kel tec PLR16 .223 handgun

PDA

Safety First
September 18, 2006, 08:37 PM
Has anyone purchased one of these, if so what is your opinion of the gun in terms of accuracy and reliablilty?

Also, do you think a red dot scope would be good for varmints and small game out to say 50-75 yards?

I have been quoted $480.00 plus tax for a NIB, is that a good price?

As always all comments are appreciated

If you enjoyed reading about "kel tec PLR16 .223 handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Bainx
September 18, 2006, 09:21 PM
Howdy,
This has become my favorite gun I have bought in years. My AR sits in the safe now due to the fun factor of the PLR16.
I have a cheap red dot scope [BSA] on top and it works great. Hitting targets the size of a post-it note is not difficult at 100 yds from a steady on the bench.
The muzzle flash is unreal, the noise is unreal.
$480 is a good price. Be sure and get the foregrip and single point sling for the gun. Since it IS a pistol, I can have it loaded ready with me here in Tennessee under the permit law. It stays concealed in some sort of bag in my truck. There is an entire gun board devoted to it at:
http://www.ktog.org
Enjoy!

Safety First
September 18, 2006, 10:37 PM
Bainx,

Thanks, Is the foregrip really a helpful option? I know nothing about this kind of gun, so forgive the ignorance. I am learning as I go. Does the foregrip just help to steady the gun or are there other bennefits? Is there a flash suppressor and or silencer available?

What about 30 round mags, what brand do you like?

Sorry about all the questions, handguns I am familiar with, just not this type of rifle, oops, sorry I mean pistol.

Srigs
September 18, 2006, 11:31 PM
I'm looking at it for a great Bug Out Bag rifle er handgun for the back pack. :what: It might be just what the doctor ordered! :evil:

Safety First
September 18, 2006, 11:53 PM
What is the solution for the excessive loud sound and muzzle flash ?

pocketgun
September 19, 2006, 12:22 AM
Saw a guy with a Phantom (http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=338) flash hider that reduced it to almost nothing. Of course, you could just pick up a suppressor...

(BTW, I know nothing about the vendor linked above - shop around.)

MachIVshooter
September 19, 2006, 12:47 PM
Bought one a few months ago and absolutely love it. I topped mine with a Bushnell trophy red/green 1x dot sight and have no problems drilling 5 gallon cans at 100 yards from a standing position. Using my car as a rest, I was able to dump a 20 round mag into center mass of a standard silhouette from 180 yards in about one minute.

The PLR has functioned flawlessly thus far, probably about 1,200 rounds so far. I put a phantom flash hider/comp on it, and it actually does help with muzzle rise.

The handguard and sling are a must. You wouldn't think the sling could add that much stability when firing from a standing position, but it most certainly does.

DO NOT fire the PLR-16 without good ear protection!

TIMC
September 19, 2006, 01:24 PM
What is the solution for the excessive loud sound and muzzle flash ?
Flash suppressor and ear plugs! :D

I bought mine several months ago. The PLR is great! I think of it as one of my most fun guns. Easy to modify so it will hold all the tacticool crap you would ever want.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v369/timc/PLRbipoddown.jpg

Safety First
September 19, 2006, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the replies, any other comments will be appreciated as well:

Ok to recap, I need the fore grip, good suppressor that may help with the sound as well, I will need the sling and hand guard

I will figure out which red dot scope to buy, but any and all additional suggestions will be appreciated also.

How about the brass deflector, what do you guys think about that, is it worth it ?

Where do you buy your .223 ammo and what brand do you prefer? I will be using mostly for small varmint control, maybe a coyote if I get a very lucky opportunity, but I am not holding my breath on that one. But mostly just a fun gun or additional crap hit the fan scenario gun. I basically just wanted something in .223 that did not have a stock as shooting right handed and aiming with my all but useless right eye is no longer an option.

EdLaver
September 19, 2006, 06:33 PM
TIMC that thing is a MONSTER!!! Please share all the mods and where you got the quad rail. I am thinking about buying one. You cant beat that price either.

ramis
September 19, 2006, 09:52 PM
here is a review

http://www.gunblast.com/Kel-Tec_PLR-16.htm

ramis

Shipwreck
September 19, 2006, 10:12 PM
Man, that is a kewl pic!

TIMC
September 19, 2006, 10:58 PM
TIMC that thing is a MONSTER!!! Please share all the mods and where you got the quad rail. I am thinking about buying one. You cant beat that price either.

The forend is from Kel-Tec I added a set of tactical rails from Tapco item #MNT0913. They have a sling swivel in one of them I mounted it on the left side for the front sling point $29.99. It will take a little fitting with a dremmal tool but it's not to hard.

The flash suppressor is from Brownells, it is a DPMS suppressor item #231-000-198. The cost $8.You will also need a crush washer to get it to align correctly item #231-000-175 $2.75.

The sight is a Bushnell Holosight, Eotech style. Best holosight I have seen, rugged and dependable. I like the AA battery style.

The laser is a 12mw green laser made by Aimshot, I bought it from Natchez item #LXLS8100G $269.86. Expensive but the are nice.

The Bi-pod is just a cheap military style Bi-pod, don't remember where I bought it but it was less than $20.

The Tac light is a cheap Chinese knock off but it works pretty good. I don't usually have it on the PLR but I have it in case I ever want to use it.

I think of my PLR as just a range toy but I wouldn't want to be on the buisness end out to 100 yards, it is very accurate out to that range. The PLR is also easy to bump fire making for a lot of fun too. get one you wont regret it.

MachIVshooter
September 20, 2006, 03:45 AM
Ok to recap, I need the fore grip, good suppressor that may help with the sound as well, I will need the sling and hand guard

PLR-16: $500
Virtical foregrip: $40
10 years in prison for making an AOW: priceless.

There are some things money can't buy, and your way out of a Federal firearms charge is one of them.

DO NOT put a vertical foregrip on a handgun without doing the BATFE form 4 for an AOW tax stamp.

BamBam-31
September 20, 2006, 03:52 AM
Freakin Kali! :banghead:

alwilliam
December 7, 2006, 01:44 PM
http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=50;action=display;num=1165295638

They seem to melt at 100 rounds:uhoh:

If you enjoyed reading about "kel tec PLR16 .223 handgun" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!