range report springer mil-spec

PDA

ralpho1
September 21, 2006, 03:55 PM
Recently, I aquired from a private owner, a slightly used mil-spec w/ 4 mags and kramer leather. After all the back and forth I paid $375. I then took my oldest son with me to the range to test drive it. It shot to p.o.a and digested all. After market no name mags even worked. Hp rounds and hardball alike.Total spent rounds, maybe 150. On the way home my son, who had been unusually quiet, said he has always wanted a 45 like that since he was a child (had a plastic replica colt) Needless to say I am back on the hunt for a mil-spec springer. They are really nice guns for the money.

If you enjoyed reading about "range report springer mil-spec" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
redneckdan
September 22, 2006, 09:02 AM
I scrapped and saved last fall until I could get a 1911. Wanted a GI .45, they weren't availbile. I checked out the OD mil-spes, nada. Finally found a SS mil-spec and got it. I'm thourghly happy with it.

Dirty Bob
September 22, 2006, 09:44 AM
Congratulations on a good purchase at a nice price, and especially:

Congratulations on raising your son right!

Best wishes,
Dirty Bob

Just_a_dude_with_a_gun
September 22, 2006, 10:03 AM
I settled for the GI.... :neener: as after the shot show, it was all I could find in stock at a decent "old" price. I couldn't be happier.

ralpho1
September 22, 2006, 11:28 AM
I also own a colt late model series 80 government in stainless, and am hard pressed to find any glaring differences between it and the mil-spec. the only mention is really just a personal one. I prefer the flat mainspring housing to the arched. But i think the "parked" version is more to my liking, than the stainless. It reallly is a toss-up.

Dienekes
September 22, 2006, 09:39 PM
Have had a SS Mil-Spec for about two-three years now, just got over 1000 rounds through it. One of the few guns I have not felt a need to go into as it has worked just fine. It did shoot about 4" high at 20 yds for me so I had a dovetail cut up front and installed a slightly higher front sight. Also wanted a mainspring housing with lanyard loop, so swapped into a parkerized SA one and had it hard chromed to match the finish. Installed a nice set of Spegel walnut stocks and there it sits. Good trigger, good sights, accurate, reliable.

Shot my first 1911 in 1959 and visited Gunsite-Land with one in 1989 so I am fairly familiar with the breed. I like this one.

My glockaholic daughter asked to try it on her last visit home and liked it very much. If she contrives to get one I am going to have to think seriously about getting a Dillon progressive reloader.

10-Ring
September 22, 2006, 09:59 PM
Another 1911 found a good home, congrats!

If you enjoyed reading about "range report springer mil-spec" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!