Some Democrats are really scummy...

PDA

BulletinBoardToughGuy
May 12, 2003, 08:52 PM
I love how ONE of our political parties chooses to obey the law only when it serves their purposes... :cuss:

Makes me so D*** mad! :fire:

Here is why Democrats are scum:

http://www.yahoo.com/s/83442

Here is the story:

Texas House Seeks Arrest of Truant Dems
By CONNIE MABIN, Associated Press Writer

AUSTIN, Texas - State troopers and the elite Texas Rangers were ordered to track down and bring in 59 Democratic lawmakers who brought the Texas House to a standstill Monday by going into hiding.

The quorum-busting boycott capped months of tension between Democrats and the newly-in-control Republicans, and occurred as the chamber was scheduled to debate a congressional redistricting plan opposed by Democrats.

The parties have also clashed over a bill to limit lawsuits and a GOP budget that would avoid new taxes but make deep spending cuts.

GOP House Speaker Tom Craddick locked down the House chamber so lawmakers who did show up Monday morning could not leave. After a roll call, he ordered the missing lawmakers arrested and brought back to the chamber.

"It is a disgrace to run and hide," Craddick said.

Most of the missing lawmakers had said they planned to leave the state to avoid arrest.

The Texas House cannot convene without at least 100 of the 150 members present, and 59 of the 62 Democrats were absent. There are 88 Republicans. The three Democrats who remained are Craddick allies.

Fifty-three Democrats had sent the House leadership letters saying they would be absent.

"I do not know where they are," said Tamara Bell, chief of staff for House Democratic caucus chairman Jim Dunnam.

House rules allow for the arrest of members who intentionally thwart a quorum.

As the rebellion took shape during the weekend, the Democrats broke up into small groups, with only their team leaders knowing the details of their travels. They were told to pack enough clothes and necessities to last four days.

"I don't know where we're going. I don't know how we're going to get there," one Democratic lawmaker told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity as he packed before a Sunday night rendezvous.

House Democrats said they were taking a stand for fair treatment of the minority party.

"We refuse to participate in an inherently unfair process that slams the door of opportunity in the face of Texas voters," they said in a statement read by state Sen. Rodney Ellis.

Republicans gained control of the chamber in November for the first time since Reconstruction.

If the Democrats stay away through Thursday — the deadline for preliminary passage of House bills — they could derail major pending bills considered priorities by Republicans.

Three weeks are left in the legislative session. Craddick said Republican Gov. Rick Perry assured him he would call a special session if necessary after the regular session ends June 2.

"These legislators have been elected and paid to come to work by hardworking Texans," the governor said in a statement. "They are asked to work for 140 days every two years — not to hide out because they don't like the way the debate is going."

However, U.S. Rep. Joe Barton (news, bio, voting record), R-Texas, sounded a conciliatory note: "It's not going to cause a total meltdown of the Democratic process. ... This is kind of a little temper tantrum. That's allowed in democracy."

The walkout came 24 years to the month after a dozen state senators defied then-Lt. Gov. Bill Hobby by refusing to show up at the Capitol.

The "Killer Bees," as the 12 became known, hid out in an Austin apartment while troopers, Rangers and legislative sergeants-at-arms unsuccessfully combed the state for them.

Craddick dubbed Monday's rebels "the Chicken Ds."

In 2001, Republicans in the Oregon House sent process servers to find Democrats who boycotted the Legislature over a GOP redistricting plan.

If you enjoyed reading about "Some Democrats are really scummy..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
QuickDraw
May 12, 2003, 08:55 PM
Couldn't get the link to work :confused:

QuickDraw

Carlos
May 12, 2003, 08:56 PM
Yup, those "cannot find server" pages really make me d#$*#(*ed mad too. :banghead:

WilderBill
May 12, 2003, 09:09 PM
Well, I don't rreally need the link to able to agree with that sentiment.
Who needs a party that will take more in taxes to take away your rights when the other guys will do it for less? :fire:

bobs1066
May 12, 2003, 09:57 PM
Something very similar to this happened in the Texas legislature about 1978 or so.

I've forgotten the details but there was a bunch called the "dirty thirty" that hared off to delay/prevent something. Since that was about the time that Wild Bill Clements was governor, it was probably a pack of Demos.

The game remains the same, only the names of the players change.....

Whoops, I should have read ALL of the news story. It was the Killer Bees. The Dirty Thirty was something different.

Chris Rhines
May 12, 2003, 10:16 PM
Waitasec...

A bunch of politicians prevent the legislature from meeting, and therby prevent them from passing laws? How is this a bad thing?

:D

- Chris

Don Gwinn
May 12, 2003, 11:00 PM
Where do people like this get the stones to talk about a "slap in the face to Texas voters?" If I'd elected a Republican legislature and the Democrats decided to leave rather than debate and vote, I'd be mad about a slap in my face, all right!

Art Eatman
May 13, 2003, 12:04 AM
Yeah, I recall the "Dirty 30". RabidDem anti-gun U.S. Rep. Lloyd Doggett was one of them. However, the revolt was not uncalled for. The legislation they were fighting was a giant shuck on the public--and that's about all I can recall...

This go-'round, re-districting is the issue. The Republicans, after many, many decades of being shafted, are bound to be playing "payback time". Texas Dems can dish it out, but just have never had to take it. Symptomatic of a nationwide problem for the DNC, really.

Teapot tempest. At some point they gotta show up or resign, SFAIK.

Art

Phantom Warrior
May 13, 2003, 12:11 AM
You'll notice in both the Texas case and the Oregon case it's Democrats ducking out "to protect the political process" when they are in the minority. You don't see Republicans whining like this when they are in the minority. *sigh*

Preacherman
May 13, 2003, 12:14 AM
I've edited the title of this thread. Not all Democrats are "scum" - there are some I'm proud to call my friends (and yes, they're pro-RKBA, too!). Please ensure that you don't tar everybody with the same brush. It gives unnecessary offence to those who don't qualify. I agree that these individuals are a few bricks short of a load in the ethics and morals department, but please don't condemn all Democrats because of their shortcomings. Remember that we take The High Road in all things, whenever possible.

Thanks for understanding.

pax
May 13, 2003, 12:25 AM
If the Democrats stay away through Thursday — the deadline for preliminary passage of House bills — they could derail major pending bills considered priorities by Republicans.
Wow, four whole days without any new and arbitrary laws and without taxes going up.

You'd think there'd be dancing in the streets!

pax

Every man's life, liberty, and property are in danger when the Legislature is in session. -- Daniel Webster

CZ-75
May 13, 2003, 12:56 AM
The (redacted) title of the thread may be justified, but this incident isn't the reason.

foghornl
May 13, 2003, 11:54 AM
There are a FEW good Demos, like Zell Miller (Georgia Rep, I think), but not many.

Last decent Demo President I remember was JFK. Term was cut short, so we will never know for sure, but he seemed to have pretty good ideas on things.

But, to get back to the original thread, it would be a good thing if some Demos in DC went and hid for the rest of their terms:neener:

cuchulainn
May 13, 2003, 12:07 PM
I'm just disgusted that the GOP would have the gall to replace Democratic-drawn gerrymanders with their own gerrymanders. Where do they get the nerve?!

;)

Henry Bowman
May 13, 2003, 03:42 PM
"I don't know where we're going. I don't know how we're going to get there," one Democratic lawmaker told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity

Pretty much sums it up. :neener:

foghornl
May 13, 2003, 04:04 PM
While visiting another board and reading about this same story, I had a wild idea.....

Since the Rangers and DPS guys can't arrest those folks hiding in Oklahoma, how about having the Houise Leadership or a State Level judge issue "Bench Arrest Warrants", like the city/county judges do everywhere if you don't show up for Jury Duty Roll Call. As I understand it, once a Bench Warrant is issued, you can be arrested in any state and "returned to presiding jurisdiction".

OK, OK....probably wouldn't work, or even be allowed, but it was fun to think about the expression on those dem-ole-RATS faces when they got busted....:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Kharn
May 13, 2003, 04:10 PM
They found one Democrat hiding in her apartment. Maybe two others were stupid enough to do the same, then the Republicans could get back to business. Once the gavel starts banging and all the democrats' pet bills start meeting the traschcan they will cause a traffic jam trying to get back to the statehouse.

Kharn

ahenry
May 13, 2003, 05:52 PM
Below are portions of letters I wrote to various individuals.

I am not a fan of redistricting and, following that general rule of thumb, would most likely not have been a proponent of this plan even though I understand the reason republicans chose to advance it. Democrats stuck it to republicans for years and years, yanking district lines this way and that in an effort to hold onto a majority of legislative seats while becoming a steadily increasing political minority within the state. With the new taste of majority power the republicans thought the time was again ripe to restructure districts into something less confining to their own party. One can hardly blame them although as I said, I dislike such political games. Regardless of ones feelings on redistricting in general or this redistricting bill specifically, the democrats have spit in the eye of every single Texan and I hope they are punished appropriately. Democrats didn’t even have the gumption to stand up and debate this issue on the floor of the House as protocol allows and the House schedule planned. There are important legislation issues that need to be dealt with and by absenting themselves from the legislature for the explicit purpose of holding the House hostage to their petty whims, democrats have hijacked the entire state, made a mockery of our representative democracy and have abused the authority vested in them by their constituents. It is my sincere hope that the appropriate steps are taken to punish these representatives and barring removal from office, I hope Texas voters remember this antic the next time to go to the polls.

Mr Kablammo
May 13, 2003, 08:29 PM
Frank Lautenberg and New Jersey. Remember, Dem.s and the elites are ontologically superiour beings. Hence, they need to obey the law, nor the intent of the electorate. Don't just sit there. Join the Texas Republican Party. Punish 'em where it counts. Money and votes.

vmi93
May 14, 2003, 08:14 AM
What do you expect from the party that supported slavery and Jim Crow, thought that the Communists and the Islamofascists would join the Rotary club if we were nice to them and who have repeatedly come out publicly in favor of perjury and treason?

The party that allows Ted Kennedy to represent them?

Friends don't let friends be Democrats.

243_shooter
May 14, 2003, 08:24 AM
They should drag 'em back in chains..

Leo

Art Eatman
May 14, 2003, 09:28 AM
I'd like to see a headline in the Alpine (TX) Avalanche saying, "Pete Gallego, come home. We found your leash!"

I hope that when these nattering children finally appear, their mothers crawl out from under the porch and bite.

Art

DRC
May 14, 2003, 01:27 PM
PUDDING! :)

The Democrats have held control in Texas for so long that when power shifts occur they can't handle it. Let me put that a different way. When power shifts occur the Democrats CAN'T handle it. They litterally have no clue as to what to do in these situations since it's been so long since they've had to do anything. The only thing they knew to do was "run away" so they did.

The things the Dems are doing, and not just in Texas state governement but all other states as well as Federal Governement, are just amazing. At this point I have no idea how they think this will help them and I have no idea why anyone would want to vote for a party that runs away from their responsibilities especially when it affects the lives of the Texans they claim to represent. I just don't get it.

What is the nation coming to?

DRC

Jim Diver
May 14, 2003, 02:12 PM
Rangers may not be able to bring them back, perhaps citizens can....

Citizens arrest has to be good for something after all.... Drag them back kicking and screaming.:cuss: :cuss:

mons meg
May 15, 2003, 05:55 PM
Citizens arrest has to be good for something after all....

Well, like it or not, they're in Ardmore, Oklahoma right now and as far as I know, not breaking any Oklahoma state laws. It may be hard to admit, but the Texas Dems's tactics are working.

Also, just because "the Democrats did it for years" doesn't mean the Republicans should do it. Two wrongs don't make a right....sheesh, it's barely 3 years after the census and they want to redistrict again?

Still, I admit it is pretty squirrely of them.

DRC
May 15, 2003, 08:04 PM
Hello mons meg,

"Also, just because "the Democrats did it for years" doesn't mean the Republicans should do it. Two wrongs don't make a right....sheesh, it's barely 3 years after the census and they want to redistrict again?"

If I'm not mistake, the Democrats have reset ditricts on many occasions after census were taken to keep them in power in Texas and it worked for the last 106 years. The Republicans are are setting the district line back to "fair" for both parties (now before anyone starts thinking that I'm all for this and that I actually think it is "fair" for Republicans to do this QUIT IT! :) This is the guise under which they are doing it but I'm sure it will align in a manner that will put more Republicans in set districts. However, it won't be anywhere near the mess the Democrats have kept districting in these past many years.

The Dems fled because they can't fight this without losing face and looking like fools, so they ran away to another state (like the adults they are ;) so they wouldn't have to do anything, to get their way.

Take care everyone,

DRC

mons meg
May 15, 2003, 11:51 PM
Well, just as long as a bunch of your fellow Texans don't think they form a posse and cross the Red River. :)

TexasVet
May 16, 2003, 12:23 AM
My Rep got a nasty (but polite) e-mail from me while I was in Jawja. Just got back. I HATE I-10! All near 2,000 miles roundtrip of it I have to drive to see the g'kids!
I don't think a republican has ever even run for the rep position since reconstruction around here. I let McReynolds know that he could count on having opposition in the next election, and I have just the sucker... er, candidate in mind. Gotta go call a friend and talk him into something.:D

WonderNine
May 16, 2003, 12:35 AM
Democrats are children.

foghornl
May 16, 2003, 10:53 AM
I thought of maybe a good campaign theme for the next election...
Have the candidate running against the Demo incumbent add something like this to ad materials:

Vote for Jane Q. Public-Citizen for your next Texas District XX Representative. She won't skip out to Ardmore, OK when things get tough. Jane will stay in Austin and slug it out for you.

Just a Wild-hair of an idea, but if I was running for a seat in TX against a skip-out Demo incumbent,, somehow that would get mentioned. And if those Dem-Ole-RATS used taxpayer $$$ to fund this little [ahem] vacation......

DRC
May 16, 2003, 01:02 PM
I did get a bit more information on redistricting. The redistricting actually came up for vote in 2001 but was filabustered by Dems at that time. 2001 was the set year for redrawing of district lines. The Republicans brought in the Supreme court to make a ruling on the legality of the Democrat block and new district lines. It was ruled that the new district lines were legitimate and the Democratic block was ruled against which leads us to now. The Dems had no choice other than to run away to another state since legally it was ruled a vote would have to be made and the Republicans had the votes to pass it. What the Dems did is illegal by Texas state law so I do hope they face repercussions (although I doubt they will)

The saddest part of the whole ordeal is that they will probably be touted as being heroic in their flight and built up to be the "good" in "Good vs. Evil" even though they are law breakers. Oh well.

Take care,

DRC

BAB
May 16, 2003, 02:29 PM
The saddest part of the whole ordeal is that they will probably be touted as being heroic in their flight and built up to be the "good" in "Good vs. Evil" even though they are law breakers. Oh well.

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/wire/sns-ap-texas-legislature-rebellion,0,1608971.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines

Texas Democrats Leave Okla., Return Home

By ANGELA K. BROWN
Associated Press Writer

May 16, 2003, 11:08 AM EDT

AUSTIN, Texas -- Runaway Texas Democrats returned to a heroes' welcome at the Capitol on Friday after their self-imposed exile in Oklahoma killed a redistricting bill they hated. Legislative business in the House of Representatives resumed.

"Welcome home, Texas heroes," one sign read as the lawmakers stepped up to the Capitol to cheers and applause from like-minded citizens. The Democrats stood momentarily, smiling and waving at the exuberant crowd, some wearing yellow ribbons.

"We've weathered a few things. We've weathered some troopers; we've weathered a tornado, and we weathered Denny's," said Democrat Jim Dunnum, who emerged as the group's ringleader. "No matter what happens, democracy won in this event."

The revolt killed a divisive congressional redistricting bill that would have created more Republican seats.

The 51 exiled Democrats congratulated each other for enduring four days away from a Republican-dominated Texas House chamber and avoiding the reach of state troopers who were ordered to round them up for blocking legislative business. There must be a quorum -- 100 of the 150 House members -- for the House to do business.

"Thank you, you've saved us!" one onlooker shouted to a lawmaker as he walked by.

The House session convened at 9 a.m., with a quorum present at last. Republicans who had seethed at the Democrats' walkout sat quietly at their desks as their colleagues streamed in to loud applause from spectators in the gallery.

Earlier, as the Democrats' two charter buses pulled up to the Capitol, Rep. Pete Gallego said, "Hey, guys -- be proud of yourselves. We really made a difference."

The buses had departed late Thursday from a hotel in Ardmore, Okla., 30 miles north of the Texas state line, just before the redistricting bill died in Austin as a midnight deadline passed.

"It feels good. It's good to be back," said Democrat Rep. Garnet Coleman. "We're tired and we slept some. And we should be ready to continue working on the floor today. We have bills on the calendar."

Eighteen days remain in the regular session. Important issues such as homeowners insurance reform and passing revenue-generating bills to help a $9.9 billion budget shortfall can still be addressed through Senate legislation, amendments and other tools not affected by Thursday's deadline, Democrats say.

Meanwhile, the federal Department of Homeland Security said it had been drawn into the four-day standoff when a Texas law officer indicated that a plane carrying Democrats might have crashed.

The call to Homeland Security was placed Monday, when Texas Republicans were desperately seeking the Democrats' whereabouts. The Homeland Security Department said in a statement that it did not use its aircraft in response.

State Rep. Pete Laney, who was on the plane that safely landed in Oklahoma, questioned why federal agents were called.

"I just think it's a strange use of assets," Laney said. "I'm curious as to why a federal agency would involve themselves to this extent in a state issue."

Tom Vinger, a Public Safety spokesman, declined to comment. White House spokesman Scott McClellan refused to say whether he believes it would have been appropriate for Homeland Security to be used to round up Texas Democrats.

Copyright © 2003, The Associated Press

Boats
May 16, 2003, 02:45 PM
What I found most amusing during this charade was when I happened to catch Pete Gallego on CNN's Inside Politics, comparing their actions to the defense of the Alamo. Curious, but I don't remember the part of the Alamo saga wherein the defenders fled from Texas to what became Oklahoma to avoid being massacred.:confused:

George Hill
May 16, 2003, 03:06 PM
This is just REASON # 238957203

DRC
May 16, 2003, 04:54 PM
After I posted I opened my AOL and there it was. :(

These people are state law breakers, not heros. The reason they ran away with their tales between their legs is because they didn't have a leg to stand on where the vote was concerned on redistricting. They ran because they had nothing else (which pretty much defines the rest of the Democratic parties message)

Oh well, I'll do my part by voting against Democrats.

Take care,

DRC

If you enjoyed reading about "Some Democrats are really scummy..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!