Ruger P 89

PDA

Ghostrider_23
September 21, 2006, 08:05 AM
I was thinking of getting a Ruger P89. How would you rate that gun as far as it's accuracy goes, is it an accurate gun for 25 yard shooting. What grouping could I expect. :confused:

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger P 89" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Lucky 7
September 21, 2006, 08:23 AM
Ghostrider I can remember shooting one that my uncle had some years back. Pretty accurate weapon albeit chunky (then again I was 16 and weighed all of 130 lbs last time I handled one, everything is bigger when you were young).
Saw one in the pawn shop yesterday for $275. Didn't get a chance to fondle it...maybe today after work.

Regards
-L7

Glockensig
September 21, 2006, 08:33 AM
I shot a six shot 4 -5/8" group once....... at 50 yards!!:)

Blue .45
September 21, 2006, 07:46 PM
I never shot my P89 from a bench rest so can't give you accurate numbers. However, off-hand I can hit a soda can at about twenty feet. I can also say you're not likely to find a better value on a 9mm. Some say the P95 is the best of the Ruger P series pistols so you might want to give that one a look as well. For more technical data, You might want to check the ruger forums. Lots of knowledgeable people who will give an honest assessment.

http://www.rugerforum.com/cgi-bin/cgiwrap/rugerforum/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro

kir_kenix
September 21, 2006, 07:54 PM
i really dont know what kind of grouping you can expect...but you should be able to knock pop cans down all day long w/ that thing. its a really good gun. i have put a couple thousand rounds through it w/ only one h,ang up. it will eat any ammo that you can find and you could run the darn thing over w/ a tank and it would still fire. sure there are more accurate 9's out there, but for the money you will be hard up to find something as reliable, accurate, and backed as well as a ruger.

Navy87Guy
September 21, 2006, 08:00 PM
My P89 was solid, reliable and accurate. I never shoot at 25 yds, so I can't tell you what to expect. I will say that the gun is probably more accurate than the average shooter. I just sold mine to a buddy, but I still have it's "little cousin" the P93.

One thing to consider in the P89 vs. P95 debate is that the P89 has removable grips while the P95 is molded. If you're a fan of Hogue-style grips, the P89 offers you more flexibility.

Jim

rcellis
September 21, 2006, 09:33 PM
I've been interested in the 94 - I see it as a 95 with an alloy frame - so you can change grip panels.

I sold my P93 (a slightly shorter version of the 94) - now I miss it.

The Ruger P series are solid guns that will not let you down. But they ARE somewhat heavy.

CAnnoneer
September 21, 2006, 10:05 PM
I have a KP89 and like it a lot. I shoot without rest but at shorter distances. On a good day, I can get a 3in group at 25 feet, but the gun itself is better than that.

In general, unless you are really good, a quality pistol will be better than you.

EdLaver
September 21, 2006, 10:13 PM
step it up a notch and get the Ruger p90 .45acp almost the same price as the p89 with more punch and bang for your buck. They look exactly the same except the bigger hole at the end of the barrel.:D

brett30030
September 21, 2006, 10:19 PM
It is the Sherman tank of guns. Not the fastest, lightest, or prettiest, but it gets the job done. I would think that when it comes to durability and longevity, that it would be a top 5 of all time in its class. It is just a basic durable workhorse gun.

jlh26oo
September 22, 2006, 01:39 AM
Well I actually have sat down and tested groups, rested on a sandbag at 25 yards. And FAR from shooting primo stuff (this was cci aluminum and wwb), I have actually gotten best 5 shot groups just a hair over 2". Of course that's not the norm, and they averaged three+ inches (I remember the best groups always came in the middle of the mag, but if you don't cheat and use the ones you want to it was ~3"). Might have been better with some nice target loads.

Anyways, they are plenty accurate enough, especially for the price. Just as accurate as my 34, if not more, but I didn't shoot it as well- ergonomics/trigger etc seem to matter more than mechanical accuracy in practical shooting (like standing up, not slow fire etc), to me anyways.

As stated, the ruger p series most notable strenghts are it's toughness, robustness, durability, reliability etc. Ergonomics (for me) were not that great (as I prefer consistent trigger action, I went for the DAO version instead of the decocker, which literally gave me about a 30 pound trigger- makes those groups I got all the more amazing). And heavy/blocky, but can still obviously be concealed. For the price, accuracy is great imo for a centerfire auto that is, but if you are just wanting to see how tight of groups you can make from a rest at 25 yds on the cheap, go with rimfire or a revolver, or both. I used to be focused on just what you are doing now, trying to get super small groups, but when I realized how I shoot most of the time, just standing up and shooting, "inherent" accuracy seemed to matter less, and I quit testing that. Besides, my kmk678gc can put 5 shots <1" from that distance, but I tend to shoot it the least.

I'll also second the vote for a p90. I've never shot one, but it might even be more accurate than the p89. If I ever got one, or another p89, I'd say consistent trigger pull be damned, and just go with a decocker. The dao pull is WAY too heavy. Takes some getting used to before you really realize it's grouping potential. And even if you can, a 20-30 pound trigger is going to give you carpal tunnel, so avoid the dao lol.

:uhoh:

Ghostrider_23
September 22, 2006, 09:12 AM
Thanks all I have just entered the Ruger world. I have a P345 and a P90, I wanted the P89 because it seems like the P90 just in 9mm. Cheap ammo practice with the same style gun is what I'm after. Use the P89 to practice then work with the P90 and conceal the P345.:scrutiny:

After tons of money buying different guns (SIG, Glock, Kahr, ETC), I fell in love with Rugers. I still have my collection of 1911's

bakert
September 22, 2006, 06:46 PM
I don't have a P89 but do have it's daddy, the P85. It's been the most absolute reliable auto I've ever used. No tack driver but more than accurate enough at 7 to 10 yds. These three suit most of my needs with the P97 being my everyday carry gun.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f241/brumanj/Picture262.jpg

Drewrw
September 22, 2006, 10:03 PM
step it up a notch and get the Ruger p90 .45acp almost the same price as the p89 with more punch and bang for your buck. They look exactly the same except the bigger hole at the end.

Yeah, the hole that is a little bigger costs a lot more to shoot as well. Plus as you say the "bigger hole" can be accomplished as well by purchasing good ammo for the 9mm.

:banghead: :banghead:

kansas45
September 23, 2006, 12:41 AM
Get the P89. You'll love it! Mine has been muddy, wet, dusty, you name it. I don't abuse it or any other firearm on purpose, but stuff happen's. Anyway, that's why I take it with me for outdoor activitie's. It's rugged & reliable. I do take it to the range from time to time & on a good day can groupe 4" @ 25yd's with WWB. I just loaded several different bullet/powder combo's tonight & will test them tomorrow or Sunday. I did that because my shootin buddy uses his P89 for Bulls Eye & wanted to improve the accuracy. If you do buy one I recomend the KP89DC. i like the de-cock idea. Good luck!

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger P 89" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!