Shot Gun newbie, Mossberg 500C

PDA

hlpdobro
September 20, 2006, 01:40 PM
I've got a squirrel infestation issue around my trucks and have decided that 22LR is not the tool for the problem.

Contemplating a used Mossberg 500C, 20GA. from the local pawnshop.

An appropriate tool for the task? If so, what should I look for when inspecting?

Want to suggest appropriate ammo?

Many thanks in advance.

hp

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot Gun newbie, Mossberg 500C" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Exmasonite
September 20, 2006, 01:50 PM
any reasons why the .22lr is not the tool for the job? i love my savage mk II for the occasional squirrel.

foghornl
September 20, 2006, 01:57 PM
Mossberg makes very good solid serviceable shotguns.

My recommendation for squirrels is #5 or #6 shot, mod or tighter choke, depending on range. High brass loads, but "magnum" loads not needed.

Look at the barrel to check for bulges, swelling, and internal corrosion/rust.

Work the action a few times to see if all feels smooth.

Shop owner probably won't let any live ammo near the gun, but you can poke a finger into the loading port and make sure the mag follower isn't stuck.

If it has been setting around the shop for a while, will probably need a good cleaning and lube.

So, if all feels right, buy it, then try to wear it out...You probably can't..altough maybe your great-great grandkids might be able to do so.

hlpdobro
September 20, 2006, 02:39 PM
any reasons why the .22lr is not the tool for the job? i love my savage mk II for the occasional squirrel.

Ahhh, well

1. I'd feel more comfortable using a shotgun on that part of the property.

2. I need a new toy. :)

hp

Dave McCracken
September 20, 2006, 10:04 PM
The Mossberg oumps are good shotguns with long track records.

For tree rats, I like 6s or 5s, and tight chokes. No 3" loads, field loads will do fine.

Have fun, be safe and read the archives for recipes.....

borrowedtime69
September 20, 2006, 10:58 PM
I bought one last fall, full size 20 ga 28" barrel with the three size chokes. later i found out i could order the Persuader 18 1/2" barrel for home defense. so now i keep the short barrel on it at home and take the plug out for a full mag. when its hunting time i put the other barrel on and put in the magazine plug.

I really like the 20 ga cause of its lighter recoil, got a bad back. if i ever try for squirrels with it (i mostly use .22's) i would use 7 or 7 1/2 shot size.

for home defense i load it with 000 buck, rifled slugs, or #2 shot.

So, in summary, 2 thumbs up for the Mossy 20 ga!!! -Eric

The Deer Hunter
September 21, 2006, 08:55 PM
Get a pellet gun.

You dont need a shotgun for killing squirrels.

Better yet get that new pellet gun that is also a shotgun.

I think its remington brand.

Farmer Jon
November 10, 2008, 02:50 PM
I have a mossberg 500 20Ga deer and field combo and I love it. You can use it for any thing it seems like. By the way they are on sale at Dick's right now for $249!

ATAShooter
November 10, 2008, 04:38 PM
Use a bow with 100gr broadheads. Really nasty on a squirrel. Or even better yet,... get a Bowfishing outfit and reel'em back in after you pop 'em. Instant shishkabob..:neener:

If you enjoyed reading about "Shot Gun newbie, Mossberg 500C" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!