shotgun mounting

PDA

busterbrown
September 21, 2006, 12:44 AM
50 years ago my grandfather, an able hunter, stored his double barrel, overunder, and 22 rifle upside down on a horizontal wall rack. He gave a good reason for this but I don't remember his wisdom. Anybody know why this may be desirable?

If you enjoyed reading about "shotgun mounting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gezzer
September 21, 2006, 01:57 AM
Best way to store them. The oil will not run into the head of the stock to soften & rot the wood.

LaEscopeta
September 22, 2006, 09:14 AM
My HD shotgun is stored upside down on a horizontal wall rack, mounted up near the ceiling out of sight. It is upside down so when I reach up with the strong side (trigger) hand Iím grasping the stock just behind the receiver in the normal way (four fingers on bottom of stock, thumb on top.) If the gun is stored right side up in the rack you have to move your hand to get the correct grip once you take the gun down. For me itís a middle-of-the-night-adrenaline-rush-less-manipulation-is-better sort of thing.

(OK, after taking the gun down I still have to move my index finger to be on receiver and move my thumb to the side of the stock to get the correct firing grip, but that is a lot less than having to release to flip my hand around.)

If you enjoyed reading about "shotgun mounting" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!