Springfield V10

PDA

todd-45
September 20, 2006, 10:22 PM
I've been carrying a Sig 229 and recently bought a Sig GSR 1911 full size. I find it a little big compared to the 229. I've seen a SA V10. What do you good folks think about it. It's small, looks great for CCW.

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield V10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
10-Ring
September 20, 2006, 10:36 PM
Isn't the V10 their gov't model w/ ported barrel & slide? :confused:

Sylvilagus Aquaticus
September 21, 2006, 01:17 AM
IIRC it's a micro model in stanless with a ported barrel and dust cover. Anecdotally, I've heard of a few failure to feed/failure to extract problems, but I think that they tend to be a result of two things- insufficient lubrication and improper grip/limp-writing.

I like the little, short 1911's.

Regards,
Rabbit.

XDKingslayer
September 21, 2006, 11:06 AM
It depends if you're talking about the 1911 V10 or the XD V10.

The XD V10 has been known to crack the slide where the ports are. Haven't heard any bad about the 1911 V10.

Master Blaster
September 21, 2006, 11:22 AM
I had one got rid of it.

The ports do nothing but make the muzzle blast much worse.
I had a V10 champion. the muzzle blast was very unpleasant at the range, i was much less accurate than my fullsize 1911s, and no easier to conceal due to the full size grip frameon the champion model.
I replaced it with a Colt Officers acp which I found easier to carry and more pleasant to shoot.
.45 ACP has very little muzzle flip or recoil anyway comapred to other centerfire calibers.
The ports could throw junk up into your eyes when you are firing the gun in a close quarters encounter.

JMHO YMMV

Kruzr
September 21, 2006, 11:50 AM
I've got an UC V10. It was very problematic and did the Genesco shuffle twice to no avail. I finally replaced the link, polished the ramp, chamber and barrel throat, went to a 20# recoil spring, filed down the front sight, got rid of the knife like edges on the bottom of the slide and now it works fine. It's not much of a target shooter and it would be the last gun I would carry. If you ever have to fire immediately at the holster presentation, you would burn your armpits!

There is also the flash to consider in the dark. When I shoot the gun in daylight, I don't even notice the flash. In the dark, it will cause a few seconds of night blindness as your eye readusts from the flash.

It does cause other shooters to come see what all the noise is coming from.....they are a bit louder than a non-ported .45.

Not a gun I would buy again.

dot 43
September 21, 2006, 10:08 PM
Had a Champion V10, and the thing that sticks with me about it is that every time I fired it, it felt like somebody flicked my glasses right on the bridge of my nose. They just violently bounced from the porting throwing gas back at me. I just couldn't take the crap flying back at me, including the occasional shaved bit of jacket.

When I got it, it shot low. Bottom of the paper at seven yards if I'm lucky kind of low. Sent it back to Springfield, and they fixed that under warranty, so I can't cuss their customer service, even if the fixed rear sight that left me with is taller than most of my adjustable sights. Heck, it was taller than some of my scope mounts.

Was it all bad? No. I never had a reliability issue, and once the sight got fixed, it shot fairly well. Also, I must admit there's something to be said for a carry gun which will make you cry if you ever have to shoot it.

As always, YMMV.

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield V10" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!