Sig 228

PDA

JaxNovice
September 19, 2006, 04:48 PM
Made a series of horse trades over the past week and just went and picked up a brand new Sig 228. I keep staring at it and cleaning it. Cant wait to shoot it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig 228" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
OH25shooter
September 19, 2006, 05:14 PM
Brand new 228's are hard to find. If it's a tank like my 229, you've done well. I found a new 9mm 226 for $675. Very tempting...very.

Black Majik
September 19, 2006, 06:09 PM
Wow, you got yourself a keeper. Those stamped slide compacts are one heckuva gun!

Clean, lube it, drop a snapcap in there and keep dryfiring it. You'll be quite amazed how smooth it comes out to be over time. :)

hnk45acp
September 19, 2006, 07:56 PM
Congrats! The trigger on those smooth out very nicely. The 228 grip is the only Sig I feel comfortable with. I shot a tiny group DAO with my buddy's 228. It was the first time I'd ever shot a 228 and couldn't believe it!. I keep hounding him to sell it to me.

JaxNovice
September 19, 2006, 08:01 PM
The trigger is really nice. This was expensive enough that my contsant shopping for pistols is over for a while. Traded and gave up some $$ for it. It is funny that the Sigs dont really look all that sexy, but man they feel good.

Old Dog
September 20, 2006, 05:00 AM
They'll grow on ya ... I'm a die-hard 1911 guy, but I love the 226 and the 228 ... great-feelin' pistols, as reliable as they come, and accurate as hell.

mmike87
September 20, 2006, 08:05 AM
If you pop the grips off you can do a decent clean and lube job on the trigger internals without disassembling the rest of the gun. I put a light coat of tetra grease on all my SIG trigger internals and it makes a difference.

I also purchased replacement Wolf mainsprings for all my SIGs. Replacing the one on the 228 is a bit of a pain compared to the "newer" SIG pistols, but it's not hard. I bought springs one step down in weight from the factory springs and it lightened the DA pull a little bit. I have shot two three-day pistol classes with my P228 and have not had a failure to fire with the reduced power spring.

Congrats on a great gun. You'll love it. Just keep the stamped steel well oiled to prevent rust!

JaxNovice
September 20, 2006, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I started a new thread this moring about the experience and lesson I learned about buying one. I woke up this morning thinking "man I got hosed in that transaction" but then I went into my closet and pulled it out while my wife was still asleep and just smiled while looking at it.

bluto
September 20, 2006, 12:26 PM
Many Sig enthusiasts think that the P228 is theeee best Sig ever made in ANY caliber. Finding one NIB is becoming harder and harder because it's not made for the civilian market anymore. I don't know what you traded for your P228 but I wouldn't second guess myself. The last new Sig 228 that I saw for sale out here was going for $850. It was gone in two days.

I personally think my 228 is the best balanced 9mm I've ever shot. I'd never consider selling it.

I posted this 25yd. target recently as an example of Sig accuracy in general and the P228 in particular. When you consider the whole package: reliability, quality, accuracy its hard to beat a Sig.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=219927

JaxNovice
September 20, 2006, 12:32 PM
Bluto-Any reason why the 228 is not made anymore?

HorseSoldier
September 20, 2006, 01:20 PM
I think (may be wrong) they dropped the 228 in favor of the 229 because the 229 is less expensive to manufacture the slides for :confused:

They're about the same size, but I have to agree that the 228 just feels great in the hand. The weight distribution on the 229 with the heavier slide does not feel as good to me.

bluto
September 21, 2006, 12:05 AM
Well, AFAIK the 228 is still available in europe and is still being supplied to the military (designated the M11). HorseSoldier may be correct. I also think that the move to produce Sigs here in the U.S. may have had something to do with it. The P229 and all currently available Sig models (now mostly American made - and of equal quality to the German made ones) come with a milled stainless steel slide instead of the older style stamped and rolled steel slide. I guess they could have produced the 228 with the milled slide, but the 229 (for most) fills the same niche and can also shoot .40 and .357 Sig calibers.

I'm with the group of Sig enthusiasts who feel that (for me) the 228 balances like no other pistol I've handled. So getting a new one before they're all gone seems like a good choice even if you had to pay a lot for it. I should add though that there are just as many Sig enthusiasts who feel the same way about their 229's.

Beware, Sig's are addictive.

pablo45
September 21, 2006, 12:57 AM
Bought mine last saturday and took it shooting sunday. Wow! it was an excellent feel and a great gun. I even like it better then my p229. Good choice partner.

JaxNovice
September 21, 2006, 08:35 AM
Thanks for all of the encouragement. IT feels like the type of firearms that I will have for a long time. Initially I had some buyers remorse because of the cost, but after yesterdays range session I am happy as a clam.

DRMMR02
September 21, 2006, 08:50 AM
It sucks if you make the purchase but can't get any range time in right then. Those few days from getting the gun in hand, and firing it are some of the hardest days ever. I do the same thing you do. When I got my P99, i couldn't put it down. I'd even have it in a holster on me while I was watching TV or on the net.

Dave P
September 21, 2006, 08:54 AM
So you told us this story a couple of days ago in another post. Are you going to post another one for us to read tomorrow, too? I can't wait. :confused:

Ala Dan
September 21, 2006, 08:56 AM
As most persons here well know, my two favorite SIG classic P-series
pistols are the .45 caliber P220A and the 9m/m P228. Both of mine are
of the West German variety; with the P228 being a very early 1990*
model.

* FootNote: The SIG-SAUER P228 wasn't even introduced until 1989.

SAG0282
September 24, 2006, 12:36 AM
Excellent buy.......I love mine!

SigfanUSAF
September 24, 2006, 12:46 AM
I'll go with the P228 is the best Sig concensus. I just sold mine to buy more AR stuff. Should have dropped a 220 instead. 13 rounds of +p is more than ample for carry. I had a KA code (90) two tone. I miss it. The only Sig I've owned that felt even better was the 225. The grip is AWESOME, just couldn't deal with the low capacity of a single stack 9mm. The 228 and 229 frame is dimensionally identical, but I agree the heavy slide and redesign of the 229s slide are its downfalls.

If you enjoyed reading about "Sig 228" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!