Cleaning stainless encore?

PDA

last to know
September 18, 2006, 09:33 PM
I just bought a new stainless encore and was wondering if i need to hot water clean it after a day at the range like a standard steel version or can i just give it a good scrubbing with a b/p solvent?

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning stainless encore?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
1 old 0311
September 19, 2006, 09:45 AM
I use brake cleaner to hose it down. Follow with normal cleaning procedure.

4v50 Gary
September 19, 2006, 09:47 AM
Clean as you would any other black powder gun. Stainless only means that you don't have to (re)blue it, ever. Stainless will rust if neglected.

last to know
September 19, 2006, 09:20 PM
Thanks Kevin & Garry, I'll give it a good washing on sat. when i get back from the range.

wanderinwalker
September 20, 2006, 09:39 AM
last to know,
If you want to simplify cleaning a little, I'd recommend trying out Thompson Center's new T-17 cleaner. It works great when cleaning up after real BP and not too bad with Pyrodex either, though I'm still not sure if it does a 100% rust-free job on the Pyro. I cleaned my Encore (SS btw) with this last time I shot it (a couple of weeks ago) and a patch ran through the barrel last night was still just Bore Butter yellow.

Needless to say, I'm a happy camper. I'm trying like a madman to avoid putting water through my Encore now. Kind of come to the belief that water is best NOT let onto the interior of a firearm unless carefully dried and well-oiled after. And I've seen a few muzzleloaders cleaned with soap and water turn in some rusting.

HTH.

arcticap
September 20, 2006, 01:09 PM
I mostly use Hoppe's Number 9 BP Solvent and Patch Lubricant with tight fitting patches.

If you enjoyed reading about "Cleaning stainless encore?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!