about pushing the envelope in terms of reloading, but have you ever had a terminal failure in any of your weapons while using standard factory ammo?

If you enjoyed reading about "Have you ever had a gun explode on you?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Jack19
September 18, 2006, 08:04 PM
Never; from the day my Dad first took me shooting, in 1968, until the date of this post.

I have never, ever, had any weapon, of any type, "explode," or fail in any catastrophic way; whether due to the quality of the weapon, or the quality of the ammunition.

AK103K
September 18, 2006, 08:14 PM
No handguns, but I did have a M1 Garand go grenade on me during a match. That was a treat.

Geronimo45
September 18, 2006, 08:19 PM
You shouldn't have any modern gun explode on you - unless it's a manufacturer that makes the slide out of melted paperclips. Now, when you're getting very old guns, you might want a gunsmith to check them over for any problems. Check your new ones, too. Even a good manufacturer can have bad forgings. Check the little parts and the big ones. The likelihood of a gun blowing up is low. Keep it that way.
Factory ammo - beware of SMG ammo, usually coming from China or Eastern Europe. It's loaded too hot for some pistols (particularly old ones).

I haven't seen any exploded guns first-hand, don't intend to do so.

10-Ring
September 18, 2006, 08:47 PM
Not to me, but a guy a few stalls over from me says that his G22 blew up using factory ammo. His buddy packed up everything pretty quickly so I really couldn't see what they were shooting.

Justaman
September 18, 2006, 08:54 PM
hmmm there seems to be a common thread with catastrophic glock failures

Helstrm
September 18, 2006, 08:56 PM
Blow up no, I have seen a round stove pipe and the next round bulged the barrel, It was loud and scary. I was not shooting so I am not sure what it felt like. I also saw a FAL blow the magazine out, Always check head space before firing a used rifle. As a rule if something didn't feel right check your gun out.

Cosmoline
September 18, 2006, 09:03 PM
Nope, but I favor massively overbuilt receivers and all steel frames.

gaven
September 18, 2006, 10:07 PM
NOPE, DID HAVE THE WIFE BLOWUP AT ME ONE TIME . THAT ONE ALMOST TOOK MY HEAD OFF.

spooney
September 18, 2006, 10:12 PM
I saw a friend's single shot shotgun blow up in his face one time with Remington Game Loads. It stuck a 2 3/8" piece of barrel in his arm, very gross.

No_Warning
September 18, 2006, 10:35 PM
The only problem I have had is the other week I had a misfire with my Walther P99. I pulled the trigger and heard a "pop" and then saw smoke coming out from the chamber (round never ejected). The first thing to go through my head was "I just bought this gun!". After about 15 seconds I racked the slide and out came the bullet. Once I cleared the gun and picked up the bullet and it had no primer left and I could shake out the powder. Anyone else ever have this happen? I was shooting some Winchester 9mm. Never had a problem before that, and didnt have any more that day but bet your donkey I cringed for almost every shot after that.

Onmilo
September 18, 2006, 10:46 PM
I have yet to blow a gun up with factory ammunition but I did blow up an EAA Witness 10mm with a bad reload.
If you reload long enough it will happen to you.

Axman
September 19, 2006, 12:56 AM
No blown up guns, I keep thinking of Bugs Bunny sticking his finger in Elmers shotgun causing the barrel to shred!

I was target shooting on surplus ammo with my #1 MkIII Enfield once when the firing pin went "click". I thought it was a dud and reached up to open the bolt to eject the cartridge when the round fired. It was one of them delayed misfires. Lucky I didn't get to the bolt before it let loose.

History Prof
September 19, 2006, 01:10 AM
I was target shooting on surplus ammo with my #1 MkIII Enfield once when the firing pin went "click". I thought it was a dud and reached up to open the bolt to eject the cartridge when the round fired. It was one of them delayed misfires. Lucky I didn't get to the bolt before it let loose.
When I first got into mil-surp someone told me to watch out for those. At first, I just kinda blew it off, but then decided "better safe than sorry." So, the first couple of times it happened, I just waited about 5 seconds and then ejected the round. The third time I had a "dud," it went off about 3 seconds after I pulled the trigger. I usually wait about 7 or 8 seconds now.

If you reload long enough it will happen to you.
Closest I came to blowing up a gun was back when I used to reload. I had a round with no powder in my .357 M19. Fortunately, my friend was watching and said it sounded kinda funny. I was about to cock it again when he stopped me. The bullet had gone just far enough to allow the cylinder to rotate. Man, I'm glad my friend caught that one!

PinnedAndRecessed
September 19, 2006, 01:27 AM

No, but I ate some relish my mother in law's boyfriend made. My wife said when I was asleep it was like that sulphur moat in Shrek. Even woke the dog up.

jeepmor
September 19, 2006, 01:32 AM
Was it a over max load that blew up the 10mm?

I've never exceeded the max specs for Blue Dot or Unique powders, but have read of some stompy loads in excess of manuals with no issues. Just curious.

jeepmor

BTW - no kabooms for me.

Screehopper
September 19, 2006, 01:35 AM
None. And I hope never.

Waywatcher
September 19, 2006, 02:27 AM
Justaman: hmmm there seems to be a common thread with catastrophic glock failures

The common thread is quite limited in scope, actually. I have never seen or heard of a kB in a GLOCK 9mm. It's mostly a 40 issue, as the barrel and chamber are the same outside dimensions as the 9mm, and all 40's are basically +P, and there are a lot of GLOCK 40's.

A GLOCK in 9mm will run forever.

As to the original post, I have never had a gun blow up. A poll may be a good idea...

106rr
September 19, 2006, 04:33 AM
I've had two "blow ups" My first was a M2 .50 cal. I was having a very bad day on counter sniper duty in 67. Alpha Company, 4/31, 196th LIB was relocating from their old basecamp to a new AO. I was re-assigned from my 106 RR to the big 50 to cover the retreat. We had three snipers working us over. These are not highly trained guys, just NVA with 7.62 mm bolt actions. They try to hit the choppers. The M2 had its cover blown loose and ammo from the belt spewed everywhere. The top just lifted off the piece. I just scrambled around trying to reload and get a fresh belt started while the NVA took potshots. The hinge at the front held up. There was no damage to the M2 or to me. The only damage was to my ego. They got the better of me that day. Looking back on it the missed me repeatedly so I guess we're even.
I "blew up" a G35 by firing a full power Rem 180 gr jhp right up the bore into a stuck round. The front sight disappeared, the mag blew out, and 360 gr of jhp went down range at one time. Recoil was heavy. The barrel was bulged into the slide. The brass case held up and barrel did too. Glock fixed it for free because the factory hull was stuck in the chamber. No damage whatsoever to me. The frame was fine also.

hso
September 19, 2006, 10:17 AM
No handgun or rifle, but a shotgun blew once. Bad case and the follower and brass and plastic blew out the loading port.

Houser52
September 19, 2006, 10:32 AM
I have not but, I was running the timer at an IDPA match and the shooter was using a 10mm Glock when it let go. It blew pieces of the mag out the bottom, blew out the mag release, bulged the chamber and blacked the shooter's hand. He laid the gun on the ground for a few minutes to make sure all the excitement was over. The best thing he could figure was a double charged handload or lead build up just forward of the chamber causing excessive pressure.

Luckly he didn't get hurt but it scared the crap out of everyone.

Vern Humphrey
September 19, 2006, 10:44 AM
I had an antique Kentucky rifle blow its drum out -- and almost blow my ear drum out, too.

highlander 5
September 19, 2006, 10:54 AM
[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][/FONTnever had in my 30+ years of reloading but at a state owned range watched a guy blow up his marlin 30/30.
Fired first round and he had to sit on the ground and brace the rifle on his FEET to get it to eject advised him not to fire another round which he did and KABOOM luckily no one was hurt other than said dolt's ego

saltydog452
September 19, 2006, 12:40 PM
Nosir, but I did have a Series 80 Colt send its recoil spring plug, and firing pin in opposite directions.

Does that count?

salty.

BrainOnSigs
September 19, 2006, 01:29 PM
I had a case split in a Sig P229 in .40 S&W. The pistol shot sparks out of all the wrong places and the mag rocketed out of the bottom. After counting my fingers and field stripping the pistol to inspect, I put it back together and it has worked flawlessly since. I was very thankful that it wasn't a polymer frame pistol that I was shooting at the time.

Zero_DgZ
September 19, 2006, 02:54 PM
Nothing involving lead yet, and I don't have any plans to in the future!

I did blow up a flare pistol once, though. What Einstein was it who decided it would be a good idea to make those things out of plastic, anyway? :what:

Got some plastic shrapnel scrapes but didn't even lose any hair over the matter. I'm now the proud owner of a surplus German flare pistol from H&K as a replacement, made out of steel.

Doug.38PR
September 19, 2006, 03:03 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not talking about pushing the envelope in terms of reloading, but have you ever had a terminal failure in any of your weapons while using standard factory ammo?

Since my fingers are still here to type this message, the answer would be NO;)

Onmilo
September 20, 2006, 09:32 AM
jeepmor,
Accurate Arms #5 and a 200 grain full metal jacket bullet.
Definate max pressure overload.
Folks smarter than me have since determined AA#5 isn't the best powder for loading the 10mm.

shermacman
September 20, 2006, 09:55 AM
I short stroked my Winchester .22 bolt action rifle once. Here's what happened. Shot number one went bang and took off towards its intended Coke can. Fine!
I worked the bolt, ejected the spent case and rammed the bolt back too fast, too soon. The bolt slammed into the next round before it went into the breech. The impact was enough to crimp the brass and set off the primer/powder. Remember this was rim fire .22 ammo.
The round burst with smoke, flame and lots of noise right in the partly closed action. Burned my face slightly, embedded unburned powder into my hand.

Lessons: One--yes I was wearing "eyes and ears" And I will forever!
Two--The rifle was my Dad's...I was more concerned about damaging it than I was about my health.

Manedwolf
September 20, 2006, 09:59 AM
I did blow up a flare pistol once, though. What Einstein was it who decided it would be a good idea to make those things out of plastic, anyway?

That's why I keep 12ga flares in the emergency gear. Flares aren't going to blow out an 870, I'd hope.

the naked prophet
September 20, 2006, 12:08 PM
That's why I keep 12ga flares in the emergency gear. Flares aren't going to blow out an 870, I'd hope.

No, but they'll get stuck halfway down the barrel and melt a hole through it.

Then you could post again in this thread.

shermacman
September 20, 2006, 12:26 PM
Try it!
Just don't use your $15,000 Perazzi!
It will either make it to the last two inches of the barrel and then the phosphorus will melt your gun; or, it will make it all the way out of the barrel and fall at your feet, starting the grassfire that eventually burns down your house!

Manedwolf
September 20, 2006, 12:45 PM
I said EMERGENCY gear, mind you.

If I actually needed to fire one out of the shotgun, it'd be for trying to get an aerial rescue in a sudden flood or such, and I'd have more to worry about than ruining the barrel. It's an 18", I'd hope it'd be able to find its way at least that far.

If I wanted to fire a flare for signaling, I'd use a metal flare pistol or one of the Czech metal-tube rocket flares.

If you enjoyed reading about "Have you ever had a gun explode on you?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!