Help with "long range" handgun shooting.

PDA

possum
September 19, 2006, 07:05 PM
Alright I am gonna finally try it. I have been shooting my 4" service model xd alot and i am very comfortable with it from 3 to 25yds, and just for fun want to try to shoot out to 50yds, and that's it for now. i plan to shoot from the prone with a sandbag support. I will not regularly practice this just want to try it a few times. All the post about it and articles latley have me wondering if i can do it. so does anyone know what the hold over will be? i use military e-type shillouets, so i was thinking aimming where the shoulders of the target are, and that should hit approx. center mass or a little below. any help would be much appreciated.my main goal is to get 10 out of 10 on the e-type for now anyway and maybe try to tighten it up later! Thanks a bunch!:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with "long range" handgun shooting." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
EdLaver
September 19, 2006, 07:29 PM
I think if you can just hit the paper from 50 yards is an accomplishment. I tried it and I wasnt so much as concerned with hitting the silhouette on the paper, but just the paper itself. Made the perception of the whole idea alot easier to achieve:)

Majic
September 19, 2006, 08:26 PM
50 yards shouldn't be no more than a couple of inches of drop. Aim for the "X" and see where you bullet prints. And get up off your belly and stand on your own 2 feet. It's not that difficult. Just take your time and concentrate on the basics.

C-grunt
September 19, 2006, 10:29 PM
Using a rest, my friends and I shoot our handguns at 100 yards every couple months. With my G23 I can usualy keep about 50-75% of my rounds on target. My friend with his Springer 1911, can usually keep almost all his rounds on target.

We never tried at 50 yards, except with my Walther P22, but if your XD is near as accurate as mine was, you shouldnt have a problem.

MCgunner
September 19, 2006, 10:39 PM
Metallic Silhouette is a fun, at least for a while. I sorta bored of it before I mastered it, like plinking I reckon. You use an adjustable, repeatable dial type rear sight and have pre-determined settings for each range. Best I ever got is about 36 out of 40. You fire at 50 yard chickens, 100 yard pigs, 150 yard turkeys, and 200 yard rams. Funny thing, I always found the turkeys at 150 yards the toughest. Helps to have a spotter, actually, itís pretty much a necessity.

Itís fun to watch the good shooters knock down 40 in a row. Guy that got me into it and his wife were big into it. That woman was GOOD! Shooting a perfect match was almost routine for her. She usually out-shot him. LOL! They did have some fancy hand rifles. I was just shooting my Contender. I never did quite figure out the class structure. There was usually some folks shooting scoped guns at these things. I shot "production" and there was a revolver category.

Ditchtiger
September 19, 2006, 10:48 PM
A 55 gallon steel drum at 250yrds. is a fun target. 2-3ft. hold-over, 33% hits average, I have hit 6 in a row with .357 and a .44mag. but it's not often. The drum make a good thud-ping when hit. This is using my own cast lead bullets, jacketed bullets should do better as I shooot all the bullets I cast but for misformed ones.

If you enjoyed reading about "Help with "long range" handgun shooting." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!