Legality surroundign vest and firearms

PDA

Smiley
May 13, 2003, 01:16 AM
Does anyone know about legalities surrounding wearing a bullet "resistent" vest while CCW? I have just been curious since a friend of mine was talking about getting a vest to wear while on a guard job that uses firearms.

I purchased one long ago just because you couldn't beat the price and I was tempted to wear to the range I frequented at the time with all the yahoos who couldn't keep their muzzles pointed downrange.

Is there anything forbidding wearing a vest while carrying a firearm?

If you enjoyed reading about "Legality surroundign vest and firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rock jock
May 13, 2003, 01:25 AM
Is there anything forbidding wearing a vest while carrying a firearm?
Check your state laws. In most states, bullet-resistant vests are legal and can be worn. The downside is they are generally very uncomfortable. I have only tried a Level III vest on once and can't imagine wearing it all day.

CZ-75
May 13, 2003, 02:14 AM
I believe that if you go down a level, say level II, you can get concealable panel type ballistic armor that conceals under clothing.

Downsides are reduced level of protection and possibly that there may be gaps or weak areas, such as the sides. No idea about comfort, but something tells me Kevlar isn't Gore-Tex and doesn't breathe well.

Jim March
May 13, 2003, 03:01 AM
There are a few states that ban their use/ownership by convicted felons, but none that I'm aware of anywhere in the US which ban them for the law-abiding.

Australia is another story :rolleyes:. And some parts of Europe I think.

Double Naught Spy
May 13, 2003, 03:28 AM
I can't recall any particular laws that stipulate a restriction to not wear a ballistic vests while doing the concealed carry thing. As noted, there may be some states that don't allow civilians to have vests, but those laws are not tied to ccw.

As for Smiley's friend and his guard job, I know some states allow guards to be certified (or whatever it is called) to be able to legally carry as part of the job itself. Here in Texas, that comes with some specific classes.

So Smiley, what do you use your vest for if not part of a job or wearing to the range? Wearing to the range is an excellent idea, because of the yahoos you mentioned. After all, in just how many other situations have you been in where you knew people were pointing loaded guns at you? In my experience as a non-LEO, it only happens at the range.

Rockjock, no doubt a Level III vest would not be very comfortable to wear. The ceramic plates are bulky and unforgiving. Level IIIA vests are another matter. They are the next step down from III, are soft armor containing no plates.

Just an aside about wearing at the range and out in public, I was coming home from the range a few months back when I got stopped for speeding. I did all the normal and proper procedural things and had my hands in plain sight on the door with an open window. As the officer approached, he saw my ballistic vest peeking out from my concealment vest and immediately moved flush with the rear pillar of the car. After things got explained and the officer was writing me a speeding ticket, he asked why I thought I needed a ballistic vest. I explained that it was for the same reason he did when he shoots at th range with his fellow officers and then asked if he would feel comfortable with those people while firing at the range. He never answered my question. I went on to explain that the vest was imply another piece of safety gear just like shooting glasses, muffs, proper clothing and shoes.

I really do find it amusing that having the vest was cause for alarm with the officer. Granted, bad guys with vests are very frightening folks to LEOs, but at the same time, the vest alone is in no way an offensive item, but a passive defensive item.

Jim March
May 13, 2003, 03:38 AM
Sidenote: you can make a GOOD case that even a halfway decent Level II vest is a very good idea for motorcyclists as crash armor.

Open Carry
May 13, 2003, 03:39 AM
In Arizona, wearing body armor during the comission of a felony is an additional felony in itself. It is also an aggravating circumstance which could add 1.5-3 years to a sentence. So if you CCW with it and you make some feloneous error , it may cost you.

That first felony could be speeding.

13-3116 (http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/03116.htm)

Jim March
May 13, 2003, 04:29 AM
Wait.

HOLD it.

Are you trying to say there's such a critter as "felony speeding" in AZ?

:eek:

Kharn
May 13, 2003, 08:30 AM
Jim March:
Lots of states have laws saying 20 (or 25 or 30) over is a low-level felony.

Kharn

El Tejon
May 13, 2003, 09:12 AM
Smil, don't know East Coast Eloi law, however most states have either sentencing enhancements or separate offenses for wearing body armour during a crime. CT could have something, check it out.

Wearing armour during shooting or training is very wise.:)

braindead0
May 13, 2003, 10:23 AM
Lots of states have laws saying 20 (or 25 or 30) over is a low-level felony.

Mind you that in most (if not all) that's over the basic speed law not the posted limit. Ie: over 65. I believe that most states have two 'speeding' laws, one covers unsafe speed for conditions (that would be doing 55 in a twisty 2 lane neighborhood for example) and excessive speed which covers over 65 (or 70/75 in some states perhaps).

The difference is one is exceeding a speed limit, the other is exceeding 'safe speed for conditions'.

Just what I remember from Cali.

El Tejon
May 13, 2003, 10:55 AM
brain, in most cases there are a lot more than just 2 if you include ordinances, infractions and criminal statutes.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Legality surroundign vest and firearms" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!