New Sig, Older Night Sights

PDA

September 20, 2006, 02:55 AM
Just got a new P229 9mm from a out of state vendor I've done lots of business with. I was a little surprised when I noticed the date on my Trijicons is '04. Is this normal for Sig?

If you enjoyed reading about "New Sig, Older Night Sights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Autolycus
September 20, 2006, 03:59 AM
Probably. Usually they sit in the box and our sold. I think you will be fine. But you might try asking at www.sigforum.com

OH25shooter
September 20, 2006, 11:31 AM
I think the life span on those night sights are advertised at 10-12 years. If you're like the rest of us gunowners, it'll be sold/traded away well before the expiration date. The 10 year old 229 I bought used had the same sights. They were terrible. The "night glow" was gone. Had to be replaced.

AK103K
September 20, 2006, 11:46 AM
I've bought a couple of older SIG's that had the old style Trijicon sights on them. While they were old and small, they still had enough glow in them for use. They were about half as bright as the new Mepro's I replaced them with.

If you have a couple of SIG's, its worth picking up the sight tool. The MGW tool is exactly like the SIG tool and a good bit cheaper. It lets you swap out the sights and adjust them. You can pick up new Mepro's on the web for $60-80/set, and sell the old ones on EBay.

knoxx45
September 20, 2006, 12:04 PM
You can pick up new Mepro's on the web for $60-80/set, and sell the old ones on EBay.

But before you buy, beware. I bought a set of Mepro's form someone on ebay and while they were exactly as advertised, new, in package, etc, they were from a seller in Isreal who did not specify where they were located. It took 18 days to get my new sights. Now I know that this was my fault for not doing my homework, but I'm just giving you all a heads up.

September 20, 2006, 12:44 PM
Emailed Sig and the gun was made in late '04 and shipped to the dealer/distributor in Feb '05. I'm surprised it sat on a shelf that long.

AK103K
September 20, 2006, 04:49 PM
I got mine from Arizona Gun Runners. If you do a web search, you can usually come up with a good deal somewhere with a little looking.

1 old 0311
September 20, 2006, 05:47 PM
Night sights have a HALF LIFE of 12 years. That means in ABOUT 12 years it will be 1/2 as bright. Another 12, or so years 1/2 again. I just sold a G19 that I put night sights on in 1993. They still seemed as bright as when new.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Sig, Older Night Sights" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!