Good rifle for squirrel?

PDA

Betty
May 13, 2003, 12:35 AM
http://www.olegvolk.net/newphotos/tn2/runt-50bmg.jpg

:p

If you enjoyed reading about "Good rifle for squirrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Duke of Lawnchair
May 13, 2003, 12:38 AM
Those pesky squirrels...

Too wiley for me.

bernie
May 13, 2003, 12:39 AM
Wow, that makes me think that the 405 gr. .45-70 loads I am using on them may be slightly under gunning for the little tree rats.

WilderBill
May 13, 2003, 12:50 AM
I promise I will try not to act even the lest bit squilly when you are holding that!!! :D

Bruce H
May 13, 2003, 01:06 AM
Anything less than a perfect head shot will just upset them. Remember always use enough gun.

Preacherman
May 13, 2003, 01:11 AM
I think that would be too much length-of-pull for the average squirrel... they usually need the stock a little shorter than that.

:evil: :neener: :D

Bowlcut
May 13, 2003, 01:49 AM
hmmmm well considering these TN squirrel's....you might want atleast armor pericing...maybe explovies. OH yea make sure you are fireing from the hip....they wont respect you any other way

Politically Incorrect
May 13, 2003, 01:49 AM
I was thinking the same thing Preacherman.

What's the squirrel intend to use with the rifle? Hunting? Plinking? Counter-Sniper? :D

Sactown
May 13, 2003, 02:05 AM
Suuuweeeeeeeeeet!!
If I could only afford light field artillery.

tex_n_cal
May 13, 2003, 03:12 AM
And if you miss the shock wave from the bullet will probably field dress them, anyway:eek: :D

Dr.Rob
May 13, 2003, 04:26 AM
Well you've obviously never had a wounded , enraged squirrel turn rogue. Lucky for you I never miss.

I'd worry about overpenetration though, I'm thinking 24 inches of oak might not be enough backstop.

sm
May 13, 2003, 04:48 AM
I get to use the new word I learned from Art.

"Misty"

There would be a "mistiness" in the air after the shot.

Hey Art, I think the word is qualified here--huh? See I was paying attn.

Wade
May 13, 2003, 08:32 AM
re1973,

You owe me a new keyboard; I'll never get all the diet coke out of this one :D

El Tejon
May 13, 2003, 08:55 AM
Hmmm, maybe for Land of Orange squirrels that eat a lot of Jimmy Dean sausage???:confused:

Art Eatman
May 13, 2003, 10:01 AM
Tejon, them thar Dimmy Jean puke poor saus linkages will grow tremenjous big squirrels! You find them at the Hoggly Woggly or the A & Poo Feed Store...

:D, Art

larryw
May 13, 2003, 12:03 PM
I've been spending way too much time here: first thing I thought when I read the title of this thread was a M95 should fit the bill...

foghornl
May 13, 2003, 12:59 PM
Squirrels from where ? ? ? ?

goon
May 13, 2003, 11:06 PM
Anything less than a perfect head shot will just upset them. Remember always use enough gun.

Well, you never know.
I have seen the little beasts take full bore hits from a shotgun, and still hit the ground and run. They are tougher than you would think.
So are porcupines. I once saw one take a hit with a .410 slug at about twenty feet. It just got up and kept walking, and it took another shot to finish it.
I have alot of respect for wild animals. You almost have to hunt them to understand how tough they can be.

Marko Kloos
May 13, 2003, 11:12 PM
Day-umn. I know you're supposed to "always use enough gun", but that's a bit excessive for a treerat. :D

SquirrelNuts
May 14, 2003, 12:34 AM
Why is everyone always picking on us poor defenseless squirrels?

-SquirrelNuts

Feanaro
May 14, 2003, 01:06 AM
Not nearly enough my boy! You had best invest in 20MM anti-aircraft machine guns. They move like lightning and they can take anything from 22LR to 50BMG bullets in the eyes and still keep coming!

cracked butt
May 14, 2003, 02:02 AM
Your best bet is to 'bark' the squirrel like they did in the old days. They would aim at the bark under the squirrel, and the bark shrapnel would kill or stun the squirrel, and the hunter could recover the ball to be melted down and recast. In your case, aiming for the center of the tree trunk within a few feet of the squirrel should do.:evil:

QuarterBoreGunner
May 14, 2003, 02:22 AM
Damn.

What kind of squirrels do you have out there?

And runt? That picture reminds me of the coyote going after the roadrunner for some reason.

oh and by the way.... this is why I love THR.

Ya'll rock.

twoblink
May 14, 2003, 02:25 AM
Runt..

In the PRK, Feinstein says that most people will carry that and try to rob a Stop-N-Rob with that.. yeah right!

hehehe.. Squirrel SPRAY!!

45R
May 14, 2003, 02:26 AM
Nice gun...she must be hunting that "fat squirrel" from the Honda commercial.

Hey Runt-
Bend at the knee's otherwise you could hurt your back. :D :D :D Great Picture!!!

seeker_two
May 14, 2003, 10:51 AM
I think that would be too much length-of-pull for the average squirrel... they usually need the stock a little shorter than that.

I don't know. That one seems pretty comfortable w/ it...:evil:

duckfoot
May 14, 2003, 02:37 PM
I'm glad to report that the angry squirrel attacks in NC have dropped in the last month or so, but the killings by Deadly White Rabbits is on the rise. Arty Units from Camp Lejeune and Fort Bragg have deployed to engage the deadly animals with 105mm and 155mm howitzers in direct fire action. The battle is at a standstill at the moment, but military leaders on site said that the out come is looking better with each passing hour.

This is Dick Flatfoot for PNN

Frohickey
May 14, 2003, 03:52 PM
ROTL, I think that you are still outgunned. When this guy and his buddies come looking for you, you had best have backup. :D

akanotken
May 14, 2003, 07:52 PM
Most of the squirrel around here are bigger than that. You'll spend a lot of time swaging the tree rats down. But it's worth it when you do. I launch mine over 400 grains of blue dot. Get about 900 fps for a nice subsonic load :neener:

But the real fun is when you use them in the slower burning blackpowder rifles :evil:

glockten
May 15, 2003, 12:07 PM
Runt,

Have you shot it yet?

BowStreetRunner
May 15, 2003, 09:29 PM
that gun will be great for squirrel as long as you dont want to eat any
:)

Crimper-D
May 15, 2003, 11:40 PM
If that thing don't do the job, you'd better switch to belt-fed!
I'd suggest an M19 mounted on a Humvee! - Better yet, call in an airstrike.:evil:

natedog
May 16, 2003, 01:53 AM
[Russianaccent/]Now that we have flying squirrel, what will we do with moose? [Russianaccent/] ;)

SkaerE
May 16, 2003, 02:10 PM
i dont know,

some squirrels around here are pretty tough...

http://www.linuxcowboy.org/~slacker/carp/gallery/Wonderboy242_t1000.jpg

SkaerE
May 16, 2003, 02:18 PM
there we go...

Feanaro
May 17, 2003, 04:39 PM
You gotta get 'em in both eyes. ;)

Mike Irwin
May 17, 2003, 09:10 PM
This thread goes well with the recent thread on "barking" squirrels.

"Gotta get them in both eyes..."

No no no. That's only if it's an evil squirrel that's escaped from hell, your name is Stone, and you've made a deal with Satan to send all of the escaped evil squirrels back so you can get a second crack at the B&C No. 1 buck you missed last year...

Feanaro
May 18, 2003, 02:03 AM
Well I thought everyone here fit that description. I fear for the poor souls who don't Satan's help....

If you enjoyed reading about "Good rifle for squirrel?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!