Springfield XD vs Glock Triggers

PDA

Lonestar
September 21, 2006, 01:00 PM
I'm not trying to start a debate about the overall quality of with these weapons, I just want to talk about triggers comparison. I have a friend that is considering buying either a Glock 26 or a Springfield XD subcompact. He owns a few revolver but this would be his first Semi auto. He has tried my G26 and is Ok with it but he wants something a little longer and a little heavier. I never handled a XD but I read everything from that they have the same trigger pull, to that the XD is longer, light and mushy. I know the Trigger stroke on my Glock is a half an inch and I can always adjust the spring to make it heavy or light. He likes the pull on my Kel Tec P3at which about 6lb and almost a full inch of pull. Is the XD trigger adjustable, and is the pull a lot more than the Glock?

Can anyone who owns both give me a comparison

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield XD vs Glock Triggers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
HMMurdock
September 21, 2006, 04:35 PM
I have shot the hell out of both. I do not think the XD is adjustable, but I could be wrong. And yes, the XD trigger pull is a lot longer and mushy, with a lot of overtravel. It is a lot like a revolver, but the Glock trigger is a bit more efficient if you ask me. Both are primo, so either one is win-win. If he isn't already used to the glock trigger and prefers revolvers, he might like the XD better because of the extra travel.

Just my two bits...

TRL

Exmasonite
September 22, 2006, 12:27 AM
as far as the XD not being "adjustable"... i know there are some really good smiths out there who can turn the XD trigger into a dream.

Rich at Canyon Creek and Springer Precision are the 2 that come to mind.

I have a .40 service... i'm not the best shot. I can usually do about 4" groups at 10 yards (still learning). I fired 2 clips on a service .40 w/ the Canyon Creek Trigger job. First one was a little rough, getting used to it but the 2nd one was a 2.25" group... my best by far. 4 lb break, reduced overtravel/preset whatever... i want one.

Lonestar
September 22, 2006, 10:00 AM
I hear you can make an XD trigger lighter, but can you make it heavier?

JoeK
September 22, 2006, 02:14 PM
I had an XD45 that I had sold. It was great gun, but it wasn't for me. The trigger did have a lot of overtravel and felt kind of spongy. My G19 doesn't have the best trigger in the world, but I do prefer it over the XD.

A few bucks and a trip to the smith and an XD will have a significantly better trigger.

ETXhiker
September 22, 2006, 08:12 PM
A factory XD trigger is plenty heavy for safety. Why would you want it any heavier?

nitesite
September 22, 2006, 08:49 PM
I have one Glock and one XD.

G29 and XD-45.

As I shoot them more and more, the Glock trigger 'feel' remains the same and the XD continues to get better (catching up?). All the usual 'shorter/crisper/faster reset/yadda-yadda' goes to Glock.

Actually, I don't mind the longer travel of the XD trigger. After lots of years of DA revolver shooting it seems natural enough.

I have no plans to part with either.

Riktoven
September 22, 2006, 09:20 PM
I know it's not quite on topic, but I would suggest you friend give the P99 a look.

Lots of trigger options available and has a nice rounded grip...curvy like revolver grips instead of the 2x4 feel.

10-Ring
September 22, 2006, 09:57 PM
From what I've noticed, Glock triggers feel the same regardless of age, caliber, size of frame or number of rounds through the gun. Good or bad, they're very consistent. As for the XD, I've had the experience that trigger can be short & crisp or longish but also crisp.

pablo45
September 23, 2006, 12:41 AM
Shot both owned both. Still love the glock

kansas45
September 23, 2006, 12:47 AM
I didn't think my XD45 Tactical's trigger was too bad, but I had my gunsmith work on it. Now it's perfect for my taste. I have shot a few Glock's but I don't own any. I might someday, but for now I'm not a Glock fan.

boomstik45
September 23, 2006, 01:07 AM
I've shot several of both. I feel like the XD trigger is crisper at the break than the Glock. Some people feel the exact opposite, so it's a perception thing. The glock has without a doubt a quicker reset. The XD trigger DOES, however, get better with age, most experiences of people I know is that it is obviously better after 500 rds and sweet closer to 1000 rds. I can deal with that. However, if you can't wait that long, Springfield Armory offers several customizations to the XD. They include combat trigger jobs (4-4.5lb pull), competition action trigger jobs (3-3.5 lb pull), sight jobs (several kinds) and various other customizations and packages. Go to SpringfieldArmory.com. When you get there, click on XD pistols. Once there, click on XD custom. A new page will load and there you will find three complete package offers and 25 different individual services you can have done to the frame, sights, barrels, guide rod, trigger, and finish. Prices of each package (packages provide details about what services come with each package) and each individual customization are also provided. If you ask me, this much being offered on a weapon like this should tell you one thing: Springfield is very serious about the XD and wants to sell Glock and everyone else right out of town. One note of caution. People I know who have dabbled in customizations say that even if you get a trigger job, be it Springfield or Canyon Creek, the XD trigger naturally smoothes out by itself anyway. So if you get a competition trigger job, you could end up with something that has a bit of a hair trigger. Not a proven fact that I've experienced, but a possibility nonetheless.

boomstik45
September 23, 2006, 01:12 AM
Kansas 45, if you like the XD tactical, I doubt you'll pick up a glock for a while unless you want a smaller model. I traded my glock 21 in on a bi-tone xd tactical in .45 acp today. I have put plenty of rounds through the service model. They just feel better to me than the glock does, and I've shot glock for several years. Funny thing is, the tactical isn't much bigger than the 21 in overall dimensions. While the slide is longer, that ridiculous hump in the back of the glock is missing in the XD, so the overall length is barely more than an inch. Can't beat that.

gazpacho
September 23, 2006, 01:14 AM
You might suggest to your friend an H&K with a LEM trigger. I'm pretty certain you can configure it with a long DOA 8lb pull.

mtgbob1
July 28, 2009, 01:36 PM
I have the XD 9MM and want to reduce the trigger pull, overtravel and reset.

I understand the combat trigger job from Springfield will reduce the trigger pull to around 4.5lbs and the competition job will reduce to around 3.5lbs.

I want the lowest but still want it to be as reliable as it is now. On some guns I've heard a trigger job will reduce the reliablity of the gun, in fact I believe that is Springfields position, but they maybe worried about liablity.

I am looking for some real world experience. Has anyone ever had the competition job done and run into misfires or other problems? I see guys shooting at the competitions and I know the last thing they want is a misfire and their guns seem extremely reliable.

Doogledog
July 28, 2009, 01:54 PM
I've owned both. A g23C and an XD9. I have to say I agree that the trigger travel on the XD is a little long but, I feel as thought the XD breaks much more crisply and feels lighter than the Glock trigger. I enjoy them both and I think they are great pistols but I personally like the XD trigger better.

Just One Shot
July 28, 2009, 02:35 PM
the XD trigger pull is a lot longer and mushy, with a lot of overtravel.
:what:

Mushy?

You must be referring to an older model because I have 2 and they definitely are not mushy. This is one of the reasons that I purchased the second one.

possum
July 28, 2009, 05:54 PM
i prefer the xd triggers, i own both xd and glock. i don't know why he would want a trigger that was " a little longer and a little heavier" that is normally the opposite of most folks. anyway if he wanted too he could always put the NY trigger in the glock, and then i bet he would want a lighter pull after that!:)

if he wants the feel of a revolver trigger in a semi auto the only thing i can say that is close is a kahr.

NG VI
July 29, 2009, 04:24 AM
A few bucks and a trip to the smith and an XD will have a significantly better trigger.

That would be a deal breaker if it were my decision, since the Glock trigger can be set up in a variety of ways by someone with just the smallest amount of effort over ordinary field stripping, for the cost of the parts and with no tools other than either the Glock tool or whatever size punch it is, I think 3/32". Also, the 26 can be given a smooth faced trigger while the connector or trigger spring of choice is being put in, and it is a major improvement. I also used a half-round file to reshape the front of the safety bar, so it doesn't protrude so obnoxiously. Helps the trigger finger out.

I like the 3.5# connector, I haven't tried fooling with them too much, just the changes to the trigger face and a 3.5# in both of mine and it feels great. Still plenty of control with the 3.5#, lighter, it's a really well-designed system I think. A chimp could do a trigger job on them.

Sapper771
July 29, 2009, 10:09 AM
I have owned 2 XDs , a 45 service and a 45 tactical. I like the actual feel of the trigger on the xd as in it is metal and wide, but I do not like the long reset of the xd trigger. I have owned a lot of glocks in 9mm, 40, 357sig, and 45.
The glock factory trigger is ok, but what is so good about it, if the factory glock trigger is not to you standards.....all you have to do is order $20-$40 worth of parts and change them out yourself, and the trigger is noticeably better. You do not have to send your glock out to a gunsmith and wait for it to return, like you will have to do with the xd. What I normally run in my glocks is this : 3.5lb connector, wolf ultimate trigger stop, and a polish job.
I would love to get a XDm in 45 when it comes out, but the trigger on the xdm has improved.....trigger reset has not.

Sam1911
July 29, 2009, 10:36 AM
You do not have to send your glock out to a gunsmith and wait for it to return, like you will have to do with the xd.As I just aquired an XDM, I've been looking into this a bit myself. There are some very nice drop-in kits to reduce the take-up, shorten the re-set, and get rid of excess over-travel in an xD.

You can always send out a pistol to a competent 'smith to get the best trigger job. But you can swap parts and modify things pretty well yourself if you are so inclined.

Having said that, I think I'll shoot mine for a while as is. It really isn't all that bad, stock. Not like a good 1911, but not bad. A little too much overtravel. About 2x more reset length than would be perfect. The take-up doesn't bother me. Looking at Powder River Precision (http://shop.powderriverprecision.net/category.sc?categoryId=3), I could spend less than $100 and put a fantastic trigger in my gun, right on my kitchen table. Or buy individual parts to alter either "issue" to my liking.

-Sam

remington79
July 29, 2009, 03:48 PM
I have an XD45 Compact and a G30SF. I find that the XD trigger is a hair lighter in feel but has a lot of over travel after the trigger breaks. It also has a lot of take up and is a spongy feel. The Glock trigger is a hair heavier than the XD but with short take up and short over travel. I find the XD trigger has a Very Long reset while the Glock has a nice short reset. I'll take the Glock trigger any day.

LancerMW
July 29, 2009, 04:20 PM
i think the XD trigger reset is to long and their is still slack you have to pull even after you do the "trigger reset" unlike the Glocks trigger reset which when it resets their is no slack to take up again

GForceLizard
July 29, 2009, 04:54 PM
If you are looking at a Glock 26 make sure you also take a look at the Smith & Wesson M&P Compact 9mm. I shoot Glock but think the M&P is the best double action striker fired on the market today. Sorry it won't give him that longer trigger pull.

If you enjoyed reading about "Springfield XD vs Glock Triggers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!