CX4 & XD Deflowered

PDA

SuperNaut
September 19, 2006, 08:44 PM
Just got back from the range after feeding 250 rounds each through my new CX4 and XD both in .45. To say I was impressed would be an understatement.

Everything I've read about the XD is true; accurate, comfortable, reliable (so far), and FUN! I think it is going to rank up there with my favorites, a little too early to tell but it made a strong showing. I've been doing a lot of dry-firing and I changed my hold to the high-thumb grip and it made a huge improvement to my accuracy and recovery.

Really dug the Storm. I've read some knocks on the Storm's "purpose" as well as some problems with the mags dropping. I didn't have a single issue. The Storm seems pretty accurate at this point. I was only at the handgun pit and it is only 50' but I was putting all 8 rounds in the small corner circles. This is with no adjustments whatsoever to the stock sights. I can't wait to try it with a good red-dot at greater distance.

I bought the XD based mostly on what I read here on THR: so good advice everyone. I bought the CX4 because I wanted a .45 carbine that looked a little scary, little did I know it would be so much fun to shoot. I figure in a Katrina-esque scenario having a carbine that looks scary may be enough for people to keep their distance. The fact that I'd only have to carry one type of very popular ammo is just icing on the cake.

No, I take that back. The icing on the cake is that it is a riot to shoot!

Thanks to Larry at FBMG for hooking me up. I've got a couple of keepers.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "CX4 & XD Deflowered" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
possum
September 19, 2006, 08:54 PM
Sounds like a great day at the range. You have a great handgun and i think one of the best carbines out there in a pistol caliber. i have had only experiece with the 9mm variety of the storm but really enjoyed it and plan to add one to the collection one day!

Everything I've read about the XD is true; accurate, comfortable, reliable (so far), and FUN!

yes we have another happy xd owner !:D

just wait till you put a 1000rds or so more through the xd and the trigger starts to get real sweet!

Run&Shoot
September 19, 2006, 09:05 PM
What type of mag does the Storm take in .45? Anything common?

SuperNaut
September 19, 2006, 09:14 PM
The manual says that it takes 92 mags, but that can't be right for the .45. Additionally Beretta says that they have an 18 round mag coming out soon. MecGar is usually pretty quick to get compatible mags tooled up as well.

I definitely want more than 8 rounds. That actually segues into my one complaint so far: The mag well on the Storm needs some work, it is not funneled and the bottom of the grip extends beyond the base of the mag. I have a theory that the mag dropping problems are actually due to this issue. It isn't easy to just slap a mag in, you have to negotiate a sizeable inner lip and then click it in with your thumb on the bottom of the mag base. Otherwise it doesn't fully lock.

Mr. Ouchie
September 19, 2006, 09:20 PM
I bought some rubber pads for the bottom of the mags, makes a world of difference.

SuperNaut
September 19, 2006, 10:42 PM
Were the pads different rubber base pads, or just some rubber to add thickness to the base?

Mr. Ouchie
September 20, 2006, 01:37 AM
Pachmayr rubber stick on pads - http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=162508

Apparently there are replacement base plates available somewhere as well but the stick-ons were cheap.

10-Ring
September 20, 2006, 01:38 AM
Sounds like someone had some fun!

If you enjoyed reading about "CX4 & XD Deflowered" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!